aberdeen-music

Kef 20th August

SnowWhite

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But serioulsy whats the point stripey?

Any time anything good about local bands appears you pitch in with your fucking boring negative views.

anyway,

i am so out of touch with the aberdeen music scene - can someone give me a sort of round-up of the current scene cos i'm coming home in 2 months and want to get right into it.

The music scene in aberdeen is ok depending on what you like to hear. cocks like stripey dont really know what theyre on about. Good bands you should check out are My Minds Weapon, Contra, Nero, Black Atom, Turning 13, Fester(if your lucky enough), The Excerts(again if your lucky). But as i say it depends on what you listen to.

Guest allsystemsfail
But serioulsy whats the point stripey?

Any time anything good about local bands appears you pitch in with your fucking boring negative views.

anyway' date='

The music scene in aberdeen is ok depending on what you like to hear. cocks like stripey dont really know what theyre on about. Good bands you should check out are My Minds Weapon, Contra, Nero, Black Atom, Turning 13, Fester(if your lucky enough), The Excerts(again if your lucky). But as i say it depends on what you listen to.[/quote']

Sripey clearly scours these boards, seizing every available opportunity to damn the Aberdeen music scene. Sure, there are some bands/scenes in Aberdeen that I don't like, but criticizing their efforts in such a derogatory and abusive manner isn't helping anyone.

Guest Stripey

I've got as much right to an opinion as anyone else, wether you like what I think or not. Or is this site just meant as a place for a lot of self-congratulatory back-slapping?

Guest allsystemsfail
I've got as much right to an opinion as anyone else' date=' wether you like what I think or not. Or is this site just meant as a place for a lot of self-congratulatory back-slapping?[/quote']

Hey, I'm all for discussion. However, you are interested only in slamming the efforts of others. Your criticisms are hardly constructive, and are often - for instance regarding the punk community, uneducated.

You despise the Aberdeen music scene? Then why post on a board largely dedicated to it?

yeah the mans *laughs* an arse it has to be said.

But your right whats the point in having a go at something you either dont like or understand? Sitting there and saying "oh the music is shit and unimaginative" isnt helping anyone. Either go out and do something about it stripey or just piss off and leave the shit music scene to do as it will.

Not everything will be to everyones taste that much is obvious but everything deserves a chance at least no matter what.

Guest Stripey
im so ashamed.

But anyway good venues for you to check out are Moshulu' date=' Cafe Drummonds, Kef, The Moorings and my personal fav Drakes.[/quote']

I've been to them all plenty times.

Guest allsystemsfail

Also, why should a band always strive to expand their sound? Sure, when a band does so, that's cool. But there are a lotta bands who do not, and are still great nevertheless.

whats this fool on about? We played two gigs in aberdeen and in one night saw some of the best talent in scotland so don't fuckin tell me the music scene is shit...we've played in almost every city in scotland and i've never seen as much consisitency in quality bands, venues and crowds....so no you are not entitled to an opinion..because you are infact.........talking out of your arse!!!

I wouldn't worry about it - Stripey's music itself is quite pleasing but he seems to take every opportunity to run down any other music from Aberdeen but Phillip's and his own. if people are saying it's been the gig of the year for them coming on and saying the Aberdeen music scene sucks seems pointless and bitchy.

Also' date=' why should a band always strive to expand their sound? Sure, when a band does so, that's cool. But there are a lotta bands who do not, and are still great nevertheless.[/quote']

I agree with you to a point on that. Its good to see bands sticking to what they are good at and making that sound their own instead of changing to suit whats popular at the time. If they have something they are happy with and they feel it is what they do best then why should they?

However i do feel its important for a band to keep exploring for new possibilities in their sound. In point (am im just using this as an example cause im in the band) i feel we have managed to open new possibilities in our song writting due to the fact we have changed our style slightly. (but then i suppose when you win worst band in aberdeen twice you should think about it hehe) We havent completely lost what people used to enjoy from a Point set we've just taken it to a new level.

