aberdeen-music

Comic Books / Graphic Novels

Stroopy121

Comics are fucking brilliant. I've been reading Frank Miller's Batman comics, New and Ultimate X-Men, and some stand alone Superman collections as well.

Away from 'superhero' comics, Y: The Last Man are definitely favourites The Walking Dead but I've also been following the Season 8 Buffy comics to see what happened after Season 7. It got weird. All signs point towards slightly less weird in Season 9.

I'm sure there was a previous comics thread, possibly in the book forum? Ah, here it is; http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/books/55224-comic-book-thread.html

Not really my thing, but I do have a collection of the American Splendour comics by Harvey Pekar which I really like. I got into those after seeing the film when it came out a few years back.

Oh and I was a regular Beeno reader in my younger days. And in more affluent weeks I would double up with the Dandy.

Numbskulls!

I thought V for Vendetta was an alright film, until I read the book which is a bajillion times better.

Maus is also excellent, in a "really fucking harrowing and you'll probably cry" sort of way but given the subject matter I think that's only to be expected.

I read Maus when I did English in 2nd year. Wonderful read.

I get The Broons or Oor Wullie every year at Christmas from my folks. Haven't read this years edition [last years edition?] yet, but it's on my rapidly expanding 'to-do' list.

back in the late 60's/early 70's I used to read lots of different Marvel Comics

Batman, Superman, X Men, Avengers, Thor, Fantastic 4....etc..... always loved em'

but during middle 70's/early 80's I read LOTS of the "pocket" comics : War Library & Commando..... anybody else like these?

wanted to add...... (cos I forgot them) the "Air Ace" ones, which I probably read the most!

Just finished Likewise by Ariel Schrag, which is pretty good in a bleak, unrewarding way, which I kind of like in a comic. It's all about the awkwardness of teenage life, which sounds kind of corny, in a Saved By The Bell kind of way or something, but it's very good, if you like getting bummed out.

Before that I just finished The Poor Bastard by Joe Matt. I really like the way this is put together aesthetically, but the dialogue is quite unconvincing at times. Again, it's pretty bleak, as it documents his break up and failed attempts to rekindle his relationship. I mostly like fucking miserable comics. I have no idea why.

More light heartedly, I'm currently working my way through My Life In A Jugular Vein, by Ben Snakepit. Mostly snide jokes about being an elitist punk, not so dissimilar to Mitch Clem's webcomic NN2S. Very fun if not taken too seriously. I also got the anthology of the latter for Christmas, but not gotten through it yet!

If miserable comics are your thing, then I'd recommend Blankets by Craig Thompson, and David Boring by Daniel Clowes.