aberdeen-music

tunnels and drummonds gigs

fatboy

Ah but John, sometimes it is easier just to bitch and moan rather than be proactive...

Yup, and sometimes it's easier to give a lazy retort like "people are just bitching and moaning" rather than consider the point that "the local scene" might just be a back-slapping go-nowhere Groundhog Day boy's clique. Not that I'd dream of suggesting it's anything other than friendly, healthy, supportive, outward-looking and vibrant of course...;)

I did type out a big spiel about it but folk would have got even more bored reading it than I did typing it so I'll leave it there.

:)

Yup, and sometimes it's easier to give a lazy retort like "people are just bitching and moaning" rather than consider the point that "the local scene" might just be a back-slapping go-nowhere Groundhog Day boy's clique. Not that I'd dream of suggesting it's anything other than friendly, healthy, supportive, outward-looking and vibrant of course...;)

I did type out a big spiel about it but folk would have got even more bored reading it than I did typing it so I'll leave it there.

I tend to agree.

Speaking of which,Apester. You coming to the captain toms gig on the 21st of August? Oblivion Incarnate,Ablach,Dross & The Afternoon Gentlemen. The latter are awesome blast bastards. You'll like them.

• 3 weeks later...

The management in Tunnels and Drummonds has went completely down the drain recently!

Announcing they are only letting Over 18 bands play?! Thats not very good for young up and coming bands in the area is it?

Also as a promoter, trying to run a gig at Tunnels or drummonds is a joke. I pay 60 to hire the venue out but still the management want a massive input into my line up. Im paying for the venue so what bands i choose is up to me! If they want an input they can give me the venue for free!

I recently had to cancel a pretty big gig i had coming up, because they never liked my line up. I never got the band they wanted to play main support because they would bring the most over 18s to the venue! Im sorry but if one of the management say its an Over 14's then 2 weeks later tell me the gig is an over 18s because of my line up is a fucking shambles! They cant communicate with each other obviously.

There for finding new or old venues in aberdeen who are more in for the music that the bar profits will suit me better. I realise the place need to sell some drinks, but i cant seriously help it if there is 16 year olds there for the music and some over 18 year olds dont want to drink! The should be running a pub, Not a music venue!

Done

Stu - DDP

I must admit I agree with a lot of what is said is this thread. I've been keeping away from this thread mainly because I like Hen and I think he does a decent job, but while I think Drummonds is being run well, The Tunnels is just a shambles these days. Every gig I seem to go to recently has a crowd of about 10, the place itself is filthy, and most of the house gear is crap. Plus it just doesn't have any atmosphere, and it never has. They really need to start pulling out the stops to try and persuade people to go down there, I often find myself standing at an empty gig wondering how the hell it hasn't gone out of business yet. They are their own worst enemy though, the amount of times I've been sitting on my computer trying to find a gig to go to that night and there's absolutely nothing listed for the Tunnels, I'm not going to just wander down and see whats on because it might be something I don't like, or it might not even be open!

I'm not going to just wander down and see whats on because it might be something I don't like, or it might not even be open!

Its really not a place much folk walk past! And its pretty dodgey down there aswell!

Drummonds and Tunnels is both run by the same people! They need to get their act together! I dont know if they do it with all promoters. I can imagine they have their favourites!

Stu - DDP

The only thing i ever care about is when I get a pint at the Tunnels and it smells like eggs. It also annoys me that as soon as more than 12 people are there I cannae get my pint in a fucking glass. I mean come on, enough of this plastic shit.

That is my only contribution.

The only thing i ever care about is when I get a pint at the Tunnels and it smells like eggs. It also annoys me that as soon as more than 12 people are there I cannae get my pint in a fucking glass. I mean come on, enough of this plastic shit.

That is my only contribution.

And a worthy contribution it is. I was there the other week and had a shandy as I was driving. In addition to the usual 'unique' taste of the lager, the lemonade appeared to have a low syrup content. Mmmmm, watery.

I'm sure it's been said in this thread before, but even some drinks promos or something similar to attract a few extra people in would surely benefit the venue?

Essentially unless there's a gig on someone really wants to see, people aren't going to stumble by and decide they fancy it. Although it's in the centre of town it's kind of awkward to get to and there's no mobile phone signal down there (which I'm sure plays a part). To top it off, you have to spend ~3 on a bad pint.

I'm sure it's been said in this thread before, but even some drinks promos or something similar to attract a few extra people in would surely benefit the venue?

Essentially unless there's a gig on someone really wants to see, people aren't going to stumble by and decide they fancy it. Although it's in the centre of town it's kind of awkward to get to and there's no mobile phone signal down there (which I'm sure plays a part). To top it off, you have to spend ~3 on a bad pint.

I Agree with this 100%, Its a good venue for room sound if the Sound guy is good! But its not a "Passing By" Kind of place! I had to change my pint of stella last week cause it tasted of "Off white wine" but the next pint was equally as bad! But it cost me 3 so it went down the hatch!