aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

I wouldn't say Bayern were the better team, they had more possession but struggled to create clear chances because Real defended extremely well. Unlike Chelsea they managed to do while maintaining a real attacking threat themselves. I think it's unfortunate for the tie that Bayern didn't get an away goal, that would have left it very evenly balanced but now Madrid can sit back and potentially kill the tie with an away goal on the counter.

Aside from being a hugely respected and stern manager with tried and tested methods, what makes Van Gaal suited to the job? He hasn't won anything for a while, never worked in England, do his tactics suit the club? I'm not 100% sure why he's touted as the favorite. Just because he's available?

He's very ruthless, and I think that stands in his favour, considering the squad needs to be overhauled. The next manager can't pussyfoot about. He's got to rip it apart. Moyes was a nice man, and was probably the most diplomatic man on earth. he had a long winded way of saying absolutely nothing. Van Gaal is going to storm in and just wreck the place. It'll be ace.

I think tactically, he is very good, and it's possibly irrelevant on what tactics suit the club now, considering the level of which the squad needs to be refreshed. If anything, his possession-hogging tactic is what United could do with, after years of playing ugly Mourinho-style football. United have players like Kagawa, Mata and RVP, but are playing direct, get-it-in-the-box Sunday League football. A tactical overhaul is arguably crucial as a squad overhaul. Wingers and pace are historically the "United way" but it's no good sticking with that because it's tradition, especially when United have zero good wingers right now, yet are well stocked with fluid attacking playmakers.

I wouldn't say Bayern were the better team, they had more possession but struggled to create clear chances because Real defended extremely well. Unlike Chelsea they managed to do while maintaining a real attacking threat themselves. I think it's unfortunate for the tie that Bayern didn't get an away goal, that would have left it very evenly balanced but now Madrid can sit back and potentially kill the tie with an away goal on the counter.

I agree. Possession is meaningless unless you do something with it. Gotze's chance aside, Bayern rarely threatened, and it was the same against United in the first leg. Real hardly had any of the ball, but still had more shots on target and the much better chances. Ronaldo fluffed an absolute sitter. Di Maria scuffed a couple of shots as well. A full strength Madrid would have killed the tie last night.

I still want Bayern to win though, and Atletico to go through as well.

There was a good conversation on the latest Football Ramble about how Moyes just didn't grasp how big of a club Man U are and was unable to make the step up. It included a couple of stories I hadn't heard before.

Apparently a few years back he took his Everton players on a very successful team bonding trip to Bondi Beach and he tried to do the same thing with the United squad. Of course this was impossible because of public interest in the team and ended up with players hiding from fans on the roof of a bar waiting for transport to take them away.

I think all the talk in the Summer about how the club and fans were prepared for a rough patch made Moyes think he just had to aim for 4th place rather than aim for the title but top 4 being acceptable this year. Certainly from listening to him it never sounded as if he seriously considered his team title contenders. 

I hadn't heard that one, but there's so much coming out this week, it's hard to know how much is true.

One I've heard today is that Moyes' training methods rarely involved the use of a football. Technique, passing, tactical shape etc were all overlooked for fitness, strength and stamina drills.

Nicky Butt and Warren Joyce had the academy kids working on passing and close control, but allegedly Moyes stepped in and reverted them away from that and turned the kids towards similar stuff to the first team, turning all the kids into athletic mini-hulks, or something. Just be fast and strong. Football is secondary.

There was a former Everton coach who blasted Moyes a few months ago for similar stuff as well.

It's amazing how some people can be so set in their ways. He must have been aware that most people would consider that approach wrong and upset many people yet he still pushed on certain he had the right ideas.

The Bondi incident is written about here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10778462/David-Moyes-failed-to-learn-lessons-of-Bondi-and-was-out-of-his-depth-from-moment-he-replaced-Sir-Alex-Ferguson.html

Edited by Paranoid Android

Some rumours going around Newcastle local press that Mike Ashley's a bit excited about David Moyes becoming available. He will allegedly ask Pardew to account for our 2014 slump at an end of season summit and offer Moyes the job if Pardew fails to satisfy.

I'd be delighted with that. Pardew is a charlatan and jumped the shark a long time ago. Moyes would do an excellent job with our players, and he's already used to working in an environment with curtailed budgets and expectations. Anything to overcome the embarrassment of our current set-up would be nice, really.

It's amazing how some people can be so set in their ways. He must have been aware that most people would consider that approach wrong and upset many people yet he still pushed on certain he had the right ideas.

The Bondi incident is written about here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10778462/David-Moyes-failed-to-learn-lessons-of-Bondi-and-was-out-of-his-depth-from-moment-he-replaced-Sir-Alex-Ferguson.html

The one thing the article fails at, is Ferguson didnt train the team, his staff did, Fergie actually spent very little time training the players by the end, his coaching team and senior players did. Ferguson was more of a figure head by the end. 

The one thing the article fails at, is Ferguson didnt train the team, his staff did, Fergie actually spent very little time training the players by the end, his coaching team and senior players did. Ferguson was more of a figure head by the end. 

I think he was a little bit more than a figure head, as he was still involved in training, though Phelan and Meulensteen were acually partaking, since Fergie probably couldn't run anymore.

Though it probably proved further just how silly Moyes was to get rid of The Phelensteen.

I've read a couple of interviews with Ferguson in the last few years where the interviewer mentions that they had to arrive at Carrington at something like 7am because it was the only time in the day Fergie could give them half an hour. He might not have been leading training everyday but I get the impression that for a club that size he was overseeing and directly involved with more aspects of running the club than anyone else would have been.

Yesterday's Guardian had an article by Russel Brand about Moyes and the United job. I didn't read it because I don't care what he had to say about it but I suppose it's a good example that this job really isn't like others in British football.

I may be wrong but I think Brand is an actual footy fan.  West Ham rings a bell.  He doesn't look like he'd be into football, but I think he is.  Perhaps not so unusual that he's writing an article about the Man United manager.  But yeah, I know what you mean - he isn't exactly a football pundit.

I may be wrong but I think Brand is an actual footy fan.  West Ham rings a bell.  He doesn't look like he'd be into football, but I think he is.  Perhaps not so unusual that he's writing an article about the Man United manager.  But yeah, I know what you mean - he isn't exactly a football pundit.

He was better on Match of the day that weekend than Shearer and Hanson/Lawro have been for years.

He is a genuine footy fan and expressed his opinions on the show in a pretty good way.

I think Welbeck could be a really good player for a mid tier team he seems to be getting a lot better.  He just can't put the ball in the net.  It's really important for a forward but with a run of games he probably could do it.

If he stays at Manyoo he will forever not quite be good enough and be a sub or get started out wide in a front three.

Welbeck would score plenty if he could get a game at centre forward. When he's played up front this season, he's scored much more often than not. He's a superb finisher when given the chance. He's a bit useless on the wing, though he makes up for it by grafting.

Rooney has been dire in the 2nd half of the season, and RVP is injured. I don't understand how Welbeck hasn't gotten more games up top.