aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

They really do have a good team on paper, but they look a little uninspiring when they play, which is odd. I remember thinking the same about Serbia a couple of years ago. I had them as a dark horse for the World Cup in 2010. Vidic, Stankovic, Subotic, Krasic, Ivanovic, and a few others who I can no longer remember. But put them all together, and they just weren't any good. Came bottom of the group.

Guess you could say the same about England 5 or 6 years ago. Rooney coming through, Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, A.Cole in their prime, Beckham still being the king etc... Lots of great players who just don't play well together.

Levein is a numpty. Does anyone in the entire country have any faith in the man? Serbia were there for the taking and initially it was the players who let the side down rather than the tactics. When that's as obvious as it was the manager is meant to step up and make positive changes when there's enough of the game left for them to have an impact. Inexcusable dithering.

Shit manager, shit beard, shit bloke.

Hopefully he learns his lesson. If Miller, Adam, and Hutton start on Tuesday then I guess he hasn't and he's a cunt. Morrison was poor as well but you can't fault him being chosen considering his league form. Adam was the biggest culprit I thought. How many corners did we have and how many of them actually found a Scottish player? Terrible.

Positives to take from the game? We created plenty of chances and Paul Dixon had a solid debut.

Surely its time Levein and Fletcher resolved their differences, I mean a 13 million quid striker (ok over inflated price but still a very good player who bagged a couple on his Sunderland debut) not even in the squad? Seems madness considering Scotland's limited resources. I don't what the falling out was about mind and if its resolvable.

Oh well my team got a good solid home 4-1 home thumping by Wrexham Saturday which I missed but by all accounts was shocking even by our own usual disgusting standards! So some early season panic setting in... five without a win, things can only get better is what I always tell myself in time of a crisis!

If Fletcher was the patriotic, belt-out-the-national-anthem type of player, he probably would have grovelled to get back into the team. Since he hasn't, he probably doesn't give a stuff about the national team, regardless of his relationship with the boss. If he was back in the team, would he give 100% or is he just a shirt filler? You want players who live and die by representing their country. Fletcher hasn't made much of an effort to get back in the team, so it seems pretty clear it doesn't give a shit about the team.

Sometimes Scotland don't even play 1 up front do they? Arf.

He had Snodgrass in the side too, who plays off the striker or out wide. I didn't watch much of the game so I dunno how he played throughout, but one striker plus Snoddy in the hole would be decent, if the striker wasn't Kenny Miller. Srsly. Jamie Mackie is the bollocks. Pacey and built like a fridge. Play him every game.

Fletcher can go fuck himself, he really can, it should be a honor to represent your country, not something you pick and choose about. Richard Gough hated Craig Brown, didnt stop him turning up whenever he was called, be a fucking man, not a little spoiled child.

The thing is we play with one up front but Naismith and Snodders were out wide, both turn into strikers when we attack, so i dont really think the 1 upfront thing is an issue. Anyway, its used by the biggest teams around, every major succesful team right now plays with 1 up front, United, City, Spain, Barca, Real, they all play this system, so why everyone gets up in arms about us not playing 442 ill never know. Its not like we have more than 2 good strikers anyway, Goodwillie is pretty much finished at 22, Maguire, well lets move on, Russel maybe in a years time and outwith them Jamie Mackie is really all we have. Maybe if Jimmy McFadden gets new glass legs but i dont think him and Levein get on.

Fletcher can go fuck himself, he really can, it should be a honor to represent your country, not something you pick and choose about. Richard Gough hated Craig Brown, didnt stop him turning up whenever he was called, be a fucking man, not a little spoiled child.

The thing is we play with one up front but Naismith and Snodders were out wide, both turn into strikers when we attack, so i dont really think the 1 upfront thing is an issue. Anyway, its used by the biggest teams around, every major succesful team right now plays with 1 up front, United, City, Spain, Barca, Real, they all play this system, so why everyone gets up in arms about us not playing 442 ill never know. Its not like we have more than 2 good strikers anyway, Goodwillie is pretty much finished at 22, Maguire, well lets move on, Russel maybe in a years time and outwith them Jamie Mackie is really all we have. Maybe if Jimmy McFadden gets new glass legs but i dont think him and Levein get on.

