aberdeen-music

FUUUUUUCKKK!!! help!

framheim

• 3 weeks later...
Ouch.

Although, you would be amazed at what you can retrieve from even the most buggered disc.

Hope you get some stuff recovered.

there's a groove torn out of it apparently. to even attempt to recover it would cost ridiculous money we don't have. we could've stretched to a few hundred pounds, maybe even a grand but this is going to be much more apparently with no guarantee of recovery.

• 4 months later...

So...a similar story just happened to my external HD. It hasnt been damaged, but simply appears to have stopped working. I plug it into the PC, and i get that "bloop-bloop-bloop" noise that means it's been recognized, but in 'My Computer' it doesnt register as being plugged in. Likewise, when i remove it it makes the "remove" noise, but I cant access anything on the drive.

Anyone with any sensible suggestions?!

So...a similar story just happened to my external HD. It hasnt been damaged, but simply appears to have stopped working. I plug it into the PC, and i get that "bloop-bloop-bloop" noise that means it's been recognized, but in 'My Computer' it doesnt register as being plugged in. Likewise, when i remove it it makes the "remove" noise, but I cant access anything on the drive.

Anyone with any sensible suggestions?!

Is it formatted NTFS or FAT?

Make a bootable live linux disc (Ubuntu is favourite Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu), boot into it and try and access the files that way. If they are accessible you can then shift them over onto another drive. This won't work if it is NTFS as linux won't address that file system (but the linux geeks are working to fix that!).

Another way might be to use Clonezilla to make an image of the drive then restore it onto a shiny drive. This will only get round physical disc issues, not duff file system structure as you basically make an exact copy of the drive, problems and all if they exist.

I lost a media drive the same way, ended up having to format the drive in the end. Thankfully I had all of the very important stuff backed up on another drive.

In reply to Orphan....

I had that happen to me with my USB stick on my uni computer. It could be trying to map onto a drive that's already taken which will happen if you have more than one drive on your computer. If you right click on 'My Computer', then click on 'manage', you'll get a window where you can click on 'Disk management' and you should be able to assign a new Drive letter to your external HD.

Outside of this I don't know...