aberdeen-music

Steel Panther

The59Sound

Anyone else enjoying this stuff?

For the uninitiated, basically a spoof 80s hair metal band with a load of songs that are actually far more intelligent than you'd expect. It's pretty ace in terms of observation etc. and is actually genuinely laugh out loud funny in places. They're good musicians too, so all their stuff that's spoofing Whitesnake, Def Leppard and that comes off with a bit of authenticity.

Sample lyrics

I would give you the stars in the sky, but they're too far away

If you were a hooker you'd know I'd be happy to pay

If suddenly you were a guy, I'd be suddenly gay

'Cos my heart belongs to you

My love is pure and true

My heart belongs to you

But my cock is community property

Steel Panther on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Album "Feel The Steel" is out on Monday. Seems to be retailing everywhere for about 6. Could be a chuckle.

Sounds like a Zoolander pose.

Haven't heard them but sounds like something that Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction did well in the 80's although maybe in a slightly harder rock vein. Still very listenable, I recommend 'High Priest of Love' if you can find it.

Thanks for the tip, I'll get right on it.

The only problem is that they aren't quite ridiculous enough.

Roxx Gang

Diamond Rexx on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

YouTube - PRETTY BOY FLOYD

and of course

Steel Panther strike me as being a bit bland and mundane after that lot.

Now this is some awesome shit right here, I read his book 'Bad Wisdom' co-written with Bill Drummond, sick but ace, especially the apocalyptic serried ranks of Madonna's Homosexual Schutzstaffel!!

The only problem is that they aren't quite ridiculous enough.

Roxx Gang

Diamond Rexx on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

YouTube - PRETTY BOY FLOYD

and of course

Steel Panther strike me as being a bit bland and mundane after that lot.

Now this is some awesome shit right here, I read his book 'Bad Wisdom' co-written with Bill Drummond, sick but ace, especially the apocalyptic serried ranks of Madonna's Homosexual Schutzstaffel!!

Zodiac Mindwarp was amazing for the 'Wild Child' single, 'High Priest of Love' mini-album and 'Prime Mover' single, I was a bit disappointed by the 'Tattooed Beat Messiah' album as a whole and after that they went way downhill for me. I've got his 'Fucked By Rock' book that I started reading once but never finished, it was pretty sick as well if I recall. And going for about 90 quid on Amazon these days! Cost me about a tenner in Virgin I think, with a free CD.

Dude, you can't compare Steel Panther to TD. I mean, TD kick their ass!!

In all seriousness, I love Steel Panther. They are pretty funny, do awesome glam metal covers and parody the 80's brilliantly. The video of them playing Runaway by Bon Jovi with Bon Jovi's keyboard player is priceless. The guitarist and vocalist spend half the time shouting "OMG THIS IS AWESOME!!" into their mics. Has anyone seen the behind the music? Matt Sorum has one of the best lines ever!

Love these guys. watched the censored version of "death to all but metal" on scuzz. Being censored made it funnier cos it was like car horns and stuff instead of bleeps. was awesome. They're playing at download... not going though. skint, and most of the bands i'm not interested in. sonisphere looks way better. metallica!

Holy shit they are! and they don't clash with anyone, awesome time filler, i am so there, as good bands as sonisphere has i have made the effort to boycott it as essentially one guy from the Download organisers buggered off with a heep of good contacts and got quite pissy with them, so Download could be in a bit of a problem next year.

I went in '07. There were some pretty decent bands but motley crue were on the second stage while linking park were on the main stage? what the fuck. Does my head in. how can some tits like linking fucking park be more important that the legends that are motley crue? doesen't make sense. Anyway, i was gonna go in '08 but the lineup was pretty bad... and it's worse this year. It seems that download is surrendering to the emo takeover....

There are alot of amazing bands playing this year... but most of the bands you see on the lineup make you think "did they arrange this festival last minute?"

I went in '07. There were some pretty decent bands but motley crue were on the second stage while linking park were on the main stage? what the fuck. Does my head in. how can some tits like linking fucking park be more important that the legends that are motley crue? doesen't make sense. Anyway, i was gonna go in '08 but the lineup was pretty bad... and it's worse this year. It seems that download is surrendering to the emo takeover....

There are alot of amazing bands playing this year... but most of the bands you see on the lineup make you think "did they arrange this festival last minute?"

Might have something to do with the fact that Linkin Park are a shit-ton more popular than Motley Crue these days, like.

I went in '07. There were some pretty decent bands but motley crue were on the second stage while linking park were on the main stage? what the fuck. Does my head in. how can some tits like linking fucking park be more important that the legends that are motley crue?

Linkin Park are pretty much THE biggest selling rock/metal band in the last decade. And popularity is always going to dominate over actual 'goodness'. I'd also guess there are far more 16-25 year olds compared to the 25-50 year olds at Download with the latter category more likely to be Crue's fanbase.

On topic, Community Property (by Steel Panther) is right out of the 'more than words' by Extreme book....

Linkin Park are pretty much THE biggest selling rock/metal band in the last decade. And popularity is always going to dominate over actual 'goodness'. I'd also guess there are far more 16-25 year olds compared to the 25-50 year olds at Download with the latter category more likely to be Crue's fanbase.

..QUOTE]

beat me to it...

The guitar player is flash enough, but he is no Warren DiMartini, or Dod Lynch.

I always thought that Russell Brand's hairdo was the result of a Fly style teleport incident gone wrong between the hair of Neil from the Young Ones and Mick Mars. Shame he isn't as interesting as that though.

Still think Wrathchild are funnier.

But not as funny as this

Bret Michaels issues colorful statement on his Tonys mishap | Music | A.V. Club

Aye, every stage set has its giant descending monolith.