aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Yassssssssssssssssssssss

You sir, are incorrect. It was the decision that should have been made in the first instance. For all the club have made a mighty embarassing hash of things, the original punishment was not proportional to the crime. There is absolutely no precedent for throwing a side out of the tournament for fielding an inelegible player. Indeed, the precedent is very much a replay and a fine. Brechin were kicked out a few years ago, but they fielded TWO inelegible players and tried to get away with their error.

I think the appeal has taken into account the relative unimportance of the other 'breaches' that the club made. There is not a chance in hell that the SFA would have picked up on the under 21 issue if the Woods debacle hadn't brought attention to the game. The teamsheet was ammended 50 minutes before the game began, with the approval of both Stenny and the referee. Clearly not an issue, and the kind of 'rule-breaking' that goes on across the nation every other week. The fact we were 4-0 up when the offending right back came on (who had a crap game, by the way) might have had some bearing on the result of the appeal, too.

The vast majority of the press and an array of prominent figures in Scottish football spoke out against the original sentence: Kenny Clarke, Billy Dodds, Pat Nevin and Tam Cowan to name a few.

The club made a horrendous error, which will cost us thirty grand and a replay of a game we won 7-1. That is a fair punishment. To get horsed out of the cup for an honest administrative error is draconian at best, and the result of the appeal reflects this. For that absolute cretin Smith to say the 'integrity of the Scottish Cup' was at stake whilst chucking out a side that had won their tie 7-1 was a joke.

Oh, and hats off to Stenny, who are about the only party to have handled themselves brilliantly throughout the sorry affair. May the best team win the replay.

You would say that. You support them.

The fact of the matter is, they cheated. I couldnae gie a fleeing fuck whether they beat Man United 7-1, they still cheated even though they'd been told that Woods was suspended.

The fine is a joke as well. They'll easily pay that off when they beat Stenny again and meet Celtic. Cunts. :down:

You would say that. You support them.

The fact of the matter is, they cheated. I couldnae gie a fleeing fuck whether they beat Man United 7-1, they still cheated even though they'd been told that Woods was suspended.

The fine is a joke as well. They'll easily pay that off when they beat Stenny again and meet Celtic. Cunts. :down:

Cheated? Really? Why would you actively decide to field a player you knew was suspended in a game you'd already won? Don't be ridiculous.

Shittest transfer window ever?

it's been a bit quiet so far hasn't it? Maybe it'll pick up this week being the last few days of it, eagerly awaiting which ex leyton orient players Mr Ling is going to sign to help us huff, puff and struggle through the rest of this very disappointing season.

it is a real gamble for the hammers to sign one player on such a huge wage. If, as I suspect, its an expensive foreign import it'll probably be someone who has never experienced a relegation battle and whose legs are going or just about gone (such as van nostrilboy). Personally I'd rather spend that kind of wages on 2 or 3 gritty but good championship players who can help the team tackle their way out of trouble and who are up for the fight.

it is a real gamble for the hammers to sign one player on such a huge wage. If, as I suspect, its an expensive foreign import it'll probably be someone who has never experienced a relegation battle and whose legs are going or just about gone (such as van nostrilboy). Personally I'd rather spend that kind of wages on 2 or 3 gritty but good championship players who can help the team tackle their way out of trouble and who are up for the fight.

It's easy to underestimate the impact of a star signing. It might not be the player himself who directly keeps them from relegation but the lift it gives the fans is an immense boost for the team. Also, there's the lift it gives other players in the dressing room to have an experienced top level footballer in there. Look at the strikers they've got just now... I bet the wingers are not overly confident when pinging balls into the box, as are the centre mids when they're looking for that cutting through ball. Add a target man who's gonna be man-marked and generally scares the opposition to change tactics from the last time they played WH... suddenly the shots on goal go up, the crosses are getting put in early and the dodgy bounces start going WH's way. Championship players, with the daunting step up to the prem, are just as risky I'd say. Especially strikers, who'll bang them in against Derby, Cardiff, etc but find it to be a whole other ball game against seasoned Prem teams.

