aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Arguably without the OF, the games become instantly more competitive. The likes of Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee Utd, Dundee (with their bankrolling), Hibs actually would have a chance of winning the league again. Games become more attractive to their fans = more bums on seats = more ticket revenue.

However it's pretty much a given that TV revenue would suffer, so I guess it's about balance. Guaranteed (or as "guaranteed" as you can get nowadays...) TV money vs a POSSIBLE increase in attendances?

Guest Gladstone

Aye, I agree with that.

What about the standard of football? Do you reckon it would get any better? I've been to a fair few borefests at Pittodrie. Do you reckon with more to play for, the teams might clam up a bit? The better games I've seen normally involve Celtic or Rangers, when teams come out and have a proper go at them. Example was back in January when Aberdeen beat Celtic 4-2. That was a magic game of football with loads of excitement, and Celtic just weren't expecting Aberdeen to come at them like they did and couldn't deal with it.

Can't say I'm in favour of it, unless they got chucked in at the bottom rung of the ladder, working their way up from non-league. That would be great.

They're Scottish teams, and it's the English league. Just because they've hit a glass ceiling in their semi-pro league doesn't automatically grant them into a better league with bigger prospects. Would the SPL be in favour of the English FA giving you West Brom? Too good for the Championship, not good enough for the EPL. Glass ceiling applies. Every 3 or 4 years, we could ship our yo-yo teams across the border, and let the SPL deal with them, then you can toss them right back once they've shaped up and start dominating your top flight.

There's every possible chance they could become top 4/5/6 clubs in the EPL after a few years, and what a huge injustice to the league that would be, considering the rivalry between the two countries anyway. An audience of predominantly English supporters watching a Scottish side win the league or gain even a glimpse of success? Fuck that right off. I have no problem with Scottish football, but to watch it invade English football would take the piss, as well as both clubs being automatically granted oppertunities the many English teams below them won't and may never get anywhere near achieving, because they are too good for their division?

It's already annoying enough that the Fizzy Pop league may as well be renamed the Newcastle league, since it's the only attention the CCC gets this season. To have the OF barge into the league, dominate the TV coverage and probably earn promotion on the first time of trying whilst my team sits pretty propping up the top half of the tape would be a huge 'fuck you' from the FA to every club that's been slogging away below the EPL for years.

Besides, there's not a single town or city in the country that will be in favour of trains full of toothless huns coming to their neck of the woods and kicking the fuck out of everything. And how inconsiderate is it of the Aberdeen born and bred Rangers fans? How are they meant to get to the away leg at Portsmouth if it's not on in Weatherspoons?

Guest Gladstone
Can't say I'm in favour of it, unless they got chucked in at the bottom rung of the ladder, working their way up from non-league. That would be great.

They're Scottish teams, and it's the English league. Just because they've hit a glass ceiling in their semi-pro league doesn't automatically grant them into a better league with bigger prospects. Would the SPL be in favour of the English FA giving you West Brom? Too good for the Championship, not good enough for the EPL. Glass ceiling applies. Every 3 or 4 years, we could ship our yo-yo teams across the border, and let the SPL deal with them, then you can toss them right back once they've shaped up and start dominating your top flight.

There's every possible chance they could become top 4/5/6 clubs in the EPL after a few years, and what a huge injustice to the league that would be, considering the rivalry between the two countries anyway. An audience of predominantly English supporters watching a Scottish side win the league or gain even a glimpse of success? Fuck that right off. I have no problem with Scottish football, but to watch it invade English football would take the piss, as well as both clubs being automatically granted oppertunities the many English teams below them won't and may never get anywhere near achieving, because they are too good for their division?

It's already annoying enough that the Fizzy Pop league may as well be renamed the Newcastle league, since it's the only attention the CCC gets this season. To have the OF barge into the league, dominate the TV coverage and probably earn promotion on the first time of trying whilst my team sits pretty propping up the top half of the tape would be a huge 'fuck you' from the FA to every club that's been slogging away below the EPL for years.

Besides, there's not a single town or city in the country that will be in favour of trains full of toothless huns coming to their neck of the woods and kicking the fuck out of everything. And how inconsiderate is it of the Aberdeen born and bred Rangers fans? How are they meant to get to the away leg at Portsmouth if it's not on in Weatherspoons?

That's a great post! Didn't think about it like that.

Why are there a couple of Welsh teams in the English league? How did that come about?

Hello! Heard my name, thought I'd drop by.

