aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

I can't quite understand it - as has been pointed out he beat Levein every year and yet Levein is highly respected and was a shoo in for the Scotland job. Is it just because Calderwood is an inarticulate boorish oaf and Levein wears glasses and can string a sentence together?

Essentially yes I'd say. Levein is very good with the media and clearly has their respect as well while Jimmy had the habit of blaming players in his interviews when we lost. Fact is, he was well within his rights to do so as if the team haven't stuck to his tactics and that has lost them the game then it is their fault. I always thought points on the board was the main thing though and to quote a classic film:

"I'd rather look bad and win than look good and lose" - Woody Harrelson, White Men Can't Jump - the best film never to win an Oscar...fact!

Myself and my boss were speaking about Jimmy getting sacked the other day. Her point was that we shouldn't have got rid of him as football is a results business. Really that is nothing more than a cliche now as fans want to be entertained. Going by results, Jimmy was our best manager in a long time but the fans never took to him. Gordon Strachan wasn't liked at Parkhead yet he won four out of five titles. Arsene Wenger is loved at Arsenal but they haven't won anything since 2005 (I think) but play the most attractive football in the league. Results go a long way but style of play, respect, how articulate you are with the media are every bit as important I guess.

I think you're nearly right with your last sentence, but I think it also has a lot to do with style of play. Now, I'm basing this more on what I've read and heard than seen, because I haven't been watching that much football lately, but Levein seems to be very keen on the passing game, and trying to develop footballers,

Dundee Utd under Avril Levein, like Hearts before them, played hoofball centred around lumps of wood like McKenna, de Vries, Wilkie and Dods.

He has the best publicist in the world, because his managerial record is not good.

Still, I hope he does a great job for Scotland.

Dundee Utd under Avril Levein, like Hearts before them, played hoofball centred around lumps of wood like McKenna, de Vries, Wilkie and Dods.

He has the best publicist in the world, because his managerial record is not good.

Still, I hope he does a great job for Scotland.

I seem to recall him going something like 20 games without a win for United a few years ago, and still the press were tripping over themselves to pour on the superlatives about how he's the next great Scottish manager. At the same time, the phones on "Your Call" were in meltdown from greetin' faced Arabs moaning about how shit he was.

Guest Gladstone
Never knew you got in amongst her!

*high five*

Yes indeed. Many moons ago - in fact nearly 10 years ago now. Jesus that makes me feel old.

She dumped me on 30th December, which was fairly harsh. I made up for it by pulling your sister a week later (no shit).

;)

Guest Gladstone
I think taking advantage of a constipated lassie is pretty low! :down:

What I meant was she didn't shit on me that night, as was her usual preference...

Those Cruden Bay lassies are well rough.

Shame about Torres now being out for 6 weeks. I don't know why this surgery wasn't called for sooner, as he's been on and off the pitch for a long time now with the same knee injury. Super Ngog could easily fill the Torres void in his absence. He's got skill, speed and pace, just like Torres. Infact, he's probably better than Torres. If only they had 11 Ngog's.

Shame about Torres now being out for 6 weeks. I don't know why this surgery wasn't called for sooner, as he's been on and off the pitch for a long time now with the same knee injury. Super Ngog could easily fill the Torres void in his absence. He's got skill, speed and pace, just like Torres. Infact, he's probably better than Torres. If only they had 11 Ngog's.

Even sarcastic praise for Ngog I can't handle. Seriously, how did he become a professional footballer? Did someone pretending to be George Weah phone up Rafa and convince him to sign his cousin? ...a la Ali Dia.

The best description of him I ever read was on a Liverpool forum where he was getting absolutely ripped to shreds. The best defence someone put up was... "hey guys, he's a perfectly adequate third string striker"

Russell Anderson has had his Sunderland contract cancelled by mutual agreement, according to the Times' north-east football journo George Caulkin on Twitter.

On his way to Hibs? As a Dons follower, I think I'd rather have Barr now.

I think he'll still want to try and prove himself in England before he comes back with his tail between his legs. I could see him going back to Plymouth or Preston or somewhere shit like Sheffield Wednesday. 8-)

EDIT - It's the truth.

TEAMtalk Sunderland Football News. Anderson released by Black Cats.