aberdeen-music

Royal Rumble 2011

Lemonade

Guest Bob Knob

I was expecting Nash to return at some point...but not Booker T lol. The Rumble itself was okay...I've not watched wrestling much since Stone Cold, The Rock etc left so most of the guys coming down to the ring I had no clue who they were. Too many wrestlers with forgettable names "Daniel Bryan" "John Morrison" etc.

Michael Cole's still a cunt.

I was walking home from work and saw it was on in a cinema near my flat. If that option was open to me when I was young I would probably still be into it. Watching wrestling... in a cinema! At the end of the day it's just a long story/soap opera so it's actually the best place for it.

Absolutely it is. Wrestling is just a giant soap opera with added violence. In recent times you've had Edge feuding with Dolph Ziggler, the basis of it being that Edge used to be married to Dolph's girlfriend, but they broke up on their wedding day because Edge got caught cheating on her. Then Edge pulled up a video of Dolph cheating on her as well so they started fighting over it. You've got Brie & Nikki Bella fighting with Gail Kim because they wanted to get with Daniel Bryan and he's been secretly sleeping with Gail. You've got Drew McIntyre trying to prove he's a good person because he wants to shag Kelly Kelly. Cody Rhodes feuding with Rey Mysterio because Rey broke his nose and ruined his modelling career. Kane feuding with Edge because Edge kidnapped his father and tricked Kane into killing him (yes really). Going back a bit as well, Triple H feuding with Randy Orton because Orton knocked out his wife with an RKO, Rey Mysterio and Eddie Guerrerro feuding because Eddie slept with Rey's wife and it turned out that Eddie was the real father of Rey's son, Vince McMahon having an secret illegitmate son, Matt Hardy and Edge feuding because Edge shagged Matt's girlfriend, kane feuding with Snitsky because he made Lita have a miscarriage....

It's like Eastenders but instead of arguing in the Queen Vic, they hit each other over the head with steel chairs.

I get really annoyed when people dismiss it and say "it's a lot of rubbish, it's all fake". Like no shit, I had no idea. They admit on the fucking program that it's fake! They're actors, they're playing a pre-written character and reading a script, just like any other TV show. When you watch The Wire, do you think they are all real cops and really chasing bad guys?! It's simple entertainment, nothing more. Suspend your disbelief for a couple of hours, you never know, you might enjoy it! (I don't mean you ca_gere, I mean people who girn about wrestling being shite without ever watching it. Wrestling rules!)

I was expecting Nash to return at some point...but not Booker T lol. The Rumble itself was okay...I've not watched wrestling much since Stone Cold, The Rock etc left so most of the guys coming down to the ring I had no clue who they were. Too many wrestlers with forgettable names "Daniel Bryan" "John Morrison" etc.

Michael Cole's still a cunt.

I think the idea of the forgettable names is to try and make it seem more realistic, (ie more like UFC), so that you believe the characters could be real people instead of cartoony characters like they had in the 80s and 90s eg. Papa Shango, The Million Dollar Man, Doink The Clown etc...

I think the idea of the forgettable names is to try and make it seem more realistic, (ie more like UFC), so that you believe the characters could be real people instead of cartoony characters like they had in the 80s and 90s eg. Papa Shango, The Million Dollar Man, Doink The Clown etc...

The Million Dollar man had some ace entrance music.

I used to love it and I still want to watch it, but I've found it to have gotten a little slower paced than when I was a kid... The violence:drama ratio has shifted the wrong way IMO, although that could be because I don't follow it the same, so it just seems to be dragged out longer because I don't know who half the people are.

I also think the characters are so much more forgettable now as someone mentioned. Bring back fucking Cactus Jack!

I remember when they first started letting the girls get their tits out on the PPV ones with Miss Kitty and the wet t-shirt match (or whatever it was, the object was for the girls to haul each others clothes off...)

So you still get actual tits out now, or is it just back to spandex and inuendo?

xx

I used to love it and I still want to watch it, but I've found it to have gotten a little slower paced than when I was a kid... The violence:drama ratio has shifted the wrong way IMO, although that could be because I don't follow it the same, so it just seems to be dragged out longer because I don't know who half the people are.

I also think the characters are so much more forgettable now as someone mentioned. Bring back fucking Cactus Jack!

I remember when they first started letting the girls get their tits out on the PPV ones with Miss Kitty and the wet t-shirt match (or whatever it was, the object was for the girls to haul each others clothes off...)

So you still get actual tits out now, or is it just back to spandex and inuendo?

xx

Nah that stuff's all been resigned to the past at the moment. They've made a big deal about getting it back to PG, so there's no blood, no swearing, no nudity and very limited use of weapons and stuff. Have to be honest, it's spoiled my enjoyment of it a fair bit, but I think Vince knows what he's doing and I think it'll go back to being more adult orientated in a few years, so when it does everyone will get excited and the ratings will hit the roof again like in the 90s / early 2000s (fingers crossed anyway). I remember the days of like 2001 / 2002, rock music and wrestling seemed to go hand in hand for a while. Half the people in the Palace would be wearing Stone Cold Steve Austin t-shirts and talking about wrestling.

Nah that stuff's all been resigned to the past at the moment. They've made a big deal about getting it back to PG, so there's no blood, no swearing, no nudity and very limited use of weapons and stuff. Have to be honest, it's spoiled my enjoyment of it a fair bit, but I think Vince knows what he's doing and I think it'll go back to being more adult orientated in a few years, so when it does everyone will get excited and the ratings will hit the roof again like in the 90s / early 2000s (fingers crossed anyway). I remember the days of like 2001 / 2002, rock music and wrestling seemed to go hand in hand for a while. Half the people in the Palace would be wearing Stone Cold Steve Austin t-shirts and talking about wrestling.

I remember those days. Everyone singing American Badass failing to see any trace of irony. Jerry Lawler giggling about puppies constantly.

Bring back the tits I say!

xx

Guest Bob Knob

Don't you EVER slag the million dollar man again! :laughing:

All real greats. I loved Doink the clown and don't forget DINK!

Wrestling died the day Tatanka lost for the first time ;(

Someone injure CM Punk and bring him back as a commentator again. He doesn't need to be wrestling just give him a mic and tell him to talk.

Yeah, he's only like one of the top heels in the whole company..... I agree he's the best talker around just now but he's also one of the best in the ring.

Rumble was good despite the Cena / Horny section which was beyond bad. Punk played it all out brilliantly I thought. Internet dirt sheet ruined my Booker / Diesel surprise factor. The Morrison Spider - man spot was the best thing I've seen for a while. Anyone watching the TV shows surely guessed the "Mexican JBL" was winning! He surely must be winning at 'Mania now. Biggest surprise for me was HHH never made an appearance.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bob Knob
If any wrestling fan missed Raw on Monday night, you have, have, have to watch this video. I've watched it like 6 times and I still get goose bumps every time! 7 years since he was last in a WWE ring:

YouTube - WWE Raw - The Rock Returns! (Monday 14th February 2011) BenBronxNYY

Yip I've watched it a few times. It's been ages since the crowd went mental like that as well.