aberdeen-music

Kef 20th August

SnowWhite

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest allsystemsfail
Stripey's entitled to his opinion' date=' just as everyone else is. Why is it, that when anyone gives an honest i.e. questioning, critical, non-fawning and non-back-slapping, opinion, they get set upon by all and sundry. Seriously, I don't mean to be a cunt for the sake of it, but "feedback" largely consists of:

"Wow, you guys were great! Hope to see you soon!"

"Hey, thanks mate, glad you liked it."

And that's pretty much it! The most critical thing you get is "Well, not really my thing, but they do it well." So, you mean that a band plays something you don't like, but they do it well? I'd rather hear someone tell me WHY they didn't like us, rather than an unquestioning and unthinking "You were ace!" That does no-one any favours, it just fosters a culture of yes-men.[/quote']

Sure, he is entitled to his opinion. However, when he makes statements regarding scenes that he has no knowledge or understanding of - for instance his taking swipes at the punk community, then he should be challenged. I'm all for criticism, so long as it is constructive, and from some basis of understanding and experience of what is being discussed.

Hey Jake, I was disappointed you guys had to pull out of the Sharpshooter show last week. Any news about Spike right now?

Guest allsystemsfail

Actually I only posted in this thread because someone asked the state of the Aberdeen scene' date=' and I had to give my honest opinion.[/quote']

And one that is, regarding the punk community, uneducated.

Guest Stripey
And one that is' date=' regarding the punk community, uneducated.[/quote']

He was asking about "the scene" not "the punk community". Jeez. You guys always throw a hissy fit whenever I give my honest opinion, it's laughable, and it's your fault this happened in this thread.

Guest Stripey
That's someone asking about Moshulu' date=' Kef, Drummonds etc.

What a smell of pork pies round here.[/quote']

Yes I don't go to gigs or intend to, after having seen what these places are like, I have no intention of going back.

Guest Stripey
I think you once said you'd seen two. Ring any bells?

So tell me, does one have to see a band in a venue, before you can decide wether you like the place and the crowd? As far as I'm aware, the 2 are not one single entity.

Guest Stripey
I think it is. If you hold such strong opinions on the music scene and are so keen to voice them on the slightest pretext maybe people should be aware of the depth of your knowledge so they can then judge how relevant they feel your comments are.

So, do you have to go to lots of gigs, to be able to get a feel for what is going on? I'm here for the music, not the party or the cabaret.

So' date=' do you have to go to lots of gigs, to be able to get a feel for what is going on? I'm here for the music, not the party or the cabaret.[/quote']

How many bands/artists have you heard then?

Since you were looking for links a few months ago and not a lot were forthcoming I've got to assume it can't be much more than 20.

Give me a ballpark figure.

Guest Stripey
How many bands/artists have you heard then?

Since you were looking for links a few months ago and not a lot were forthcoming I've got to assume it can't be much more than 20.

Give me a ballpark figure.

I honestly can't remember, I didn't keep most of the tracks which I got over the last year. How many bands are in Aberdeen anyway, give me a ballpark figure. ;)

I honestly can't remember' date=' I didn't keep most of the tracks which I got over the last year. How many bands are in Aberdeen anyway, give me a ballpark figure. ;)[/quote']

I reckon there's probably at least 150 "gigging" bands. God knows how many bands that aren't but we'll say another 50.

Add on at least 50 solo artists/duos.

I can't really say how many DJ/producer types there are cos it's not a scene I work in but I'd imagine there's a fair few. Lets call that at least 50 as well although it's probably higher.

That gives you at least 300 acts with conservative estimates.

Guest Stripey
I reckon there's probably at least 150 "gigging" bands. God knows how many bands that aren't but we'll say another 50.

Add on at least 50 solo artists/duos.

I can't really say how many DJ/producer types there are cos it's not a scene I work in but I'd imagine there's a fair few. Lets call that at least 50 as well although it's probably higher.

That gives you at least 300 acts with conservative estimates.

How many of these would you say are any good?