aberdeen-music

REM split

Soda Jerk

One of those few bands who I can say went on stints of releasing great album after great album. The recent stuff wasn't great (Around the Sun is dreadful), but the newest album, Collapse into Now is actually quite good.

My favourite R.E.M. record is New Adventures in Hifi, and I'm listening to it RIGHT NOW.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I was quite sad about this, they're a band I grew up listening to,and although I've not liked most of their recent output, I thought that Collapse Into Now was actually pretty good. Unsurprisingly, New Adventures is my favourite record, that's the first time I remember hearing an eBow played, and just being like..."woah" (although I much preferred Leave to EBow The Letter). I really like Green as well.

Saw them at T in 2003. They played So Fast, So Numb, which is probably my favourite song (although there are so many to choose from!) so I was pretty happy with that. It'll be interesting to see what they do next.

Great band in their day but i'm pretty unconcerned about this news really, haven't bought anything of theirs for years, they have been off my radar for a long time. 'Imitation of Life' is the last song of theirs I can think of hearing that I really liked, that must be a few albums back.

Good call on 'Leave' Claire, my fave off that album also.

I absolutely loved REM in the 80s and 90s not so much their recent stuff though (there are some good songs on most of the recent albums but for the most part they are very patchy affairs). I'm with everyone on New Adventures in Hifi and i'd have to say Leave is up there as one of my favourite songs of all time. Gutted i didn't go and see them when they were at their best and i think it's sad that they're calling time on quite an epic career but it's been coming for a long time now. I'm sure Stipe will release a solo album at some point.

Have to say I was a big fan in the late 80's/early to mid 90's - they produced a run of fantastic albums - Green, Out Of Time, Automatic For The People, Monster and New Adventures In Hi Fi, kind of lost interest after that but they still produced the odd good tune here and there. Pretty consistent over their career but probably right to call it a day.