Yassssssssssssssssssssss

You sir, are incorrect. It was the decision that should have been made in the first instance. For all the club have made a mighty embarassing hash of things, the original punishment was not proportional to the crime. There is absolutely no precedent for throwing a side out of the tournament for fielding an inelegible player. Indeed, the precedent is very much a replay and a fine. Brechin were kicked out a few years ago, but they fielded TWO inelegible players and tried to get away with their error.

The precedent is even clearer than that: Brechin were originally only caught for one ineligible player and a replay was ordered, they were only booted out when the second ineligible player came to light.

Fuck Van Nistelrooy actually. I hope it's Denilson. Not Arsenal's. That Brazillian who played for Real Betis. He was shite at everything apart from keep-ups and stepovers. He was tipped (by himself) to be better than Pele, but he was shite. He trialled at Bolton earlier this year. It is believed that Megson said off the record that it'd be more use if he played himself on the left wing than Denilson. I don't know if it true, but I'm going to believe it, because it made me laugh.

God, someone just buy someone already. None of this On-Loan shite either. That's for League 1 clubs who are in administratuion, and the players are revolting because they haven't been paid, and Repot Depot have taken away the turf from the ground. Come on! Millions and millions of pounds on a foriegn superstar who is likely to flop in a different league.

I miss that low Highbury camera.

This! I was trying to explain this to a guy at work the other day and he didn't know what I'm talking about. Sometimes I think I'm just going crazy due to how anal I am about everything.

I was watching Bolton/Arsenal at the Reebok the other week, and the camera was really low. Is it just me, or the did Camera at the Reebok used to be really high and look quite far away? It's changed anyway and I don't like it.

Fuck Van Nistelrooy actually. I hope it's Denilson. Not Arsenal's. That Brazillian who played for Real Betis. He was shite at everything apart from keep-ups and stepovers. He was tipped (by himself) to be better than Pele, but he was shite. He trialled at Bolton earlier this year. It is believed that Megson said off the record that it'd be more use if he played himself on the left wing than Denilson. I don't know if it true, but I'm going to believe it, because it made me laugh.

God, someone just buy someone already. None of this On-Loan shite either. That's for League 1 clubs who are in administratuion, and the players are revolting because they haven't been paid, and Repot Depot have taken away the turf from the ground. Come on! Millions and millions of pounds on a foriegn superstar who is likely to flop in a different league.

More lollipops than a chuppa chups factory that guy. 0 end product. Waste of space all those wafer light Brazilian showboaters in the prem. You seen the next one, Kerlon, who dribbles with his head?

A lot of these loan deals serve purely to offset taxes. Not sure entirely how it works. Still a few more days to go though. There's gotta be at least one big surprise.

I was watching Bolton/Arsenal at the Reebok the other week, and the camera was really low. Is it just me, or the did Camera at the Reebok used to be really high and look quite far away? It's changed anyway and I don't like it.

No, you're right. It was definitely higher before. It had that odd effect when the ball was on the near touchline like you were looking directly down on the pitch, semi-swos style.

Craven Cottage is also really low, as is upton park. White Hart lane has the best camera position IMO.

No, you're right. It was definitely higher before. It had that odd effect when the ball was on the near touchline like you were looking directly down on the pitch, semi-swos style.

Craven Cottage is also really low, as is upton park. White Hart lane has the best camera position IMO.

I don't usually like it low, but Highbury was just ridiculously low, and it almost made the game impossible to watch. "Is it in? I don't know, it might be. Bergkamp is celebrating but I'm certainly not convinced"

It's often too high in Spanish grounds, especially the Nou Camp, but it sort of helps, because their pitch is just massive.

Guest Gladstone

Denilson. He came on for Fat Ronaldo in that World Cup final that France won didn't he? I remember him flying up the left wing about 3 or 4 times, and stopping and doing about 23 stepovers without going anywhere. He might as well have just stopped the ball and taken a step back, because he never followed a stepover with dragging the ball one way or the other. All a defender really needed to do was just take the ball because once he started with his stepover pish, you knew you had a good 5 minutes before the ball moved again. The speed of the stepovers was impressive though - if he had spent his youth learning how to cross a ball properly rather than perfecting the million mph stepover, he'd have been the best crosser of the ball since Gary Megson.