I suspect the up-in-arms-ness relates to the fact that we rarely play the 4-1-4-1 well. It's good in theory. I think the main problem on Saturday was that nobody in the attacking midfield 4 played to their usual potential and Miller was doing his usual misfiring. My problem with Levein is that he was too late in trying to change things.

You've missed Jordan Rhodes, Milner.

Left it too late to make the necessary changes, and I would've liked to have seen Shaun Maloney on (probably at the expense of Forrest). Crying out for a creative player with a bit of craft and cleverness about his play rather than trying the 'get down the line and swing it in' method that we'd tried unsuccessfully for 70 mins.

Left it too late to make the necessary changes, and I would've liked to have seen Shaun Maloney on (probably at the expense of Forrest). Crying out for a creative player with a bit of craft and cleverness about his play rather than trying the 'get down the line and swing it in' method that we'd tried unsuccessfully for 70 mins.

Jordan Rhodes looks good but he's in dire need of proving himself at any other level than Championship. He's more of an impact sub at the moment. Miller is getting a lot of stick at the moment and didn't have a great game at the weekend but Fletcher aside he's one of the best frontmen eligible for Scotland at the moment. Goodwillie needs more games but he's not finished by any stretch and Johnny Russell needs sub experience at international level.

Maloney has vision and he's playing well at the moment so i personally would've had him on ahead of Morrison from the start. Forrest is a cracking player and can score a fair bit as well so as an impact player he would've been better off coming on a bit earlier in the second half.

Caldwell played really well and dictated play from DM and barely misplaced a pass or tackle through the whole game and McGregor looked pretty good when called into action.

Hutton could do with game time and Dixon took well to the game given the circumstances.

Why was everyone expecting Scotland to beat Serbia anyway? The whole group is a no go and each time present could beat Scotland on any given game. A win over Macedonia is an absolute must though.

I wasn't necessarily expecting to win, but given Serbia's inexperienced line-up (average ageof 23) and the way the game panned out, I'm left with a real sense of opportunity missed to rack up three points. Playing at home are the games we're going to have to take maximum points from if we've any hope of qualifying.

• Upvote 1

I wasn't necessarily expecting to win, but given Serbia's inexperienced line-up (average ageof 23) and the way the game panned out, I'm left with a real sense of opportunity missed to rack up three points. Playing at home are the games we're going to have to take maximum points from if we've any hope of qualifying.

This. Before the game I'd have been happy with a draw. After the game and seeing how we had the better possession, better chances and the number of corners and free kicks in good positions we had I can't help but feel we should have won it easily. If Adam and Morrison had been able to actualy deliver a ball to a blue shirt or if Miller and Naismith showed some composure and ability then we would have.

United haven't played 4-5-1 on a consistent basis since that first post-Ronaldo season, when Rooney scored ALL the goals. Fergie loves 4-4-2. He'll put strikers on the wing if he has to, but he's playing 4-4-2, always.

Not according to G Nev, last United game i watched had them lined up as a 4-3-3 with the two wide strikers filling in as wide midfielders when defending. Who am i going to trust, Mr United, or Mr Bastard?

Sorry should have made it clear, when i said we had no more than 2 good strikers i ment no more than Rhodes or Miller, but Phil is right, he still needs to be tested at the highest level.

Not according to G Nev, last United game i watched had them lined up as a 4-3-3 with the two wide strikers filling in as wide midfielders when defending. Who am i going to trust, Mr United, or Mr Bastard?

This season, they've played 4-3-3 twice in an attempt to accomodate RvP and Kagawa in the same team. I think when Rooney is fit, it will be back to 4-4-2 as it has been for the past couple of seasons. Last season essentially every game was 4-4-2 with Rooney and Welbeck together, except for the game at the Etihad, when they parked the bus like chumps.

This season, they've played 4-3-3 twice in an attempt to accomodate RvP and Kagawa in the same team. I think when Rooney is fit, it will be back to 4-4-2 as it has been for the past couple of seasons. Last season essentially every game was 4-4-2 with Rooney and Welbeck together, except for the game at the Etihad, when they parked the bus like chumps.

Im sure even last season they went with the 4-3-3 with Rooney playing the main striker and Young/Welbeck and the worlds best right foot or Nani playing off either side of him......