aberdeen-music

Nfl

Nev

Harbaugh off to Michigan.  49 wins in his time with us.  Apt and best in decades.

Hope we don't have to totally restart we should be a fairly attractive prospect to top coaches.  2 all pro MLB coming back next season with 2 impressive rookie LBs as well (Lynch and Borland), Aldon Smith with a full season, Justin Smith has at least one more good season in him.  Kaep still has bags of potential but the coach calling the plays really needs to take advantage of his legs and not try to make him a pocket passer.  We have to re sign Frank Gore as well.

The calls kinda evened out in the end no? Zona's practice squad were lol bad. They were never gonna win that.

There were bad calls but those ones lead to the point swing.  If they weren't down 13 don't think the Arizona defence would have to play so risky like they did.  They knew they had to carry that team.  Their special teams was horrible as well.

Still think they would have lost but those calls really cost them, where as the ones on the Panthers were like bad holding calls when they are up by like two plus scores.

Through a mixture of domestic duties and poor time-keeping I managed to miss every game this weekend except the zona v panthers one. So pissed.

I'm a Colts fan in the playoffs. Luck's throwing arm looks reeeeallll nice right now.

I've read (on /r/nfl as always) that the leading passer has never won a super bowl (which almost makes sense because a winning team will split plays more evenly with the run game). Interesting stat.

Predictions... Pats, Seahawks, Colts, Packers

Flacco being so succesfull/experienced in the post season could be a huge factor. T Suggs having such a major bee in his bonnet when it comes to Tom Brady too. He loves sacking that guy.

That aside, I just can't see how they're gonna handle the Brady/Gronk combination. That and the best corner (imo) in the game in Darrelle Revis. I think he's been somewhat underrated this season but he's just such a specimen he effectively nullifies any passing threat on the left side.

We don't have anyone that can confidently cover Gronk, I reckon the defensive game plan will be to cut the Pats off at source and jam Brady before he can get the ball away.

On offence we'll alternate between Forsett and Pierce picking up short gains and bombing 60 yard passes to the Smiths looking for PI calls.

Regis is the best corner in the league by far - I'm a lot more worried about him than Brady.

The guy has been to three hundred Super Bowls, sometimes with teams around him made of guys who wouldn't necessarily be considered top drawer talent! Flacco has had one season with a winning record in the playoffs, other than the Super Bowl win, which was his first. The rest he's won one game and then lost at best. A Super Bowl win pads out the post season stats. Without including those, Brady is 9-8 in the playoffs and Flacco is 6-4. With them, Brady is 18-8 by my count.

Interesting debate and in the next couple of years, Brady will fade away as Manning has started to do towards the end of this season and Flacco and Rogers, etc will likely be the guys that are talked about in their category, but Brady holds the record for playoff appearances by a QB and that's not to be sniffed at.

I'm not saying Brady isn't good, just that it's been a wee while since he was THAT good.

I thought this was interesting:

Of the 12 playoff games that Brady has played in since 2008 they've been bookies favourites in 11 of them with an average spread of 8.5 points, basically given an 80% chance of winning - they've only covered that spread 3 times.

The Ravens have been underdogs in 10 of the 14 games they've played with an average spread of 3 points - and they've beaten the spread 11 times.

There's a big difference between perception and reality, and the perception of the Patriots is skewed by success that's 10 years old.

After all this chat we're gonna get blown out in the 1st quarter :(

I've only got them down as having played 9 playoff games since '08? With a 4-5 record including the lost Super Bowl. Pats have scored an average of 25.9ppg and the Ravens have played 14 and scored an average of 24.1ppg. Brady has thrown an average of 1.89 TDs per game, compared to Flacco's 1.5 (I appreciate that there's more to playing QB than throwing TDs). Brady has been trusted to throw the ball 39.44 times per game, compared to Flacco's 28.7. Does that say that Brady has had less support from the run game or that Belichick has trusted him more than Flacco has been trusted? Does it say that Flacco has been more effective in terms of TDs per pass than Brady? Obviously there are differences in the styles of teams they play for, the guys they have around them (if your OL can't pass protect but can steamroller people, then you're gonna run the rock rather than get the QB killed) so it's never as easy as 'this guy is better than this guy'.

The significant difference over that stretch, to my mind, is the defenses that they've had suporting them. Pats defense have shipped an average of 24ppg in those playoff encounters, compared to the Ravens 18.2ppg! That's a pretty significant difference and, I believe is the reason that the Ravens have had the edge. I don't believe it's been down to Flacco, but equally it's not that I don't think he's good.

This year is very interesting and should make for a great game. I can't wait either way!

• Upvote 1

Didn't check the sources to be fair - it may be that it includes the 07 season playoffs? That would take it to 12 games.

Was just interesting to me that the Bookies got the Pats odds so wrong.

I think it'll be a cracking game, this one usually is. Revis V the Smiths and Suggs V Brady - we're going to demolish the Pats o-line (2nd in sacks v 29th in pass-blocking = ouch) but Brady and Gronk........

All 4 games have potential to be excellent.

Ravens, Seahawks, Broncos, Packers to go through - Panthers shock of the round if they can control Wilson and Lynch.

Edited by colb

Bronco's/Colt's I reckon will be the best match up of this weekend.

Still don't think I'm on the Flacco hype train.  Every time I've seen him do well in the playoffs it's been largely off the back of a great defence...

This years one isn't quite as good so if he beats this Pats team then i'll be much more sold on him.  Remember last year they were beating on Steelers without the running back who's been a total star this season.  Probably only behind Demarco Murray in terms of RBs this season.

Bronco's/Colt's I reckon will be the best match up of this weekend.

Still don't think I'm on the Flacco hype train. Every time I've seen him do well in the playoffs it's been largely off the back of a great defence...

This years one isn't quite as good so if he beats this Pats team then i'll be much more sold on him. Remember last year they were beating on Steelers without the running back who's been a total star this season. Probably only behind Demarco Murray in terms of RBs this season.

Forsett? Was signed as cover for Rice and Pierce - he's been a pleasant surprise. Doubled his career yards in one season. Edited by colb

Forsett? Was signed as cover for Rice and Pierce - he's been a pleasant surprise. Doubled his career yards in one season.

I think I confused everything with that wrong word I meant the game last week.

You beat Pitt without Bell, who'd rushed for 1350 this season.

I need to see Flacco really win games (like where he carries the team is what I was trying to say in my last post).

Beat the Pats in Foxbrough and  he's on his way to doing that.

I just can't help but feel he's always just done his job behind good defences.

Yeah - that makes more sense. Although Forsett's not far off 1350 either, got better yards per carry than Bell too....

Flacco is steady and doesn't panic, I don't think he's especially skilled at reading defences but he's accurate and he builds decent understanding with his receivers. There's no other QB in the league I'd rather have at the moment.

Defence has always carried the Ravens, never been a massive threat offensively. I like that though, it's my favourite part of the game.