aberdeen-music

Hardcore/Metal(ish) band wanted

Jaaakkkeee

Clothes don't come in to it. In fact, this time 10 years ago - it was who could wear the baggiest jeans that counted!

Big contradiction there. You're saying clothes don't come into it, then you say that there is a definite change in fashion - basically swinging from one extreme to the other - which coincides with skate punk becoming less popular and hardcore taking it's place as the "mainstream alternative genre". I'm not saying that hardcore is a fad, it's been around too long for that, but I am saying that this absolute saturation of every local scene with hardcore music (from good to fucking dreadful) will blow over eventually.

While 5-10 years ago every kid who picked up a guitar started their first band playing covers from Enema of the State or Dookie, now it's A Day To Remember (or whoever are the Green Day of hardcore music). It's exactly the same, just a bit different. The hairstyles and the clothes change, as do the chord structures from time to time, other than that it's just waves of angry kids forming a bandwagon.

xx

• Upvote 2

Big contradiction there. You're saying clothes don't come into it, then you say that there is a definite change in fashion - basically swinging from one extreme to the other - which coincides with skate punk becoming less popular and hardcore taking it's place as the "mainstream alternative genre". I'm not saying that hardcore is a fad, it's been around too long for that, but I am saying that this absolute saturation of every local scene with hardcore music (from good to fucking dreadful) will blow over eventually.

While 5-10 years ago every kid who picked up a guitar started their first band playing covers from Enema of the State or Dookie, now it's A Day To Remember (or whoever are the Green Day of hardcore music). It's exactly the same, just a bit different. The hairstyles and the clothes change, as do the chord structures from time to time, other than that it's just waves of angry kids forming a bandwagon.

xx

Exactly, 10 years ago we all played C, G and A in a 4/4, now its B#Minor, fsuspended with a 7th, in a 12/7 time signature. Kids always pick up on the fads and hammer them out, hence why we have ended up with a heap of shitty posthardcoregrindwearmytightjeanscore bands.

I'd say A Day To Remember fall under the pop punk bracket...

If you wanted to listen to real hardcore you'd crank up Black Flag.

There are a good few hardcore bands out there, like you said - some terrible, some decent. But I reckon it'll be around for a long time. Hell, it's lasted a good 20/30 years so far.

and what's wrong with tight jeans?

They're not baggy.

There is nothing really wrong with them, its just a symbol of that style of music, dont take it to heart so much, we all like and hate different things. As phil says, people should stop getting worked up over what is what, just play some music, if it sounds good and your having fun your onto a winner. If it then happens to come out sounding like your fav band then life is good. There is no need to sit down and make sure everything you do is sounding like the genre your trying to pigeonhole your band as. If your going to be a pop punk band you will instictively write pop punk songs, if your going to be a death metal band, that is what will come out. Just dont see the point in forcing a genre as the be all and end all of a bands existance.

and what's wrong with tight jeans?

They're designed to make girls asses look great. Nobody wants to see a guys ass in tight jeans, even if you're gay, they make most guys look like they've shit themselves. Plus they make your legs look stupid.

This thread is the reason why music is shit ;)

• Upvote 1

I think you have just conformed to the ignorant metalhead stereotype here a bit :p Like nearly every form of music, hardcore is ace when done well. This city needs a few more band of the likes of Grader and tbh I haven't seen that many 'pish' local hardcore bands in the 5 years I have lived here. If you had said metalcore bands then I may have agreed with you as there are still floods of generic copycat bands around the city but equally there have been some good ones over the years. I appreciate to trve kvlt metalheads anything with -core in it is shit though. Open mindedness is a wonderful thing and that is coming from me who used to think anything other than tech death was crap :p

Not ignorant - I've been to a fair few hardcore gigs and at the moment it's not what I enjoy. Different people have varying tastes and I can appreciate that. I don't just listen to metal. My other favourite bands are Vampire Weekend, The Doors, Led Zeppelin and I do enjoy quite a bit of Mozart in terms of what I play on the piano, so I probably don't conform to anything really. :) I guess I haven't found a hardcore band that stands out to me.

