aberdeen-music

Weezer - the most important rock band of the last decade

Guest Tam o' Shantie

ok well how about greenday then?

dookie landmark record

influence the likes of blink nfg those sort of bands

I think if you look at all the bands they've influenced, they're more likely to be up for "Band who should have been stopped before they released an album" award rather than Most Important Band Of The Past Decade.

But than that's because I hate new Found Glory, Blink 182 etc, and also cos I've never really seen the attraction in Green Day. As far as I can see, they've done nothing new.

ok well how about greenday then?

dookie landmark record

influence the likes of blink nfg those sort of bands

But would you say they are the most influencial?

Sure to punk/pop punk whatever then maybe yeah, but to more metal kind of music you wouldnt think so.

Its a hard one definatley, i would say maybe Nirvana but then someone else will say they are shit so it depends on what youve listened to i suppose. Different people will think differently about it

But would you say they are the most influencial?

Sure to punk/pop punk whatever then maybe yeah' date=' but to more metal kind of music you wouldnt think so.

Its a hard one definatley, i would say maybe Nirvana but then someone else will say they are shit so it depends on what youve listened to i suppose. Different people will think differently about it[/quote']

In Utero was released in 1993. Therefore, they're ineligable. And that's not even the one that people are influenced by.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Weezer have influenced about every decent rock band going right now! in terms of straight up rock their early work is some of the finest in existence! they are important to the notion and concensus of rock. they have that untouchable indescribable X factor too which most bands lack. amzing

weezer, a great band, but not "important".

I don't really think there have been any "important" rock bands in the last 10 years...

tool, possibly, but, King Crimson did the "clever / crazy timing shit" before they did, But I like to think that tool are getting "kids to think a bit" instead of the usual mono brown, hadbanging balls that metal can be (phil asshole...ansalmo, for instance, (pantsterror's....pantera's singer))

Theres no way weezer are at all important. It's got to be something nu-metal' date=' Korn? and if you want to look at their influences then you have Primus, faith no more etc. Some of Korns really early stuff is pretty good, when they were called L.A.P.D I think.[/quote']

Aye, Faith No More pretty much invented Nu-Metal.

But let's not hold that against them :up:

Certainly not! the first nu-metal bands were ace - and some pretty fucking original ideas!

I wouldn't know about that. See when I see the term Nu Metal, I think of Limp Bizkit, Linkin park and Korn, all of which I hate.

However, I'd like to think there may be some decent nu-metal bands that didn't get the same attention.

Linkin Park...for the simple reason that imagine the number of people who watched linkin park explode and said "if those fucking buttmunchers can make money doing that then everybody can...lets form a band and take over the world!...and then get linkin park to eat our faeces for cheesy puffs...yeah they'd like that...those fucking bitches...BITCHEEES"...goes to buy Fender...and find some friends...but not before he shaves his 6ft long beard...and has a wash cos he's been watching mtv for 5 years straight since he killed his whole family and disposed of their bodies in fred dursts garden...because bob fucking hates fred durst...and so do i...i really really do!

i think that if a band manages to release 2 of the very best albums of the decade then they have to be described as important...and in The Blue album and Pinkerton they have done just that. In my opinion these albums are some of the best displays of consistently amazing songwriting you will find in a modern rock record.

as far as other "important" bands go you can never leave out radiohead from this. i dont think anyone else has been as consistantly good over the last 10 years as they have. and before someone says it, kid A and amnesiac are incredible records...whether they are to your taste or not is where the debate lies.