aberdeen-music

Free Anti-Virus software?

kirkt

Well, I know what is being uninstalled when I get home then!

Cheers for the link, hopefully it will improve my ping for CoD:WaW too.

:up:

Prob a better idea to just open your task manager, go into processes and close AVG first, then give COD a bash to see if thats your problem.

maybe someone on here could help me, i used to have norton on the laptop, it came with it unfortunately, i unistalled it and put avg on however somewhere along the line i had to do a system restore due to a problem and now norton shows up on my add remove programmes and i cannot get rid of it, there are still a few folders with files in them i cannot delete either, i also very occasionaly get an error message related to this, is there anyway to finally get rid of that piece of crap programme off my computer?

I'm doing a degree in computer science at the mo so these kinda conversations come up a lot. The end result of which is usually "Norton is like cancer for computers. You never really get rid of it completely"

Real men play FPS on PC.

:up:

Agreed

You would need to hack around your registry to get rid of it totally, not a practice you should undertake if you don't know what you are doing.

Agreed

x

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prob a better idea to just open your task manager, go into processes and close AVG first, then give COD a bash to see if thats your problem.

I'm doing a degree in computer science at the mo so these kinda conversations come up a lot. The end result of which is usually "Norton is like cancer for computers. You never really get rid of it completely"

so is there no real way to get rid of it then unless im some kind of computer genius? could anyone on here do it?

Guest treader.

For removing AVG or really any programs that are leaving behind bits and pieces, just download Your Uninstaller! 2009.

It's the best. It completely removes any remainder of a software program on your computer so you KNOW that it's completely uninstalled. Totally schweet.

For me personally, registry wanking is a lot like most sports. Theres a big difference between knowing how to do it and actually being able to do it... I'd love to help, but since i've never actually had to do it on my own PC, i wouldnt feel comfortable doing it on anyone elses... I'me sure theres plenty people on here that know more about it than me anyhoo.

x

For me personally, registry wanking is a lot like most sports. Theres a big difference between knowing how to do it and actually being able to do it... I'd love to help, but since i've never actually had to do it on my own PC, i wouldnt feel comfortable doing it on anyone elses... I'me sure theres plenty people on here that know more about it than me anyhoo.

x

do you have any experience with that programme euan suggested? Would it remove it for me or would i still need someone to help with the registry?

For removing AVG or really any programs that are leaving behind bits and pieces, just download Your Uninstaller! 2009.

It's the best. It completely removes any remainder of a software program on your computer so you KNOW that it's completely uninstalled. Totally schweet.

Either that or it deletes the part of the software that has any HCI output. Thus it will never turn up on your screen but can still be running bits and bobs and still takes up HDD space.

Then again, I've never used the program. It may well be some lovely new godsend!

x

It's Ewan, and Your Uninstaller! will clear the registry of any trace of "whateversoftwareyouwantridof"

Might have to give it a bash. Got a few files kickin about on here that have become corrupted at some stage or another and just wont budge. Nothing worth registry wanking, just stuff that takes up a little space and makes my defragments take that extra minute longer.

x

Guest treader.
Either that or it deletes the part of the software that has any HCI output. Thus it will never turn up on your screen but can still be running bits and bobs and still takes up HDD space.

Then again, I've never used the program. It may well be some lovely new godsend!

x

Well, you say that, but you're basing that on absolutely NOTHING at all. So you know...

Well, you say that, but you're basing that on absolutely NOTHING at all. So you know...

I'm basing that on the fact that a lot of companies dont like their things being deleted and will put a lot of effort into not letting you delete them... I'm also basing it on the fact that the majority of computer users don't know all that much about computers, so if some miracle program can pop along and make it look like its done a job, the vast majority of people will accept that it has done that job.

But as i said, theres also a good chance that it actually works and I'm just looking into it too much.

x

Guest treader.

Your Uninstaller! 2008 FREE Download, Fix uninstall problems, completely remove programs.

Completely remove any application installed.

Deep scan of registry and entire disk for unused registry entries and files. [PRO]

Remove programs that could not be removed by Add/Remove Program. [PRO]

Also, Your Uninstaller is a third-party uninstaller, rather than one that comes with a software package. The 'Uninstall' program that comes with for example Adobe is an uninstaller programmed by Adobe, for Adobe so they can easily configure which 'bits' of their own software they want to leave behind whereas YI! 2009 is just looking for any trace of it and getting rid of it.

I mean, you're right, I cannot ABSOLUTELY guarantee it's completely deleting every single thing...but I'm pretty certain.

Your Uninstaller! 2008 FREE Download, Fix uninstall problems, completely remove programs.

Completely remove any application installed.

Deep scan of registry and entire disk for unused registry entries and files. [PRO]

Remove programs that could not be removed by Add/Remove Program. [PRO]

Also, Your Uninstaller is a third-party uninstaller, rather than one that comes with a software package. The 'Uninstall' program that comes with for example Adobe is an uninstaller programmed by Adobe, for Adobe.

I mean, you're right, I cannot ABSOLUTELY guarantee it's completely deleting every single thing...but I'm pretty certain.

nice one man cheers ill give it a shot, im always careful when using programmes like this incase something bad happens.

All I'm saying is that if a company can make a program (particularly freeware) that seems to solve a problem thats been going around for years, they will get millions of downloads through word of mouth alone and could end up making a hell of a lot of money off any advertising space they may own. Plus its very hard to proove that they have not done what they said they have.

Unfortunately, I find that, particularly with computers and the internet, if it sounds too good to be true, it very often is.

x

Edit: I'd give the old one a bash through this link Your Uninstaller 2008 - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

Its 2008, but just means its more likely to have more bugs ironed out and also, i 100% trust Free Software Downloads and Reviews - Download.com

Aye min. I use AVG. I've tried Avast too and its pretty good. For me, AVG is a bit better, if your PC can cope with it.

I would, however, advise against installing them both at the same time. Especially if you are unsure that your PC can handle AVG on its own. Bear in mind, antivirus programs have processes running in the background all the time and running 2 at once will only slow things down even more. On top of that there can be several clashes between the programs if one decides to let something through and the other doesn't etc. All in all, it causes more bother than it's worth.

Thanks for pretty much echoing everything I said.

Guest treader.
All I'm saying is that if a company can make a program (particularly freeware) that seems to solve a problem thats been going around for years, they will get millions of downloads through word of mouth alone and could end up making a hell of a lot of money off any advertising space they may own. Plus its very hard to proove that they have not done what they said they have.

Unfortunately, I find that, particularly with computers and the internet, if it sounds too good to be true, it very often is.

x

mban912l.jpg

x

Edit: I'd give the old one a bash through this link Your Uninstaller 2008 - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

Its 2008, but just means its more likely to have more bugs ironed out and also, i 100% trust Free Software Downloads and Reviews - Download.com

nice one man thanks, better to be safe than sorry ive always found, especially with computers.

• 3 weeks later...