aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

In Bed With Maradona is such a fantastic blog. They're always looking for contributions. I'd love to have a go, but my football ramblings wouldn't be to their standard. I'd probably find someway of shoe-horning in some Liverpool hatred, even if I was writing about non-league South American street football or Eastern European hooligans.

After watching that Zaire video, I kept watching more and more football videos, and ended up at a compilation of Steven Gerrard's dives. I fucking well hate Liverpool. I can't wait for Moyes' Boys to dick them up the arse tonight, good and proper. Shit bastards.

Best football website on the internet, imo. If it were a magazine I'd buy two copies every week.

Charging free-kicks down has never been done as well as that dude from Zaire. I think it was Zaire. Fucking awesome - playing in the World Cup and not having a clue about the rules of football.

There was a bizarre recreation of that in the 6 nations on Saturday. Ireland had a penalty and their player took a couple of steps, checked and reset. Sean Lamont assumed he'd started his run up and ran straight up to the ball and hoofed it up the park.

After watching that Zaire video, I kept watching more and more football videos, and ended up at a compilation of Steven Gerrard's dives. I fucking well hate Liverpool. I can't wait for Moyes' Boys to dick them up the arse tonight, good and proper. Shit bastards.

Some more appalling diving from Gerrard this evening. I mean look at this - no one anywhere near him.

article-0-12275E4C000005DC-628_634x386.jpg

Legitimately just heard "It's squeaky bum time in the A-League" on the telly here. Love Australian soccer. It's a worse standard than our SPL, even, but they still love it. Bless 'em.

To put it in perspective, my team - Perth Glory, obviously, being in Perth - is currently third in the league despite containing such thrilling names as Liam Miller and Billy Mehmet, both of whom played in the SPL some years ago (for Hibs and Dunfermline respectively). Pretty ace.

http://comparetheleagues.com/

STATS!

The SPL is the best supported league in Europe by percentage of population.

That's probably because it's a percentage of approximately only 5 million people for the 12 teams in the league. The Premier League will be a percentage of 51 million people for just 20 teams, or the Bundesliga will be 86 million people for just 18 teams. The ratio of people to teams in England/Germany/Spain/Italy is far greater than in Scotland.

My rugby boots are the new preds with massive rugby studs on them. They look, and are, absolutely lethal. :)

There was a bizarre recreation of that in the 6 nations on Saturday. Ireland had a penalty and their player took a couple of steps, checked and reset. Sean Lamont assumed he'd started his run up and ran straight up to the ball and hoofed it up the park.

Guys, WTF? Get a room...

That's probably because it's a percentage of approximately only 5 million people for the 12 teams in the league. The Premier League will be a percentage of 51 million people for just 20 teams, or the Bundesliga will be 86 million people for just 18 teams. The ratio of people to teams in England/Germany/Spain/Italy is far greater than in Scotland.

Doesn't make sense.

How doesn't it? The stat says the SPL is the best supported league in terms of the population of that country. Scotland has roughly 5 million people and 12 teams in their top flight. So the number people who go to the games is probably going to be a greater percentage of a small population than the percentage of Germany's 80-odd million people who go watch their 18 teams, even if Germany's attendances are far greater.

Break it down to just one game for a start. Say 50,000 went to watch a Celtic game, and 50,000 went to watch a Dortmund game. 50,000 out of 5 million is a much higher percentage than 50,000 out of 80-odd million.

How doesn't it? The stat says the SPL is the best supported league in terms of the population of that country. Scotland has roughly 5 million people and 12 teams in their top flight. So the number people who go to the games is probably going to be a greater percentage of a small population than the percentage of Germany's 80-odd million people who go watch their 18 teams, even if Germany's attendances are far greater.

Break it down to just one game for a start. Say 50,000 went to watch a Celtic game, and 50,000 went to watch a Dortmund game. 50,000 out of 5 million is a much higher percentage than 50,000 out of 80-odd million.

But it's not looking at individual clubs, it's looking at the league as a whole. Total people actually going to games as a percentage of population. Therefore, the stat is correct. There are more people going to watch top-flight football as a percentage of population in Scotland than in any other European country. If anything it makes it a better stat that there are fewer teams, because England/Germany etc can draw on fans of more clubs to increase their percentage, no?

But it's not looking at individual clubs, it's looking at the league as a whole. Total people actually going to games as a percentage of population. Therefore, the stat is correct. There are more people going to watch top-flight football as a percentage of population in Scotland than in any other European country. If anything it makes it a better stat that there are fewer teams, because England/Germany etc can draw on fans of more clubs to increase their percentage, no?

Or because England has more clubs at lower professional leagues that draw support, they have a broader spread of the population supporting football at all levels. While everyone in Scotland supports an SPL club and the lower leagues suffer.

Stats are like miniskirts etc.

Or because England has more clubs at lower professional leagues that draw support, they have a broader spread of the population supporting football at all levels. While everyone in Scotland supports an SPL club and the lower leagues suffer.

Stats are like miniskirts etc.

I think that's what he's aiming at yup. Even the 2. Bundesliga in Germany probably gets more support than our First Division.

Billy Mehmet

I was trying to remember his name the other day as a clip came on during the Dons cup game of him scoring and doing that ridiculous goal celebration where he stands in front of the crowd and waves his arms around like he is doing shite semaphore. If he still does it he needs to give himself a talking to.

And football stats are ace! I'm having a good play on that site later.

Interestingly the EPL and Championship together are still only 1.11% of the population. While the SPL and First Division have 1.86% of the population going to see it.

Also according to the site the SPL is more exciting than the EPL because we have less 0-0 draws.

I was trying to remember his name the other day as a clip came on during the Dons cup game of him scoring and doing that ridiculous goal celebration where he stands in front of the crowd and waves his arms around like he is doing shite semaphore. If he still does it he needs to give himself a talking to.

And football stats are ace! I'm having a good play on that site later.

This one?

Mehmet%20celebrates.jpg

I'm not doubting the stat is correct. It most probably is. I love stats, but I'm just sucking the fun out of it because I think it's a wonky stat ;) Bundesliga teams get massive attendances, and a huge amount of games sell out completely, but it's a smaller percentage because there's about 17 times the amount of people living in Germany than in Scotland. In this instance. the "Stats are like miniskirts" phrase is quite apt.

Rangers issues really is the gift that keepson giving. As if "The Big House Must Stay Open" guy wasn't comedy gold enough, yesterday's slip up was a classic -

Clown email gaffe is no joke for fans

Mr Custard may have enough money ot buy Rangers now.