aberdeen-music

Dubstep Thread

waltz

Guest Giles Walker
Holy. Shit.

480p is a must for this tune. The guy is from Edinburgh! I think a booking at Origin should happen.

Tbh if we thought that it would be busy we would have booked all of the Edinburgh guys Akira Kiteshi, DFRNT, Taz Buckfaster et al.

The truth is when you have hardly anybody turning up to see people like Hudson Mohawke, Jackmaster, Optimo and other Scottish producers and djs who are already proven on the world stage, then booking smaller acts almost guarantees a low turn out.

I have been playing Dubstep in aberdeen for 6 years now and i still feel like it is the early days for this. The stuff i play in the club might not even be recognised as dubstep to most of the people on here any more.

What also won't help is when folk start reading more of the current crop of damning articles about how Dubstep is now over and decide that they're gonna start mouthing off about to anyone who will listen.

I'm gonna stop moaning now and think of good songs to post links to instead...

What also won't help is when folk start reading more of the current crop of damning articles about how Dubstep is now over and decide that they're gonna start mouthing off about to anyone who will listen.

Don't worry, empiral evidence shows this merely results in a loss of hipsters, back-pack kiddies and wobble.

I'm pretty new to dubstep, but a few of my favorites are Caspa, Rusko, Benga and Mt.Eden(even though it's pretty much all covers..) Probably the more typical of the genre..maybe not?..

I know Ministry of Sound just came out with a dubstep compilation, being new I'm checking it out to get more ideas in the genre!

I'm pretty new to dubstep, but a few of my favorites are Caspa, Rusko, Benga and Mt.Eden(even though it's pretty much all covers..) Probably the more typical of the genre..maybe not?..

I know Ministry of Sound just came out with a dubstep compilation, being new I'm checking it out to get more ideas in the genre!

I really hope you are attempting to troll here.

• 1 year later...

Question (which I think may be too long for the QQ thread):

Why is the new KoRn record taking so much abuse?

I mean, it's not exactly amazing but I don't mind it. Just sounds to me like a normal KoRn record with more electronic influences!

Is it just dubstep fans getting arsey that it's labelled a dub' record when it's not dub' enough? Like how punks get fucked off when someone tries to describe Busted as punk/pop-punk?

xx

I get where you're coming from... But everyone I ask "what actually IS dubstep anyway..?" they usually answer along the lines of "it's basically d'n'b with those WUB WUB WUB noises in there too" and if that's the case then some of KoRn's material does sound like a kind-of predecessor to dubstep? Doesn't it?

It's a genre I'm fairly interested in but only just making any effort to explore, so me being completely full-of-shit/misinformed isn't unlikely. I'm just curious.

xx

"it's basically d'n'b with those WUB WUB WUB noises in there too"

I hate people that describe it like this. But that's for Pet Hates.

There's loads of different influences. From Garage, to Reggae Dub, to, yes, D'n'b. But I wouldn't just call it slowed down d'n'b with wobbles. Not at all.

Well, good dubstep isn't that. But, shit dubstep can be.

Guest Giles Walker

The term dubstep comes not from the associations with dub reggae musically (most uk forms of dance music have embraced jamaican influences) but more from the soundsystem culture of cutting dubplates for parties. Reggae djs would have a special record created for the soundclashes they would hold with other crews. The 2step scene had this same culture, but around the 2000 period the music was beginning to fall out of favour with a mass audience and the music took a slightly darker turn, the same way it did with rave music after the peak of 92 and with jungle around 94. So the dubplates of the early 00s 2step scene sounded a bit darker and worked without the need for mcs as much. Dubplate + 2step = Dubstep.

This is a 2 step garage classic from 99.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oexYDeIvYPI

This is a song that is considered to be from the grey area between 2 step and dubstep, released in 2000.

This song is considered to be one of the first Dubstep releases and is from 02.

Around 04 you started getting sub genres of dubstep called things like breakstep as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX-Qhuc_WVo

This is possibly the song that set the scene for the wubs and dubs idea of what dubstep is, some people think it is the first brostep record. It is from 07.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsVGtknK59Y

I don't think you can draw a line in the sand and say one thing is this and another thing is that, so these are just pretty broad definitions. Brostep was initially just a joke on the dubstep scene, because when Dubstep began to gain popularity you would find people that only wanted the "really filthy" sounding stuff and stand at the front of the djs booth shouting for it. Some people feel that the 'Bros' ruined dubstep, but i think those same people would have said that the 'cheesy quavers' ruined rave as well. Basically, UK music is a big clusterfuck of overlapping styles and that is why it is so good to be a part of.

• Upvote 2