If you wanted to listen to real hardcore you'd crank up Black Flag.

There are a good few hardcore bands out there, like you said - some terrible, some decent. But I reckon it'll be around for a long time. Hell, it's lasted a good 20/30 years so far.

Oh yeah I don't doubt that as a genre it'll last every bit as well as punk has. It may evolve and so on but there'll always be music in this vein. My point is that the "popular" alt. genre will change. It was pop punk, now it's hardcore. I think. All the kids seem to be into hardcore anyway. I'm out of touch.

xx

EDIT: Also, guys wearing skinny as fuck jeans and shirts buttoned all the way up to the neck look absofuckingloutely ridiculous. As do those stupid deep-V tshirts. #old

It's a kind of diverse at the moment. There a re quite a few cliques. Aberdeen's music scene is strange. And the hardcore bands that are here, aren't really playing that many shows in Aberdeen. If anything, it's the one genre of music this city could be doing with more of.

I think it's funny how people no longer consider punk to be dead (I never did) but now it's the other way round.

3 notes played with something substantial and meaningful behind it are better that 1,000 notes with pish behind it.

Not getting in to the whole punk vs metal rubbish, but seriously, there are so many young british hardcore acts realeasing good music at the moment it's hard to keep up with it all.

And the fact that bands who you probably consider to be "inferior musicians" just because they don't shred through songs and gloat about all the gear they have / use are getting further than most of your current metal counter parts probably pisses you off, resulting in jealousy. Hence your snidey post.

I think it's funny how you're getting defensive on a forum. :) Where did you get the idea that I think some bands are inferior to others? Yes, it probably pisses me off - let's make uneducated assumptions here and jump to conclusions. You could perhaps consider not taking comments to heart and it'll prevent you from getting so worked up.

Why cant he dislike a certain genre without him being jealous? Your as bad as you claim him to be with your hollier than tho post. Simpe fact is some people find that kinda music as shite, i do, its pish, simple as. Doesnt mean im jealous of them or anything, just means my ears cry when they hear what these guys claim is music.

*She. :) Amen to this post, thank you.

You would lump in A Day To Remember with bands like Greenday, Blink 182 etc? That's a mental statement.

tumblr_l748d84fXy1qd6mo4o1_500.jpg

bet they're not singing about getting stoned or shagging animals....

This thread is taking a similar route to the one about your band Ross G. (that's if my memory serves me correctly and you are in a band called 'It Starts Today') The constant we are hardcore not metal etc etc says to me that being in a band is more important than being a band for you and a lot of the kids in the 'hardcore' bands flooding the scene at the minute.

• Upvote 1

Like I said, I'm not getting in to the whole punk vs metal thing. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions when it comes to music, I just don't see the point in slating another genre just because you don't like it. That's the equivalent to me saying a stereo typical anti metal statement - "put down the dean and get a haircut?" Does that count? And how exactly does it make your ears cry? Most hardcore influences are taken from straight punk / skater punk, Or do you dislike that too?

Did I slate it? No, I said that I thought it was pish (jokingly), as it's not what I prefer to listen to. Problem? Again, saying it makes your ears cry is an opinion, which he's entitled to, as you appear to have just stated.

Ross, why are you so bothered, you have a decent band, not my thing at all like but i can appreciate you guys seem to know what your doing, just enjoy the ride man, dont get bothered about any of this, just make music you like, if you happen to find another few like minded souls then you good stuff, if not, you fly the flag on your own and go for it. A city doesnt "need" any band or any style of music, if it comes up and its appreciated then good, if not, no one is missing out on anything, its just another genre, people can find an almost indefinate selection online.

• Upvote 3

And Flights - Yes. I would. Because pop punk has also changed. Modern day pop punk is ruled by bands like Hit The Lights and ADTR. Music progresses through genres.

No, It's just "start today".

And your theory is bullshit.

Id question those bands being classed as pop punk, but im probably stuck in the naughties.