Wales didn't have a formal league to call their own until the early 1990s, up until that stage all the clubs in Wales had been part of the English league/non-league pyramid. When the league started up all the Welsh teams in the English system were invited to join but the big guns like Swansea, Cardiff, Wrexham declined the offer and the Welsh FA didn't up a fight because those teams had been in the English league since they started up in the late 19th/early 20th century.

Word.

As for the Old Firm, if they leave the SPL to go south it's going to have a hugely detrimental effect on the European slots. That second CL slot will be gone in a flash given that it's already in doubt and they'll probably force the league winner to go through the qualifying stages to get to the group stages as well. Not sure that that's a particularly good thing.

Also, as a supporter of a team looking to get promotion from the fizzy pop league I'd rather they didn't come along taking our potential spot in the premier league.

I'd make them start in the Coca-Cola League 2. And also they have to play without a keeper.

Ideally.....

1. The English say they'll accept them into the EPL

2. They sever their ties with the SPL

3. The English change their mind about allowing them in because they realise that they smell bad and are simply the vilest of people on the face of the planet.

4. The SPL refuse to take them back

5. They form their own 2 team BPL (Bigots Premier League) and Sectarianism Cup

6. They play each other every week until everyone has been stabbed.

I can't see the big clubs in England going for this and there influence will be greater than Bolton, whose chairman was the one suggesting the restructure a few months back, so think any progress on that ffront will be blocked. Why would the EPL need a restructure anyway? It is currently the most prosperous league in the world and very competitive so there is no need for a two tier division.

I can understand why Rangers and Celtic want to play in a league that will help them grow and move forward but not sure Peter Lawwell claiming he is jealous of other leagues because they are bigger will mean anything. You can only piss with the cock you've got after all so concentrating efforts on improving the Scottish league rather than leaving it may be more beneficial to everyone.

• Upvote 1

thing is if the old firm came to England, teams will have to suffer. even if they went into league 2, would that mean promotion from the conference would be suspended which would pretty fucking piss me off big time. a more realistic solution is probably something on the lines of the atlantic league idea thats been doing the rounds a while now. still not ideal but i think the pros would just about outweigh the cons - it makes sense to lump those nations with 2 or 3 teams clearly of a bigger stature than the rest in one league together. but i'm still not convinced its the way forward and maybe the old firm just have accept where they are and get on with it.

i've no doubts they could compete in the EPL but it seems unfair that english clubs should have to suffer as a result of clubs from another country being too big to play in their own league. having said that the welsh clubs are allowed to play in england so why shouldnt the scots?

conclusively i havent got a fucking clue as to the solution!

Zander Diamond having surgery, out til Christmas....

Dons want Diamond for Christmas | Scottish Premier League | Football News from TEAMtalk

I love the last paragpraph of the story:

"We hope Sone will pack up his bags and get himself back here for the weekend, ready for training on Monday, and ready to destroy Hearts on the Saturday."

Not face or play against Hearts. DESTROY!!!!!!!!!!

thing is if the old firm came to England, teams will have to suffer. even if they went into league 2, would that mean promotion from the conference would be suspended which would pretty fucking piss me off big time.

Exactly. The only benefit to anyone from this is to Rangers and Celtic, there aren't really any serious advantages for the EPL or the teams. The bargaining chip the Old Firm have is the derby games would be associated with the EPL. Not such a bad selling point but on the grand scale of things but does the Premiership need it? Not really, it is a fantastic league without the Old Firm game. I also reckon the trouble the Rangers fans caused in Manchester a couple of years ago kyboshed any glimmer of hope they had of getting any sort of move to England.

Anyhoo, Scotland on TV tomorrow morning if we have a team to put out. Langers will be up front at this rate if anyone else drops out!

So, why is it just the Scottish league that this is being proposed as happening to? Ajax dominited their league for years and years, and whilst they have slipped since the turn of the century, they were still arguably too big for their own league for a long time. La Liga has it's own old firm in the domination of Barca and Real. La Liga is more competitive than ever right now, but there's still a history of domination and a gulf between the top 2 and the rest of the division. As has been said, this will only benefit the Old Firm. It really won't be the saving grace for the SPL, as TV coverage and investors will completely lose interest in what will be considered a very minor league when the only 2 successful sides jump ship, if it were to happen. If the role was reversed, I'm sure Scotland wouldn't be too thrilled to have an English side chucked in near enough to the top flight, dominate TV coverage and easily surpass the mid table fodder who have been slogging away for years.

