aberdeen-music

Radio Drama or Comedy

jester1470

Anyone here a fan of any specific Radio drama or comedy?

My favourites include:

Old Harry's Game

Andy Hamilton's brilliant comedy set in hell.

I'm sorry I havent a Clue

Not quite as good since Humph died, but on it's good days it's one fo the funniest things.

Chain Reaction

Interesting show with celebrities intervieing each other - better than it sounds, the interviewed celebrity gets to choose and interview the next celebrity.

The Ubelievable Truth

Quiz Game in which the contestants try to smuggle truths through

The News Quiz

Satirical and amusing News Quiz - I admit not the best decription but strangely accurate :p

The Now Show

Political Satire done well by ex-Mary Whitehousers Punt and Dennis amongst others

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1939-1944)

Radio adventures of Sherlock Holmes starring the legendary pairing of Rathbone and Bruce, one of our favourites for long car journeys

Other classics I enjoy include the Original Hitchhikers Guide, Just a Minute and King Street Junior.

Anyone else a fan of radio as a medium for drama/comedies ?

The only comedy radio show I have ever really listened to and it is fantastic. :up:

I like the Uxbridge English Dictionary rouind where they try to come up with new word definitions... some need to be read outloud before you get them :) :

Abominable practice frowned upon by all but the most aggressive of matadors

Accomplish one who aids and abets Sean Connery

Admin contribute the least

Apollo Roman god of chicken

Appearing an iPhone app that pierces your ear while you talk on it

Balderdash the rapid receding of a hairline

Canada a snake in a tin

Category an allegory about a cat (q.v. Allegory a category of alley)

Cauterise what I did just before she looked away with disdain

Cognac to trick a long-haired Himalayan beast

Countryside - to kill Piers Morgan

Dysentery what the seeds of dissent eventually grow into

Exist person who is prejudiced against their former lovers

Hackney IRA punishment before the invention of guns

Hammersmith the legend of Mjllnir, weapon of the mighty Thor

Laxity a rural area

Lymph mythical woodland seductress with a sore leg

Mailbag scrotum

Phobia not real ale

Polymath if Janet has two parrots and John has three parrots

Post-it girl who was once fashionable, now of very little note (q.v. Exit recently fashionable girl now on her way out)

Psychotic nervous twitch that makes you stab people

Pumpkin commit incest

Rampart part of a ram

Rueful a traffic jam in France

Seamstress the consequence of an over-generous lunch

Transsubstantiation providing evidence of ones sex change

Treacle deforestation

Unleavened the condition of trees in autumn

Vagrant taxi drivers conversation

Watershed outdoor water closet

Wednesday At what hour does the sun rise?

Anyone here a fan of any specific Radio drama or comedy?

My favourites include:

Old Harry's Game

Andy Hamilton's brilliant comedy set in hell.

I'm sorry I havent a Clue

Not quite as good since Humph died, but on it's good days it's one fo the funniest things.

Chain Reaction

Interesting show with celebrities intervieing each other - better than it sounds, the interviewed celebrity gets to choose and interview the next celebrity.

The Ubelievable Truth

Quiz Game in which the contestants try to smuggle truths through

The News Quiz

Satirical and amusing News Quiz - I admit not the best decription but strangely accurate :p

The Now Show

Political Satire done well by ex-Mary Whitehousers Punt and Dennis amongst others

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1939-1944)

Radio adventures of Sherlock Holmes starring the legendary pairing of Rathbone and Bruce, one of our favourites for long car journeys

Other classics I enjoy include the Original Hitchhikers Guide, Just a Minute and King Street Junior.

Anyone else a fan of radio as a medium for drama/comedies ?

I used to listen to all of these but because I don't do torrents anymore (There's a brilliant site I used to use called uknova for all british TV/radio, designed for expats who can't live without the archers) I only really download the friday comedy podcast. I like david quantick's 'Blagger's Guide' too.

Someone should really stop that German guy getting slots on the news quiz. He does my nut in. He takes forever to say his shit jokes and you can't understand half of them coz his accent is so thick.

Someone should really stop that German guy getting slots on the news quiz. He does my nut in. He takes forever to say his shit jokes and you can't understand half of them coz his accent is so thick.

I'm assuming that's Henning Wehn, he was the support at the Stewart Lee gjg last year and was absolutely brilliant, really enjoyed him, so I'm more likely to give him a chance on other things but I've not noticed him being too bad.

I'm assuming that's Henning Wehn, he was the support at the Stewart Lee gjg last year and was absolutely brilliant, really enjoyed him, so I'm more likely to give him a chance on other things but I've not noticed him being too bad.

Aye, it's Henning Wehn. He didn't have a good one on The News Quiz last week but he is a tremendous stand up.

Aside from the ones mentioned already, I like:

Fighting Talk - a panel of sportspeople/journalists/comedians do punditry/jokes on the weeks' sporting events. It's hosted by Colin Murray but don't let that put you off. Henning Wehn has been great every time he's been on there - I guess he's better with sport than news.

7 Day Sunday - more satire with Chris Addison, Andy Zaltzman and a couple of non regulars. Puns. So many puns. So much fun.

Despite getting my break writing radio plays, I do find a lot of radio drama clearly unrehearsed and rather wooden. But comedy wise, ISIHAC and Just a Minute are great, and I also love I've Never Seen Star Wars. Couldn't see the point of doing it on telly though, added nothing to it.

The one radio comedy I couldnt get was Dead Ringers. Needless cruel and smug, and also I found those prank calls cringeable. I feel sorry enough for people working in call centres without wanting to hear them being wound up!

The one radio comedy I couldnt get was Dead Ringers. Needless cruel and smug, and also I found those prank calls cringeable. I feel sorry enough for people working in call centres without wanting to hear them being wound up!

I have always found Culshaw to be an insufferable cunt, right from his earliest break being 'championed' by Moyles. He has a couple of voices he can mimic well, but he has absolutely no material, he's just an unfunny arse. He's definitely in my punchable list.

And David Quantick just tries too hard, for me.

Just a minute is too stressful, I'm always too busy listening for mistakes to enjoy it.

I do like The News Quiz though.

I have always found Culshaw to be an insufferable cunt, right from his earliest break being 'championed' by Moyles. He has a couple of voices he can mimic well, but he has absolutely no material, he's just an unfunny arse. He's definitely in my punchable list.

And David Quantick just tries too hard, for me.

Just a minute is too stressful, I'm always too busy listening for mistakes to enjoy it.

I do like The News Quiz though.

I agree about culshaw. He's not even that good at impressions. And even the ones he does ok he just relies on the voice alone instead of any punchlines.

I love the news quiz except the German guy aforementioned and that whiney glaswegian bint. Dunno where she came from but she's not funny.

Anyone used to listen to 99pence? I think that's what it was called. With Simon pegg, Armand ianucci and loads of other good folk.