aberdeen-music

Cheques

Adam Easy Wishes

Why the Christ do they take so long to clear?

Paid two cheques into the bank on Saturday, showing on my statement fine but the funds have still not been cleared to use.

What's the hold up? I presume no-one will be working this weekend to do whatever needs to be done, so I guess it'll be Monday at the earliest and so six working days. :down:

Seems pretty unreasonable to me.

I still use cheques occasionally. Paying plumbers etc for work done. Though they do give the option of doing a bank transfer as well.

Isn't the delay between cashing it and clearing it to do with the bank investing the money for a few days to turn a profit on it? Or is that a myth?

Apparently there is a "2-4-6" guideline that basically says -

after 2 working days you should start earning interest on the money

after 4 working days you should have access to the funds

after 6 working days you can be certain the cheque will not bounce

It's also a bugger for me to get into my bank to actually put a cheque in seeing how I work in Dyce and my bank is in town with unconvenient opening hours.

Adam's spot on. That'd the clearing house process. The physical cheque scoots about all over the place, back to the bank that its drawn against, which is why they take so long.

They are a nightmare and that's why they're onthe way out. I seldom use my personal chequebook, but I'm the Treasurer of our American Football team and everything has to be paid from there with cheques because they're all two-to-sign so there's no dual-control way of making online or card payments. I get used to them but it's a pain in the arse when, for example, I pay for our training facilities by card and then have to write myself a cheque back and it takes forever to clear.

It's not fully gone through the clearing process until the end of T+6. The T+4 access means that the money is there but you're accessing it at your own risk, so if something happens and the cheque bounces, the funds can still be removed form your account and if you've spent it before then, you're fucked.

It's not a great system and scams exist with payment systems like this where someone pays into your account x amount and you need to pay out x-100 or whatever your cut is but you have to do it on a certain day. Once you've paid out, the incoming cheque is cancelled, you lose the money and it's too late for you to do anything about the outgoing one. The bank won't cover you either because it's your choice to make the payment.