Reports on this suggest the outrage from the OF that the bottom club in the EPL makes over 15 times more revenue than either of the Old Firm, which is why they are so keen to jump ship. Still, as xenophobic as it probably appears, I can't see any English football supporter being in favour of the Old Firm coming to play in our garden because they are "too big" for their own.

The other option was an "Atlantic League", featuring clubs from around Europe who have also hit this 'glass ceiling' in their division. Fine, chuck them into that. It sounds like a complete disaster, which will be nothing but a good thing for those who have no interest in Ringers and Selltic. I have no idea who else is apparently lined up to be in that. I'm sure if you looked at every top flight in Europe, you would see a history of a small group of teams dominating the success, making it a completely redundant case, and an outcry of "Why aren't we in it then" from every top 2/3/4 club around the globe.

I can't really see why they almost feel they deserve this right to play bigger and better football? Both teams were embarassing in Europe last season for what are apparently big clubs, Rangers more so, who look set for a repeat this season.

Small clubs with big stadiums.

So, why is it just the Scottish league that this is being proposed as happening to? Ajax dominited their league for years and years, and whilst they have slipped since the turn of the century, they were still arguably too big for their own league for a long time. La Liga has it's own old firm in the domination of Barca and Real. La Liga is more competitive than ever right now, but there's still a history of domination and a gulf between the top 2 and the rest of the division. As has been said, this will only benefit the Old Firm. It really won't be the saving grace for the SPL, as TV coverage and investors will completely lose interest in what will be considered a very minor league when the only 2 successful sides jump ship, if it were to happen. If the role was reversed, I'm sure Scotland wouldn't be too thrilled to have an English side chucked in near enough to the top flight, dominate TV coverage and easily surpass the mid table fodder who have been slogging away for years.

Reports on this suggest the outrage from the OF that the bottom club in the EPL makes over 15 times more revenue than either of the Old Firm, which is why they are so keen to jump ship. Still, as xenophobic as it probably appears, I can't see any English football supporter being in favour of the Old Firm coming to play in our garden because they are "too big" for their own.

The other option was an "Atlantic League", featuring clubs from around Europe who have also hit this 'glass ceiling' in their division. Fine, chuck them into that. It sounds like a complete disaster, which will be nothing but a good thing for those who have no interest in Ringers and Selltic. I have no idea who else is apparently lined up to be in that. I'm sure if you looked at every top flight in Europe, you would see a history of a small group of teams dominating the success, making it a completely redundant case, and an outcry of "Why aren't we in it then" from every top 2/3/4 club around the globe.

I can't really see why they almost feel they deserve this right to play bigger and better football? Both teams were embarassing in Europe last season for what are apparently big clubs, Rangers more so, who look set for a repeat this season.

Small clubs with big stadiums.

Have you actually read the article to which Carrots referred? It's about Celtic's indication that "they would consider joining the lowest level of the English League with the aim of playing in its Premier League". So your complaints regarding them being allowed in or near the top flight from the start are moot.

I'm sure the purists will hate this but I think Celtic as a business should be allowed access to the English league as a market. They would not be "small clubs with big stadiums" if they could get into the EPL and they have indicated a willingness to start at the bottom. There are obvious geographical reasons as to why Scottish teams might (and why Welsh teams do) play in the English league, and I guess I wouldn't be opposed to Ajax playing in Germany or whatever. It's probably never been previously considered because football has never been as commercially minded or global as it now is, but like it or not that's changed.

Have you actually read the article to which Carrots referred? It's about Celtic's indication that "they would consider joining the lowest level of the English League with the aim of playing in its Premier League". So your complaints regarding them being allowed in or near the top flight from the start are moot.

I'm sure the purists will hate this but I think Celtic as a business should be allowed access to the English league as a market. They would not be "small clubs with big stadiums" if they could get into the EPL and they have indicated a willingness to start at the bottom. There are obvious geographical reasons as to why Scottish teams might (and why Welsh teams do) play in the English league, and I guess I wouldn't be opposed to Ajax playing in Germany or whatever. It's probably never been previously considered because football has never been as commercially minded or global as it now is, but like it or not that's changed.

From some reason that made me chuckle.

The original Atlantic League plan about 10 years ago was for Rangers, Celtic, Benfica, Sporting, Ajax, PSV and a the top two teams from the Danish, Norwegian and Swedish leagues.