aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

I like Chris Hughton. Really, I think he's done a fantastic job to bring the club up to this level admist our biggest boardroom shitstorm in years, and he seems like a genuinely decent, humble bloke who doesn't have an arrogant bone in his body...

... but fucking hell, why does he keep doing stupid shit like picking Nicky Butt over Danny Guthrie as he's (apparently) about to do tonight? That is absolutely criminal. Nolan's out, so we have the perfect opportunity to bring a little bit more impetus into the centre of midfield by playing Guthrie there in his natural position, but nooooo. Fucking Butt man, seriously. The guy's absolutely hopeless. I hate him almost as much as I hate Michael Owen. Smith and Butt in the same midfield? They fill the same role, but Smith's a better tackler who shows greater leadership qualities and doesn't try to spray STUPID Iniesta-esque 30 yard passes around the pitch like Nicky does. What's the fucking point?

Actually, it's quite brilliant that stuff like this is all I have to moan about these days. It's only Coventry, let's 'ave 'em.

Careful now. The team that wins the Fizzy Pop Championship is often the team that slumps the most in the Premier League. Legaue winners seem to have a terrible record in the Premier League compared to automatic promotions and play off winners. Out of the three newbies this term, Wolves are finding it the hardest. Did West Brom win it the year before, when Hull and Stoke came up? Bang. Straight back down.

Make Nicky Butt your key man and captain for a couple of games so you lose a few, convincingly, to bring back the stiff competition. You don't want to be the new West Brom.

Let a few goals in. How about Boxing Day? G'wan.

Careful now. The team that wins the Fizzy Pop Championship is often the team that slumps the most in the Premier League. Legaue winners seem to have a terrible record in the Premier League compared to automatic promotions and play off winners. Out of the three newbies this term, Wolves are finding it the hardest. Did West Brom win it the year before, when Hull and Stoke came up? Bang. Straight back down.

Make Nicky Butt your key man and captain for a couple of games so you lose a few, convincingly, to bring back the stiff competition. You don't want to be the new West Brom.

Psychologically think they don't need to strengthen too much, or something, probably.

Could be! Although Wolves brought int yo-yo Extraordinaire, Kevin Doyle, to spread his wisdom and popping up and down the football ladder. His expertise will be crucial.

What's happened to Ebanks-Blake anyway? Has he been injured? He scored, like, a thousand goals last season, yet I don't think I've seen much of him this year.

We'll need at least 5 or 6 new players when we go up or we'll be fucked. We also need for FatAsh not to decide to try and "sell" the club again. Anything else will be a disaster. As it stands, the only players I'd really want starting for us in the Premiership would be Harper, S. Taylor, Barton (if the prick's ever fit), Jonas, Carroll, and maybe Nolan at a push.

I'm not really worrying about the Premiership at the moment, though. Gotta get outta this league first.

As Newcastle flourish, I worry for Boro. I think we might need a couple of seasons to get back into the premiership, unless the Strach-attack makes some fantastic signings in January. I'm sure he'll get a decent amount of money, maybe we can buy the rest of the 2006-7 Reading squad.

Jonas? I've seen a few Newcastle games this season, and he looks nowhere near as dynamic as he did last season (particularly opening day against Man Utd). He looks infuriating to watch. Wastes heaps of crossing opportunities for failed trickery and such. If there more to him than that?

I've liked watching Alan Smith so far this season. He's a real fighter, and I can still see him slogging it out in the Premier League and doing it well.

Harper is probably the best unnoticed English goalkeeper, for me. He really should be given a go in one of these friendlies in the run up to the WC.

Jonas? I've seen a few Newcastle games this season, and he looks nowhere near as dynamic as he did last season (particularly opening day against Man Utd). He looks infuriating to watch. Wastes heaps of crossing opportunities for failed trickery and such. If there more to him than that?

I've liked watching Alan Smith so far this season. He's a real fighter, and I can still see him slogging it out in the Premier League and doing it well.

Harper is probably the best unnoticed English goalkeeper, for me. He really should be given a go in one of these friendlies in the run up to the WC.

Jonas is the only player in the team who can bring the ball out of midfield and run at opponents. He's vital to the team. Doesn't get a massive amount of goals/assists and his crossing can be shoddy, but he's fantastic at dragging defenders out of position and laying the ball off to the overlapping Enrique. I slag him off a lot and he looks like a twat quite often, but he's very important to us. We have no drive without him.

Shit, I didn't mention Enrique? I'm an idiot. He's our best player.

Smith I'm not sure about because he's looked shite on all the other occaisions he's played for us in the PL. He's been fantastic this season, but I'm not convinced he'll be able to carry that over if we're promoted. After all his injury troubles, I think this is his level.

Your whole team looked very deflated last year. Michael Owen seemed to be literally dragging himself around the pitch at times, just to keep up appearances. Smith looked a bit disinterested too. He seems to be showing a lot of character this year though. I like him alot, so I'd like to see him carry it on in the PL if you lot go back up, which it is looking pretty nailed on that you will, you jammy fucking cunts.

Champions League medal too. Alan Smith only saw the semis of that competition. What a loser.

He did play, and scored in the best United performance ever... Roma 7-1. Even my girlfriend enjoyed that game and she despises football. Watching a game with the other half was a happy but all too brief moment.

Really was something special. I remember thinking 'im totally gonna buy that on dvd to watch again'... i never did. Was more than just a mauling. Perfect attacking football.

/boner

In the classic matches category, notable mentions would go to

Liverpool v Newcastle (the stan collymore 4:3 one)

Aberdeen v copenhagen

Newcastle v man utd (albert lob)

... thats all i can think of just now. Any more?

• Upvote 1

Newcastle v man utd (albert lob)

If I could give you fifty-eight rusty sheriff's badges worth of rep for this I totally would. That game really summed up everything that was brilliant about the Keegan era, and Albert's goal remains one of my all-time favourites. I believe we also raped Spurs 7-1 that season. Better days, man. Better days.

I remember Man City coming back from 3-0 against Tottenham a couple of seasons back, with Joey Barton getting sent off before half-time, and then coming back to win 4-3. Absolutely incredible game, featuring one of the best double saves I've ever seen from Arni Arason.