aberdeen-music

I'm out of touch...

Guest Sundaram

It's more that philip was asking for fresh stuff' date=' and I'm quite sure he has heard marillion before. That and the fact that I find it amusing, and at the same time deeply saddening, that a teenage kids idea of fresh music is marillion.[/quote']

Fair enough - good point, if he's looking for something in the modern prog genre, you could do worse than No Man, or Porcupine Tree.

Cheers

Stuart

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Clifford Gilberto Rhythm Combination - very jazz' date=' very fresh, very instrumentally interesting, and MODERN.[/quote']

I'm surprised and impressed by the taste being displayed by this fellow (for a change).

ps. check out " I was young and needed the money" by this band and their last ep "deliver the weird", you won't be disappointed.

Guest Nikola Tesla

I don't know if you'd like them but the dilllinger escape plan are very relevant in certain circles of new music. Their new album may be the best bet if you wanted to check them out :up:

I don't know if you'd like them but the dilllinger escape plan are very relevant in certain circles of new music. Their new album may be the best bet if you wanted to check them out :up:

Is the new singer like the one on the first album? Cos the vocals on Calculating Infinity are the only let down for me.

But then Irony Is A Dead Scene was my first taste of DEP. And no one can live up to the standards of Patton :)

Guest Nikola Tesla
Is the new singer like the one on the first album? Cos the vocals on Calculating Infinity are the only let down for me.

But then Irony Is A Dead Scene was my first taste of DEP. And no one can live up to the standards of Patton :)

No the new singer has quite a vaired style of vocals. He uses melody a lot more, although he does sound like mike patton from time to time his vocals are still very strong.

what are scissorfight like? been meaning to check em out for ages.

I saw them a couple of years ago...they were loud, heavy and had a great vocalist (Ironlung). Plus the songs were nasty, but with a touch of humour.

Pat Gubler of PG Six is a mate of mine. His influences are very UK Folk/psych (eg Incredible String Band, Anne Briggs, Bert Jansch). He sent me a photo of his "Ukelin"...a weird instrument played with a bow. His WFMU session can still be heard at Irene Trudel (DJ)s homepage . I'm hoping that one of these days he'll make it over here for a few gigs.

The Departure are the new signings to Parlaphone (EMI) and are managed by Sanctuary Management (FFAF' date=' Your Code Name IS Milo, Iron Maiden... etc)

I`d expect them to be fairly big in the coming year and a half. Their booking agent also books Marilyn Manson.

[url']www.thedeparture.com

They are also playing Moshulu on 14th October. This wasn`t meant as a plug. More an aside. Good band..... All Mapped Out is on Zane Lowe Radio 1 show and MTV2.

Word!

The Departure are awesome, they look smooth as fuck aswell, especially the bass player, and they actually dance instead of synchronised jumping.

They sound to me like a much cooler 80's New-wave influenced Franz Ferdinand.

Thanks everyone thus far... I now have a big list and I'll get to work on tracking some down asap!

:)

I only really like maybe 2/3 bands that have just started releasing stuff in the last 2 years so I can't really recommend anythign very new, but on the relatively new (as in not still wearing pink paisley shirts) side of things, I have been mostly listening to.....

Ryan Adams (Alternative folk-country) - Tracks to download/find - "To Be Young" and "Gonna Make You Love Me More"

Goldfrapp (Electro/Synthy-Pop) - Anything from "Felt Mountain" although the new one is good too.

And on the completely not new side of thing Les Baxter (who I recomended to you awhile back in another thread), who did loads of ace Exotica/Lounge pieces, like 60's film soundtrack music with Theremins and other bizarre instruments, I'd imagine it would be rather up your proverbial street.

Guest Nikola Tesla

The only thing that put me off them was the Franz Ferdinand referance, due to that fact they are one of the most bland and boring bands ive encountered in a while. I'll probibly download the mp3s anyway just to have a listen. As there is no point in restricting tastes to one genre or style.

No mucisal 'collection' would be complete without the following Living End tunes,

Fly Away (Fantastiqu)

In The End (Slow, Lovely)

Pictures In The Mirror (Rocking)

Carry Me Home (Riff-tastic)

Silent Victory (Slow but powerful)

Second Solution (Definative Rock Tune)

Monday (Best Solo.. ivir)

Also as far as other bands go:

L'arc~En~Ciel (Asian Lounge-Esqu rock)

My Chemical Romance (Experimental 'rock')

Murder By Death (More experimental than above - less rock)

cKy (Melodic-y Metal - very listenable)

Bloodhound Gang (Just 'cause)

Guest Sundaram
I'll probibly download the mp3s anyway just to have a listen. As there is no point in restricting tastes to one genre or style.

A good attitude to have, I mean how do you know if you'll like or dislike something unless you give it a listen!?

:band: + flute + sax + sitar + mellotron.

New music' date=' as in within the last year or about to be released!

The last thing I want to be doing is getting in to horrid neo-prog. hehe

:)[/quote']

Lol, well you could try the new Marillion album Marbles. Ain't heard it (only some tracks) but a lot of people say it's really good, plus it ain't really prog!

And Stripey, shut it!