aberdeen-music

Finally! P&J gets behing the local music scene...

Frosty Jack

wether people have had success in the past is surely irrelevent. do we all agree that more coverage for aberdeen bands is a good thing and indeed is something that the p and j should be doing anyway as a part of it's local coverage remit? yes. good then we can continue with trying to persuade them that regular coverage is needed then.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how so? granted there's large amount of punk and metal bands but there is also a diverse range of other music in aberdeen.

There is indeed, but, do you ever see them on here? Or cover acts? Rarely because the scenester hynenas give them such a hard time that they fuck off.

The site name is Aberdeen Music not Aberdeen punk and metal. I personally have never seen a folk artist on here or a jazz player. And cover acts are treated worse than paedophiles on here.

maybe the jazzer's aren't interested in posting on here? i dunno. you get some hip hop folks posting occasionally. i don't think it's because of any kind of ostracisation that you see more punk and metallers posting on here than folk or jazz musicians i think it's probably just cause the kids and the younger people are mainly into punk and metal and theyr'e the ones that have the time and inclination to sit and post on messageboards all the time. plus maybe the folk and jazz musicians just don't know about this site.

i've never seen any actual agression against cover's acts, it's a way to make some extra cash innit? but i do think they should be seen as lesser bands than ones who create their own music. but that's a whole other discussion.

wether people have had success in the past is surely irrelevent. do we all agree that more coverage for aberdeen bands is a good thing and indeed is something that the p and j should be doing anyway as a part of it's local coverage remit? yes. good then we can continue with trying to persuade them that regular coverage is needed then.

Yes and No, I agree that some extra coverage is good, but the problem is there are a lot of bands who aren't as good as others that feel they'd deserve equal billing with the bands that are out there doing things like the late PAGG or Jo. I agree that to miss out on coveriung some of the best local acts and to cover things like the article in question is stupid but it's lazy journalism and it's not just an Aberdeen Journals thing, when was the last time that the Daily Record covered an up and coming band, it's a general journalism thing. I also do think that if people are coming up with something interesting enough and are part of the 'target market' that the journals is aimed towards then they will get mentioned. I do think it's bad that bands like PAGG's tour with the Wildhearts wasn't copvered, but I'm hardly surprised, They may have been a top 20 act, but the general public doesn't know who they are, the rock buying public do.

Maybe the reason we've had success is we only ever send out press releases when we have something genuinely interesting to the general public, not just to our fanbase. You can't expect coverage for every gig, but when you get a decent tour, I think it's fair to expect something, but it must be something you've earned if that makes sense. I think ots important the bands realise that.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest stuartmaxwell

i've never seen any actual agression against cover's acts' date=' it's a way to make some extra cash innit? but i do think they should be seen as lesser bands than ones who create their own music. but that's a whole other discussion.[/quote']

i dont know why the jazzers wouldnt come on here, a lot of people have a lot of respect for jazz and folk music, i respect some jazz artists i.e. the more inspirational ones, those hwo are perfectionists-and dare i say it: those who dont improvise 90% of their set

as for folk music, i love folk music, there is a great folk jam in the blue lamp every monday which i go to regularly, its truly beautiful music

as for cover acts, i think a lot less of them, i see why they do it, but im an elitist music snob and therefore i am :p

Guest Sundaram
I respect some jazz artists i.e. the more inspirational ones' date=' those who are perfectionists and dare i say it: those who dont improvise 90% of their set.[/quote']

With this in mind...

1) How do you know if the music is improvised?

2) How do you know if the music is written?

hmmmm!

Re contacting Aberdeen Journals for gig coverage - I've contacted them every time I've organised a gig - by phone AND post. Not interested. Yet they send a bloke out with a camera to every piss poor retirement do and 40th birthday. Just think there needs to be a bit more of a balance.

There is indeed' date=' but, do you ever see them on here? Or cover acts? Rarely because the scenester hynenas give them such a hard time that they fuck off.

The site name is Aberdeen Music not Aberdeen punk and metal. I personally have never seen a folk artist on here or a jazz player. And cover acts are treated worse than paedophiles on here.[/quote']

totally agree

so...

is it not the newspapers job to actually go out and find news...

not just print what they've been sent

am i right?

obviously you can't cover everything that happens

but maybe a little bit of effort on their part would be nice

maybe a budding young journo on here should send them a c.v

and a plan to improve their what's on/music coverage

?

just trying to plant some seeds y'know..

you do what you can

Christ, imagine if your band WAS endorsed by that miserable parochial rag, how uncool would that be? If it means that much to yous, phone them up and ask to speak to a reporter - if you're doing anything vaguely newsworthy, and they've got space to fill you'll probably get something in. Getting 'discovered' requires a more pro-active approach than you'd think.