Guest Stripey
I wouldn't worry about it - Stripey's music itself is quite pleasing but he seems to take every opportunity to run down any other music from Aberdeen but Phillip's and his own. if people are saying it's been the gig of the year for them coming on and saying the Aberdeen music scene sucks seems pointless and bitchy.

The guy asked what the scene is like, I wasn't talking about this gig, and I just gave my honest impression of what I have seen of it. I don't like rock or it's subgenres, there is just nothing going on here that does it for me, except what Philip is doing, because it's actually *creative* and musically more sophisticated than the typical 3 and 4 piece rock-derived bands which appear to make up the bulk of the "scene".

And you know, I'm sorry to say it, but there's no accounting for taste either when it comes to the audience for this stuff, when most of the people who go to these gigs are basically into pop music.

The guy asked what the scene is like' date=' I wasn't talking about this gig, and I just gave my honest impression of what I have seen of it. I don't like rock or it's subgenres, there is just nothing going on here that does it for me, except what Philip is doing, because it's actually *creative* and musically more sophisticated than the typical 3 and 4 piece rock-derived bands which appear to make up the bulk of the "scene".

And you know, I'm sorry to say it, but there's no accounting for taste either when it comes to the audience for this stuff, when most of the people who go to these gigs are basically into pop music.[/quote']

Go moan on someone else thread man. Just cause its not your thing doesnt give you the right to say its not *creative*. its as ive said before if you actually created some thing that was new and fresh (and this is not me saying i dont like your tunes cause some of them are ok) then maybe you would have some right to say this but your not. Ive heard countless other people make songs that sound like the ones you make

I don't like rock or it's subgenres

Oh gee whiz. This from the dude that lectured me that someone couldn't claim to like music unless they properly appreciated all it's forms including rythmic pigmy chanting...

Stripey - there IS some dance music that I like a little. Even more so electronica... but having recently visited your website and downloaded your attempts, my opinion is that they suck the dogs cock. Nothing personal.

Guest Stripey
Oh gee whiz. This from the dude that lectured me that someone couldn't claim to like music unless they properly appreciated all it's forms including rythmic pigmy chanting...

Stripey - there IS some dance music that I like a little. Even more so electronica... but having recently visited your website and downloaded your attempts' date=' my opinion is that they suck the dogs cock. Nothing personal.[/quote']

Since when did this become about *my music* ? I will happily admit that I have only been at it for 2 and a bit years, starting with zero knowledge of playing anything or composing. I don't claim to be shit hot, and I certainly don't inflict what are essentially practice tracks, on paying audiences.

Anyway, what I produce has fuck all to do with anything, I know what I like, and this scene does not provide it. And FYI I don't just listen to the kind of shit you think I do.

Since when did this become about *my music* ? I will happily admit that I have only been at it for 2 and a bit years' date=' starting with zero knowledge of playing anything or composing. I don't claim to be shit hot, and I certainly don't inflict what are essentially practice tracks, on paying audiences.

Anyway, what I produce has fuck all to do with anything, I know what I like, and this scene does not provide it. And FYI I don't just listen to the kind of shit you think I do.[/quote']

Well after 34 years of practice I can fart a better tune than Ethenogen - so if I were you I'd give up LOL.

The only reason you don't inflict practice tracks on a paying audience is cos nobody is going to pay to see some geek tapping away at his keyboard. Mind you there's a slim chance that some long lost tribe of pygmies would be impressed. Perhaps there's hope for you overseas.

Guest Stripey
Well after 34 years of practice I can fart a better tune than Ethenogen - so if I were you I'd give up LOL.

The only reason you don't inflict practice tracks on a paying audience is cos nobody is going to pay to see some geek tapping away at his keyboard. Mind you there's a slim chance that some long lost tribe of pygmies would be impressed. Perhaps there's hope for you overseas.

Good for you. FYI I have had a track played to a paying audience in a very discerning clubnight in san francisco, and they lapped it up, so go figure. I certainly will not be giving up.