aberdeen-music

The Dark Knight Rises (***WARNING SPOILERS***)

Lemonade

When someone did the climb out of the pit, and they fell for about 50 feet, and then immediately came to a halt because of the rope, how come that person didn't like, y'know, die from being broken in half from the velocity of falling 50 feet and then snapped back by a rope with no give whatsoever?

That would have made the climb more sinister, by showing that if you fail, you're fucking dead. But no. Bit of rope and you're fine.

• Upvote 1

Now Clearing All These Bricks By Hand It Was So Very Slow

So I Hoisted Up A barrel And Secured A Rope Below

But In Me Haste To Do The Job, I Was Too Blind To See

That A barrel Full Of Building Bricks Was Heavier Than Me

And So When I Untied The Rope The barrel Fell Like Lead

And Clinging Tightly To The Rope I Started Up Instead

I Shot Up Like A Rocket, And To My Dismay I Found

That Halfway Up I Met The Bloody barrel Coming Down

• Upvote 1

The rope was on a pulley, so as the person climbed, the guy at the bottom would take the slack. I lot of the drop was the rope stretching and decellerating the person tied to it.

The film didn't show that though. It showed someone fall, at what looked like full speed and velocity to my eyes, and then come to an immediate halt from rope tied around their waist. It didn't look like their fall was being slowed down, nor did it show someone being responsible for slowing down the fall. A fall like that should essentially break someone in half. I don't really mind about that plothole, but just thought it would have been a much more daunting task if the result of a failed climb was death by being snapped in two.

I did, but the fall doesn't slow down. They fall. Then the fall is instantly broken. Snap! He doesn't bring the fall to a slow gradual stop, does he? Pretty sure he doesn't. They just halt at what looks like full speed, regardless of whether or not it momentarily pans to someone allegedly holding the rope. It showed some guy to the climb before Bruce Wayne did it. I actually thought it killed him when he fell. I realised it didn't kill him when Bruce Wayne had a few goes.

Where's Dubya? He knows ropes and falling and safety and stuff.

• Upvote 2

I did, but the fall doesn't slow down. They fall. Then the fall is instantly broken. Snap! He doesn't bring the fall to a slow gradual stop, does he? Pretty sure he doesn't. They just halt at what looks like full speed, regardless of whether or not it momentarily pans to someone allegedly holding the rope. It showed some guy to the climb before Bruce Wayne did it. I actually thought it killed him when he fell. I realised it didn't kill him when Bruce Wayne had a few goes.

Where's Dubya? He knows ropes and falling and safety and stuff.

You are making the mistake of assuming that the film is real life .... its a movie ! and one based around a comic book... normal rules don't apply... But it was still a heap of shite...

I hate that argument. I'm only willing to accept the premise a film lays out. Batman is set in a fictional city but all the rules of reality are real. Shoot someone, they die. Fall from a height, break bones and/or die. Bruce Wayne can kick a lot of ass, but with a recently broken back, falling from a height being hoisted by the wasit would snap him in half.

xx

• Upvote 3

The film involved people. People are vulnerable. Even Bruce Wayne is vulnerable. He is tough and good at fighting, but he's not a super human. Things that kill people in real life should kill people in a film. They spent a quarter of a billion dollars making it look as realistic as possible, so realism was definitely part of the ethos for the film.

I just saw it tonight. Can't be arsed reading the whole thread but I thought it was great. Very happy with it especially as I found TDK to be disappointing (apart from The Joker). This was great though, a bit cheesy at times but never went too far and maybe got the balance right to make it the best of the 3.

Ok I went back one page and saw this. Die Hard 4 is great. Certainly not the weakest of the series which is obviously 2.

2 is fucking horrific, with 4.0 being a hell of a lot better. It also has Bruce Willis in it, so it's not some pissy little add-on where they've just reused the title (like Free Willy, Home Alone etc...)