I don't think a pile of snotty emails will achieve anything (remember northsound/delgate?). Journalists have to fill space quickly, it would be vain, to say the least, to expect one to spend the time neccessary to understand all the musical/social/political intricacies of the local pissclub, especially when the boy from Driveblind's number is already in their mobile.

another mystery solved - get back to yer fucking work!

oh my god......you moaning twats

''we are great - we deserve coverage - we are so happening - we are the news- they owe it to us to make us famous and worship our talent !!!''

blah blah fucking blah

snooty and slightly desperate sounding wee letters as barely disguised attempts to suck their backwater media dicks ....oh dear

i think im gonna be sick

again

as if anyone witha brain reads it anyway

its main function is cat litter and tramp's blankets

Guest Stripey
oh my god......you moaning twats

''we are great - we deserve coverage - we are so happening - we are the news- they owe it to us to make us famous and worship our talent !!!''

blah blah fucking blah

snooty and slightly desperate sounding wee letters as barely disguised attempts to suck their backwater media dicks ....oh dear

i think im gonna be sick

again

as if anyone witha brain reads it anyway

its main function is cat litter and tramp's blankets

: standing ovation :

Does it really matter if the local rags print something about a local band? Is that going to enhance the bands allure to record companies/audiences outside Aberdeen? I think not.

Although I think the coverage in the P+J is laughable (the last article I saw was about three middle-aged men recruiting a middle-aged guitarist for their blues covers band*) I don't see the point of getting upset about it.

* It's just occurred to me, the "hook" for that article was that he was recruited through an advert in the paper. Maybe they're hoping lightning will strike twice and have decided to speed up the process by printing the advert in their own words. I little follow up article sitting on your computer waiting for a slow news day would be handy for a journalist, I'd imagine.

yeah...

all good points...

however i do think that maybe there should be more articles in the paper about bands and gigs.

people are always complaining about low turnouts and all that

so maybe if people were given the opportunity to sit and read about a band or event that was going on they would be more interested...

this goes for touring bands just as much as local ones

why arent there press releases in the paper when bands come up here to play

the boy elton was on the front page for weeks

- i know thats a little different.. but still

right now del's column in the EE is really the only thing that says aything about local music

oh and....

u's all need to calm down

calm blue ocean

calm blue ocean

Right, Ive done my letter now......

To any lazy backwater media hack who accidentally reads this,

Please can you write some nice things about my band. And my friends band. We are great you know, and someday very soon we will be famous household names. You can say you discovered us if you like. Me and Johnny (my friend) are part of a scene. You should write about the scene. Its really great. Johnny comes to see my band and offers us 'constructive critisism'. Then I go to see his band and I too, offer 'constructive critisism'. Secretly though, we both really fucking hate each other. Its all so fantastic and surely just as newsworthy as the one eared sheep that was gang raped in Turrif. You see, if we can read about ourselves, it will really help to inflate our egos and make our mums and girlfriends very proud. We are prepared to offer sexual favours, if you do offer to write something nice in your newspaper about us. After all, we are incapable of making any difference on our own and we would much rather you did it for us! Please help, we are desperate. And Im sure your only reader (Mrs Mackenzie of Tillydrone, aged 92) will enjoy reading about our fantastic third rate grotcore, twatpunk, and crotchmetal.

A huge needy thankyou in advance,

A Pissclubber

Aberdeen

Guest Tam o' Shantie

on an unrelated note, i'm fairly sick of 'controversial' types who are hugely more informed about everything music wise in aberdeen - despite constant pokes at this 'scene' (OR LACK OF IT LOOOOOOOOL) they fail to realise the irony in the fact that they belong to an identical subgroup of wannabe 'misfits' who spend their entire time patting each other on the back and generally behaving in the entire same way as the bands in the ridiculous insular dated backwater fishing village 'scene' whom they spend their entire sad lives obsessing over.

stuff EXACTLY like some of the posts in this thread for starters.....

thinking for one nano second that anyone outside the 'scene' who actualy reads the P+J is just waiting to hear how you are all gonna ''kick ass'' or ''rock tha muthafuckin house'' at your next gig

accurate journalism?

highly newsworthy?

remotely entertaining or informative?

erm.....outside the confines scene*......I think the answer will be a huge big massive NOPE!!!!