• Upvote 1

Kerlon did look pretty decent, but then he turned into a bit of a circus act. Now it's like watching the Harlem Globetrotters, except without the coreography and match fixing.

Defenders used to take pot shots at him as well. I remember seeing a video where he was running down the wing with the ball on his head like he was a performing seal and a centre half running up and wellying him in the ribs. Kind of like what happens if you wear coulorful boots in the Sunday league at Seaton.

I hate how we have to call him Fat Ronaldo now so people know who you are talking about. Why can't the order be switched, and he be referred to as greasy Ronaldo? I do like greasy Ronaldo though. I bet he'd make a good best mate, always having a laugh. What a hoot.

I always prefer to refer to him as Original Ronaldo.

Note - This is in no way a play on your user name.

Matthew Kilgallon - what a hero. He started out with "I'm leaving sheff utd at the end of the season for nothing" a couple of weeks ago, then moved onto "I'm not leaving Sheff Utd at all" followed by an emphatic "I'm not going to Newcastle because I want to get Sheff Utd promoted" and also "I'm not leaving Sheff Utd because I want to go to Everton at the end of the season" and ended up with "I'm signing for Sunderland".

Guest Gladstone
Defenders used to take pot shots at him as well. I remember seeing a video where he was running down the wing with the ball on his head like he was a performing seal and a centre half running up and wellying him in the ribs. Kind of like what happens if you wear coulorful boots in the Sunday league at Seaton.

Remember Nani did that (against Chelsea?) a couple of seasons ago?

I remember Fergie coming out and practically apologising for it. Fuck that. Man United were bossing the game, and the boy did a bit of showboating - football is about entertainment. He has the ability to run down the wing, balancing the ball on his head, so fucking do it whenever you get the chance I say. Big hardy defenders have the ability to wipe Nani out with one tackle, which I'm pretty sure someone tried, but then they should get booked, and well Nani wins (so long as his legs aren't broken in half).

Skillful players should not be discouraged from showboating their skills in front of a paying crowd. The couple of seasons I had a season ticket at Celtic Park was back in Lubo's days. I would pay to get in just to watch him messing about in the warm up - fucking brilliant. He is one of our best ever players, because he had all the tricks under the sun, but he was massively effective, scoring and setting up goals for fun, and if you pissed him off, he actually got stuck in and tackled now and again. I fucking loved Lubo. Remember him trapping the ball with his arse? That's what I pay my money for.

Showboating has become a forgotten art nowadays. The odd stepover gets thrown into the mix and backheels have become part and parcel of the modern game but real Lee Trundle-esque no-point-at-all showboating is becoming les and less common. Like needlessly trapping the ball on the back of the neck, the old flick over the head, etc. Remember Redondo against Berg in the CL? (i think it was him) Kancheslkis' standing on the ball thing (shit skill but ace)? Okocha for Bolton against Arsenal on the bi-line? you don't see that so much and I for one would like to see it brought back.

Guest Gladstone
Showboating has become a forgotten art nowadays. The odd stepover gets thrown into the mix and backheels have become part and parcel of the modern game but real Lee Trundle-esque no-point-at-all showboating is becoming les and less common. Like needlessly trapping the ball on the back of the neck, the old flick over the head, etc. Remember Redondo against Berg in the CL? (i think it was him) Kancheslkis' standing on the ball thing (shit skill but ace)? Okocha for Bolton against Arsenal on the bi-line? you don't see that so much and I for one would like to see it brought back.

I'm all for it. Did anyone see the clip of Mark Fotheringham for the Celtic youth team? He was on the bi-line, and did an over-the-head flick over a defender (maybe two defenders) head, and then shot off the post (I think) - certainly didn't lead to a goal anyway.

I thought we had the new Pele on our books, then he turned into a fat bastard that strolls about in the middle of the park, doing not much of fuck all...

EDIT: