aberdeen-music

I'm out of touch...

Guest Sundaram

Guest Sundaram
Lol' date=' well you could try the new Marillion album Marbles. Ain't heard it (only some tracks) but a lot of people say it's really good, plus it ain't really prog!

And Stripey, shut it![/quote']

Your right, I'll check out some of their recent stuff in due course. Thanks for the suggestions Mouse.

But hey, lets keep the bad vibes(maaan!) to other threads. Now go and kiss and make up with Stripey!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've been listening to lots of -

Deathcab for Cutie....their cover of bjork's 'all is full of love' is truly beautiful, as is their song 'movie script ending'...leading on from here you may enjoy the postal service and their lovely collection of songs such as 'such great heights' and 'district sleeps alone tonight'...

very...i've heard it described as 'glitch pop'...postal service that is...Deathcab are much more mellow indie-ish stuff. But the cover reminds me more of the Postal Service's stuff....

check it oot min :)

Guest Stripey
i'm currently in Oz' date=' so here's some Aussie picks:

John Butler Trio

Art of Fighting

The Small Knives

Disaster Plan

otherwise,

Nitin Sawhney

Bugge Wesseltoft (jazz)[/quote']

Nitin Sawhney is good stuff, have you heard any Dzihan & Kamien?

Lol' date=' well you could try the new Marillion album Marbles. Ain't heard it (only some tracks) but a lot of people say it's really good, plus it ain't really prog!

And Stripey, shut it![/quote']

I have to say for me, Marbles is one of their weakest albums, it promised so much and to me delivered so little, but then again maybe thats just me, most Marillion fans i know really rate it, i found it to be kinda bland and H's vocals were hit and miss, too much mumbling. Whereas I would say Fish's Field of Crows is much better, with the drums and guitar by Big Country stalwarts Bruce Watson and Mark Brzezicki (to be seen at Drummonds nest month in the Casbah Club, should be a great gig) and a great vibe and almost concept piece about the world and war in general.

There are a few good tracks on Marbles like 'Don't Hurt Yourself', 'You're Gone' and a few other tracks, but the Marillion albums from the latter period I'd recommend are Season's End, Brave, and This Strange Engine. If you do like proggy stuff I'd recomment Transatlantic's first one SMPTe and the Steve Hogarth solo album Ice Cream Genius and the live album Live Body, Live Spirit.

Cheers

Stuart

The new ones by Clouddead and Madvillan are pretty decent as well.

good shout,

clouddead is weird psychadelic hip hop nursery rhyme type shit and great. I think the C.D. version now comes with a bonus disc which has the B.O.C. remix of dead dogs 2 which is also really good. (also check their 1st album which is similar weirdness all recorded on an 8 track and sounds like it too)

madvillain is by MF Doom & Madlib and is one of the best hip hop albums to come out this year - great samples by Madlib & dope lyrics by Doom.

In fact check out any of Madlibs joints - i think you would be into his 'Yesterdays New Quintet' stuff they have done a couple of L.P.s which are Axelrod type jazz stuff (all played by Madlib) then cut up and fed through his sampler - good stuff if you dig the space jazz. he also did an album in which he cut up a load of Blue Note stuff which is worth getting.

His other stuff includes :

Quasimoto - 'the unseen' - which is features Madlib as his alter ego Lord Quas : speeded up rapping over wired loops and beats.

Jaylib - 'champion sound' - which is another hip hop collab with Jaydee.. where Madlib raps over Jaydees digital type beats and Jaydee raps over Madlibs more sample based stuff.

'Blunted in the Bomb Shelter' which is a reggae mix set and although has some really great stuff by King Tubby and the likes is quite a rough mix and nothing special.

hope this helps

Yep I liked Blunted' date=' mainly for the great source tracks on it and I did a review of it

Dont get me wrong, I do like the record and have listened to it a fair bit (you cant really not like it, its stacked with classic stuff) however I do think its a bit 'lazy' compared to Madlibs other stuff. What I mean is that I think he basically just made up a reggae mixtape (albeit one with impeccable taste) for his own listening pleasure as opposed to hacking up the tracks or recording new versions like he did with the Blue note stuff. It did come out on antidote though so you dont really know if it really was meant for general release - all the stuff Peanutbutter Wolf has put out by Madlib has been high quality - especially like 'the ox' which is another Madlib invazion and is on the Jukebox 45s thing.

Liked your review though, I agree with the stuff about the sound effects..Have you done any more? I think we've got quite similar taste....although I'm not a big Fall fan.

if you're gonna go down the madvillain route(i'll third that one, tis ace) then you could also check out the viktor vaughn record. blinding.

i'd also recommend phil checks out buck 65, i think it'll be more your thing. he's a multi-instrumentalist(i think that word went wrong somewhere along the way) and turntablist who is also a very accomplished lyricist and rapper. kinda folk-rap for want of a less cheesy and horrible phrase.

sage francis is also very good.

also check out fridge -semaphore and anything by fourtet.

see what you've started phil? it'll never end.

Liked your review though' date=' I agree with the stuff about the sound effects..Have you done any more? I think we've got quite similar taste....although I'm not a big Fall fan.[/quote']

Yep I've done quite a few dub related reviews for that reggae reviews - including Ghetto Priest, The Bug, Twilight Circus, Don Letts, Lucky Dube - and I've just finished a Wackies one...

