aberdeen-music

DOWNSTAIRS! Needs YOU! (To play or promote gigs!)

Downstairs Gav

Hey Guys and Gals and everything inbetween!!

My name is Gav! One of the owners of The Malt Mill and Downstairs! (www.Facebook.com/DownstairsAberdeen)

We are looking for bands willing to play shows so we can start booking up next year now! 
Simple message the facebook page (Preferd be me) or email Gdbars@Gmail.com (I don't deal with the emails really but Dave always lets me know about bands messaging it  :D )

So yeah, any genre, any experience although currently 18+ only please

We may be able to do 14+ soon, we find out on december 10th when we have a board meeting with the licensing board in Town House!

Promoters! We are willing to negotiate to give you the best deal on using us for your shows!!! So please get in touch!!!!

Hope to hear from you all soon!

The younger bands can be terrible for business. Pubs/venues make money from booze. So if everyone is on the irn bru, they could hike up ticket prices but younger crowds have less disposable income and therefore less likely to pay higher prices.

That said, youngsters move in large packs so if you can really ram a crowd in maybe it offsets. I remember the days of working the emo bands at Drummonds and it was always Slooooww behind the bar despite there being tons of people in.

The younger bands can be terrible for business. Pubs/venues make money from booze. So if everyone is on the irn bru, they could hike up ticket prices but younger crowds have less disposable income and therefore less likely to pay higher prices.

That said, youngsters move in large packs so if you can really ram a crowd in maybe it offsets. I remember the days of working the emo bands at Drummonds and it was always Slooooww behind the bar despite there being tons of people in.

Is there not more mark-up on non-alcoholic drinks than alcoholic drinks?

Dont get me wrong i benefited HUGELY from them letting kids into gigs, but it almost always ended up being a nightmare to deal with. Yes you do get those kids only interested in music and wanting to see bands. But you get that portion who are there to get drunk away from their parents, andthose are the ones that bring down for everyone. 

Dont get me wrong i benefited HUGELY from them letting kids into gigs, but it almost always ended up being a nightmare to deal with. Yes you do get those kids only interested in music and wanting to see bands. But you get that portion who are there to get drunk away from their parents, andthose are the ones that bring down for everyone. 

Yeah - I'm not saying that kids shouldn't be allowed in or anything like that.  Just trying to look at it from the point of view of the owner/manager of a venue/bar.  These places are there to make money and dealing with a (large) group of drunk teenagers (who didn't get drunk by spending money in your venue) is a nightmare.  There is also the added hassle of making sure that they don't get drunk on your premises or somehow sneak a drink from the bar or whatever.

It just may not seem worth the hassle of the added ticket revenue.

I think if done really well, it could work.  Possibly just make the under 18s nights totally alcohol free and only for under 18s.  Close the bar completely and just concentrate on ticket revenue.  Maybe.

surely if you have people 18+ drinking lots of alcohol AS WELL AS 14-18 year olds drinking soft drinks, that's better than just having the former alone, no?

Well, yes and no.  There is then the risk of 18+ buying drinks for the kiddies etc.  It's just a potential pain in the arse for the owner/manager of the venue.

Like I said above, it's not that I'm personally against under 18s going to gigs - far from it, in fact.  Just pointing out why a small venue may not want to have under 18s in.