aberdeen-music

Free Anti-Virus software?

kirkt

I'm not sure what to get. Any recommendations? A link just came up on my computer saying I have 103 infected Trojan files infected, I've a feeling that it may just have been a scam to get me to download a virus but realised since my McAfee trial expired I should actually get some protection. Please help!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what to get. Any recommendations? A link just came up on my computer saying I have 103 infected Trojan files infected, I've a feeling that it may just have been a scam to get me to download a virus but realised since my McAfee trial expired I should actually get some protection. Please help!

NEVER click on anything which suddenly pops up telling you that your computer is full of viruses/worms/trojans which mysteriously appears when you load a webpage. If you do, it soon will be.

These popups are the computer equivalent of someone walking around with a sandwich board saying "END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH". Do you talk to them?

Exactly.

Uninstall the expired antivirus and install either AVG or Avast as the previous poster said.

AVG is good but it is a total memory hog, plus it fucked up my Steam games because it uses a lot of paged pool memory for its resident protection.

In the end, I uninstalled it and opted for Avast. I haven't any any problems whatsoever and it has picked up some viruses which have been on my computer for years and AVG failed to pick up.

I also have Avira installed on my parents laptop, it that seems to do the trick for them, however I think it consumes a lot of CPU time when scanning so it may not be ideal for intensive PC users.

AVG is good but it is a total memory hog, plus it fucked up my Steam games because it uses a lot of paged pool memory for its resident protection.

what do you mean? Ive had a few problems with steam crashing, might be something to do with that.

Ive used AVG for years but must admit ive been thinking about switching to avast, avg just seems to crash a lot and the update thing can be dodgy, although ive not had any virus issues since using it.

what do you mean? Ive had a few problems with steam crashing, might be something to do with that.

Ive used AVG for years but must admit ive been thinking about switching to avast, avg just seems to crash a lot and the update thing can be dodgy, although ive not had any virus issues since using it.

Here is the Steam support article on it:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5034-EIPV-6426

Cheers for your help everyone. I think I'll get Avast! and AVG (although I hear the latter one is a nightmare to uninstall?)

I can understand why you would think having two anti-virus solutions on your computer would be a good idea, but in practice I would assume it would slow everything down considerably. Not only do you risk the chance of both the applications conflicting with each other when a threat is discovered, but it would also mean that any real-time protection would scan any file opened twice, delaying the file being opened even more.

As for AVG uninstallation, I never had any problems - just a simple 'uninstall AVG' wizard and a restart. It may leave some traces of it behind, but I doubt anything that would be malicious.

maybe someone on here could help me, i used to have norton on the laptop, it came with it unfortunately, i unistalled it and put avg on however somewhere along the line i had to do a system restore due to a problem and now norton shows up on my add remove programmes and i cannot get rid of it, there are still a few folders with files in them i cannot delete either, i also very occasionaly get an error message related to this, is there anyway to finally get rid of that piece of crap programme off my computer?

maybe someone on here could help me, i used to have norton on the laptop, it came with it unfortunately, i unistalled it and put avg on however somewhere along the line i had to do a system restore due to a problem and now norton shows up on my add remove programmes and i cannot get rid of it, there are still a few folders with files in them i cannot delete either, i also very occasionaly get an error message related to this, is there anyway to finally get rid of that piece of crap programme off my computer?

You would need to hack around your registry to get rid of it totally, not a practice you should undertake if you don't know what you are doing.

I think Avast is good, not tried others but the price is right. I like the way it tells me in a somewhat electronic voice "Virus Database has been updated" and on the occasions when I'm randomly playing some appropriate electronic music, I get a kick out of it when the update voice comes on with a natural glitch... sounds wicked. Virus DDDDDDDAAAAATTTTAAAAAbase updated.

Aye min. I use AVG. I've tried Avast too and its pretty good. For me, AVG is a bit better, if your PC can cope with it.

I would, however, advise against installing them both at the same time. Especially if you are unsure that your PC can handle AVG on its own. Bear in mind, antivirus programs have processes running in the background all the time and running 2 at once will only slow things down even more. On top of that there can be several clashes between the programs if one decides to let something through and the other doesn't etc. All in all, it causes more bother than it's worth.

If you are unsure about what your PC can handle, I would download Avast for a month or two. If it does the job, leave it in place. If not, delete it, then install AVG. If you have a lot of problems with AVG crashing etc, revert back to Avast and make do.

Best advice i can give.

x