aberdeen-music

Where To Find Aberdeen Flats To Rent?

Woolies

So I'm looking to rent a flat in Aberdeen (not a room or flatshare btw) - Where's best to look?

Student only places are no use (for me but others might benefit so post them anyway!

So far I've got the most obv websites (ASPC, s1homes, gumtree) and I'll check the Evening Express / P&J when I can.

But any tips on others or newsagents windows or the like to try?

I can spend a couple days a week in Aberdeen trying to sort somewhere out.

Also does anyone have any other advice? Landlords or agents to avoid? Areas that won't take kindly to folk fae foreign parts? Or even anyone with any good recommendations of brilliant cheap places & nice landlords?!!

Avoid APL/Primelet (same firm) like your life depended on it.

Have a search here to find a more recent thread about why.

In the last year, II've had dealings with a firm called Morna Petrano (or similar) & whilst they at least know the law, I was not impressed by their penny-pinching handling of a fairly straightforward neighbour problem.

• Upvote 1

In the last year, II've had dealings with a firm called Morna Petrano (or similar) & whilst they at least know the law, I was not impressed by their penny-pinching handling of a fairly straightforward neighbour problem.

i've not dealt with morna through business but i've met her and she's ace. really happy positive person. :)

I've heard poor things about Peterkins! Particularly to do with the return of deposits.

I say steer clear of companies who want to take a huge admin fee such as 100+ especially when it's a deposit plus one months rent up front.

My last landlord was based in the Galleria Shoping Centre on Bon Accord St. They don't always have flats available. But worth nipping in to ask. I had no hassle with them as landlords and the flats upstairs in the Galleria are pretty nice.

Good luck!!

• Upvote 1

cheers one and all :up:

thanks for that, I'll nt waste time considering anything they offer!
i've not dealt with morna through business but i've met her and she's ace. really happy positive person. :)
I may accept friendly faced penny-pinching more readily than others ;)
I've heard poor things about Peterkins! Particularly to do with the return of deposits.
Hah. Peterkins are my solicitors dealing in other matters in Aberdeen so it might be best to not get involved with their property side as well!
I say steer clear of companies who want to take a huge admin fee such as 100+ especially when it's a deposit plus one months rent up front.
this is my fear and why I'd much prefer a private landlord but without recommedation from other tennants finding the good ones is tricky :S

Am I not right in thinking that estate agents are merely middlemen between landlords and prospective tennants? Or maybe they invest aswell?

Yeah, that's what I've got just now in Glasgow. The letting company deals with everything on behalf of the landlord.

So that includes, inventory and returning of deposit. Which Peterkins did pretty appalingly for my friends... who only got 45 each from a 225 deposit. Which included replacing a fridge that was already disgusting... but when they would ask for things to be sorted they got no where. I guess it just depends on how fussy the landlord and/or letting company is for giving their tenants a comfortable home and how persistent the tenants are!

Make a note of the conidtion of things when you arrive, then argue like a bastard if you're truly being cheated at the end of it all.

Or actually make sure the inventory is correct and demand it's changed if it's not.

Renting property is a bit hit or miss really. But I have a feeling I'll be renting for a while longer.

Agreed. They are absolute slags for a plethora of reasons.

Your best bet is to pick up a Property register from any bank or Estate Agents, they list pretty much all the available properties in order of price so you can find your budget range pretty easily and get on the dog and bone.

Read a paper.
from my first post in the thread, added emphasis to aid reading comprehension:
So far I've got the most obv websites (ASPC, s1homes, gumtree) and I'll check the Evening Express / P&J when I can.

But any tips on others or newsagents windows or the like to try?

I can spend a couple days a week in Aberdeen trying to sort somewhere out.

So aye, reading a paper had occured to me but

- is there any particular days the EE/P&J run flats to rent adverts?

- are any of the free papers worth trying to source for flats when I visit?

Strangers to a city often find it difficult to find that "secret" really good newsagent that has flat ads in their window so any hints for that would also be much appreciated!

Ta for any help though :)

from my first post in the thread, added emphasis to aid reading comprehension:So aye, reading a paper had occured to me but

- is there any particular days the EE/P&J run flats to rent adverts?

- are any of the free papers worth trying to source for flats when I visit?

Strangers to a city often find it difficult to find that "secret" really good newsagent that has flat ads in their window so any hints for that would also be much appreciated!

Ta for any help though :)

Wednesdays ring a bell for some reason. And i was quoting that post as its papers that generally have the private lets in them. I haven't seen a flat let in shop window in ages :p

• Upvote 1

Wednesdays ring a bell for some reason. And i was quoting that post as its papers that generally have the private lets in them. I haven't seen a flat let in shop window in ages :p
It'll be midweek I can visit most often so Wednesdays is good news, cheers :D

Maybe the shop window ads have died out in the deen...

I keep checking the shop on Byres Rd but for some reason they're all Glasgow flats~! X)

It'll be midweek I can visit most often so Wednesdays is good news, cheers :D

Maybe the shop window ads have died out in the deen...

I keep checking the shop on Byres Rd but for some reason they're all Glasgow flats~! X)

I'll keep a look out and let you know if it's another day, so don't hold me on the Wednesday thing. Others may be able to confirm or disprove that :)

cheers people, I'm getting the impression that there isn't any such thing as direct renting from private landlords in Aberdeen?

A lot of people don't do direct renting but some people go through an agency/solicitor initially to sort out all the legal shenanigans and benefit from their advertising power and customer base then manage the property themselves. That's what I've done, now the tenants are in and the lease and inventory are sorted I don't see the need to have a middleman getting money for (practically) nothing.

• Upvote 1

I'd avoid Aberdein Considine if I were you, deposit munching bastards. They charged me for gardening costs - they checked the property two weeks after I moved out in the middle of summer, of course the grass is gonna be long.

Not sure whether Scot-Ads would have much to offer, might be worth a look. It's worth applying to the council - low rent and (sometimes) big flats.

It's a friday for the EE for the property pull out, not sure about the P&J though
Thank You :D

I think they carry pretty much the same ads tbh - one paper I did manage to check the other week had three leased properties. Might have to just trust to the ASPC web site searches to pick up new stuff as it comes available.

I'd avoid Aberdein Considine if I were you, deposit munching bastards. They charged me for gardening costs - they checked the property two weeks after I moved out in the middle of summer, of course the grass is gonna be long.
hah. Sounds like a good scam that - "retaining 50 of your deposit for a cleaning company because you haven't dusted once since moving out." ;)
Not sure whether Scot-Ads would have much to offer, might be worth a look. It's worth applying to the council - low rent and (sometimes) big flats.
I reckon I'd be lucky to get more than two council housing points at all even if I was sleeping on the beach! By the time a house was available for me in the current economic climate my change jar could probably buy a flat...

I reckon I'd be lucky to get more than two council housing points at all even if I was sleeping on the beach! By the time a house was available for me in the current economic climate my change jar could probably buy a flat...

I dunno, it's a bit of a lottery. I got a good offer after 4-5 weeks at the end of 2007. I don't have a crazy medical points score, they just thought I'd fit in the block. Worth a try, for me anyhow.