aberdeen-music

Guaranteed Movie Draw

Monster Zero

So who or what would make you automatically go and watch a film? I've had actors/directors in the past whose work I would view regardless but I've found this has declined over the years.

After watching 'Angel Heart' I became a bit obsessed by Mickey Rourke, avidly seeking his past work and watching his new films until it got a bit heartbreaking. It's been good to see his return to form over recent years, I'm still confident of a De Niro resurge as well. Nic Cage as well.

Any others?

Tarantino. Bit of a fanboy for QT, I'd go to see anything he made.

I really like George Clooney as well. I wouldn't go and see a film just because he was in it, but I'd probably watch it on DVD.

Yeah I will watch anything QT makes at least once, haven't seen anything I wouldn't watch again.

I do like a bit of Clooney, he stepped up a notch with me with 'O Brother Where Art Thou' for some reason, just thought he was amazing in that.

I'd definitely always go and see a new Coen Brothers film. Charlie Kaufmann and Wes Anderson also both have such a good track record that I'd check out anything new they do.

An actor I like being in a film doesn't necessarily mean I'll make a big effort to see a film but I probably will get around to seeing it eventually. Many of my favourites have already been mentioned in this thread, I'll add Sam Rockwell.

I'd definitely always go and see a new Coen Brothers film. Charlie Kaufmann and Wes Anderson also both have such a good track record that I'd check out anything new they do.

An actor I like being in a film doesn't necessarily mean I'll make a big effort to see a film but I probably will get around to seeing it eventually. Many of my favourites have already been mentioned in this thread, I'll add Sam Rockwell.

Have you seen 'Box of Moonlight'? That was the first time I'd encountered Sam Rockwell, it's a great film, kind of quirky. Not many people seem to have seen it.

The following names in the credits: jarmusch, clooney, meadows, herzog, Norton, stiller, cantona

Films I'd definitely avoid: anything endorsed by Paul Ross and/or anything described as a) a romp or b) a rollercoaster ride of thrills chills and spills for all the family.

Jim Carrey can make a bad film bearable (yes man) and a good film great (spotless mind). The Coens. Now i will definately try and watch. Christopher Nolan has built up quite a back catalogue. The Prestige was afilm i recently first viewed and loved. I have grown up with Speilburg continuously making great films. Indeed my first cinema memory is crying during ET. Plus crying whilst not getting in the viewing before, cos it sold out. Theres probably another 1000 motives for watching a specific film thats why we love the genre. To ironically laugh at Red Sonja or mourn over Aronofsky. Its all good

Wait... wat?

Yes?

He is a well-lapsed one. See also De Niro, I can't think what the most recent film he has been in I've purposely seen. Actually, he was in 'Machete' but I didn't realise he was in it.

I actually don't have much in the way of a definite draw for me either from the acting or directing side these days. Coen Brothers usually did it but depends on the nature of the film. After suffering through 'Intolerable Cruelty' I've still never seen 'The Ladykillers'. Jarmusch also usually gets the benefit of the doubt, which reminds me, I picked up that 'Limits of Control' one he did for a few quid in FOPP and haven't watched it yet....

Yes?

He is a well-lapsed one. See also De Niro, I can't think what the most recent film he has been in I've purposely seen. Actually, he was in 'Machete' but I didn't realise he was in it.

I actually don't have much in the way of a definite draw for me either from the acting or directing side these days. Coen Brothers usually did it but depends on the nature of the film. After suffering through 'Intolerable Cruelty' I've still never seen 'The Ladykillers'. Jarmusch also usually gets the benefit of the doubt, which reminds me, I picked up that 'Limits of Control' one he did for a few quid in FOPP and haven't watched it yet....

Don't bother with the Ladykillers. It's their worst by far. I worried for them at that point but thankfully everything since then has been great.