I've not reviewed for any other sites though,

Dave

That sounds tasty' date=' what's it like?[/quote']

It'sd very good, it's quite different from Marillion, it's not as good as Steve Rothery's Wishing Tree project which is an album you must get if you like Rothery's guitar, it's Rothery, Trewavas and a few others with an amazing female vocalist, well worth getting. Another one I would recommend that I think may only be available from Racket id the Live Body/Live Spirit H Band live album, the band is as follows:

Steve Hogarth (marillion) - vox

Andy Gangadeen (Massive Attack, The Bays) - drums

Aziz Ibrahim (Stone Roses, Ian Brown) - Guitar

Dave Gregory (XTC) - Guitar

Jingles (BBMak, Gabrielle) - bass

Stephanie Sobey-Jones - Cello

Dal Singh (Aziz) - Tabla

Richard Barbieri (porcuipine tree, japan) - keys

As you can imagine these guys can play. The Live Body/Live Spirit Tour was the promotional tour that Jo supported them on and so we got to see these guys playing every night around Europe and bloody hell these guys are pretty good. The album is an interesting mix of Hogarth solo, a few Marillion tracks and mostly covers that have influenced them or have been a part of the members career, everything from Bowie to early Floyd to Radiohead, a superb live album and worth it for anyone who is interested to see what the voice of Marillion sound slike without the rest of the band ;)

I would still say if you like early Marillion check out a lot of Fish's solo career, often patchy, often brilliant. And fingers crossed that he keeps hos promise to play the opening night of his next tour here as he cancelled the September appearance !!

Cheers

Stuart

if you're gonna go down the madvillain route(i'll third that one' date=' tis ace) then you could also check out the viktor vaughn record. blinding.

i'd also recommend phil checks out buck 65, i think it'll be more your thing. he's a multi-instrumentalist(i think that word went wrong somewhere along the way) and turntablist who is also a very accomplished lyricist and rapper. kinda folk-rap for want of a less cheesy and horrible phrase.

sage francis is also very good.

also check out fridge -semaphore and anything by fourtet.

see what you've started phil? it'll never end.[/quote']

I'll back all these choices and throw in the advice to check out DJ Format & Abdominal's record 'Music For The Mature B-Boy' as it's great fun and they're brilliant live as others at the Lemon Tree would attest :)

Hard to think what to suggest that I could guess you'd like. One thing I definitely think you'd enjoy is the Dhol Foundation, Johnny Kalsi's (Afro Celts) dhol drum ensemble which were fantastic live. I don't know if they transfer well to CD, but it's worth keeping any eye open as I beleive their new CD comes out later this year.

You've probably heard my second suggestion, but I think you'd like Fourtet. Often described as 'folktronica', the album Rounds is well worth a listen.

For a more pop edge, I could recommend Piney Gir. Her album Peakahokhoo is a varied bag lurching between snarly electroclash and perky alt.country electronica. Great sense of humour and fun in the songs. Seeing her live earlier this year was ace, it's an entirely synthetic album - right down to the MIDI guitar.

Ephel Duath: Loosly called "Black metal" but that just doesnt do it justice. 48 year old jazz drummer' date=' Hardcore singer, guy with a trumpet...its great stuff

up the jazz black metal[/quote']

Plus slight pretension in that 'The Painter's Pallette' album has songs named as colours as well as titles! ;)

i'd also recommend phil checks out buck 65' date=' i think it'll be more your thing. he's a multi-instrumentalist(i think that word went wrong somewhere along the way) and turntablist who is also a very accomplished lyricist and rapper. kinda folk-rap for want of a less cheesy and horrible phrase.

[/quote']

Is his album any good? I saw him live at Truck this year, and he was fantastically entertaining but mainly due to his between song banter and presence. Came across like Tom Waits as a hick, rapping and goofing off. Superb fun live.

Is his album any good? I saw him live at Truck this year' date=' and he was fantastically entertaining but mainly due to his between song banter and presence. Came across like Tom Waits as a hick, rapping and goofing off. Superb fun live.[/quote']

Buck 65 is amazng.

Very much a word of mouth thing to gain a loyal fanbase.

You must check him out live. He`s extremely entertaining.

Hopefully he`ll be playing Moshulu in February as part of one of our more leftfield nights.

um, i don't really know you or what you like

apart from the mention of prog

and the fact you were in delicate awol, who i saw many moons ago

but i'd recommend

hella - the devil isn't red

(guitarist and drummer play fast, tense, improvised(??) instrumentals over constantly shifting rhythms. kinda a bit like lightning bolt, only less heavy and more melodic)

no 9. - mushi-no-ne

(in the same ball park as four tet, but with more sounds from nature and programmed drums which sound very human and uh jazz-like, i guess)

deerhoof - milk man

(poppy, guitar based record with weird time signatures and awesome drumming and squeaky vocals from a japanese lady who sounds about 11)

Buck 65 is amazng.

Very much a word of mouth thing to gain a loyal fanbase.

You must check him out live. He`s extremely entertaining.

Hopefully he`ll be playing Moshulu in February as part of one of our more leftfield nights.

heh, i love how you pay no attention whatsoever to alun's post despite quoting it. :p

upon reading it again you may notice he did check him out live and found him to be entertaining, so it's all good.

yea, buck 65 is grand. i've only got one or two of his albums(square being a particular delight) but i'm assured most of his stuff is of equal goodness. one up usually have a couple in stock doon the stairs, and i believe finnie is a fan as well so if you ask him nicely he should be able to recommend a couple for you.