aberdeen-music

Cash-In-Hand

Adam Easy Wishes

What kind of jobs would pay cash-in-hand for weekend work? I have a good job, but some extra income for a few hours over a weekend would definitely help in the run-up to Christmas, and I don't want to get taxed to buggery (25% on a second job so I'm led to believe).

Anyone got any suggestions? (Or does anyone want to offer me a job?) I will not consider 'rent boy'.

The tax rate for a second job is just the same as a first job - ie, 20% from 5k ish up to around 35kish (not sure of the exact figure...) along with the national insurance contributions.

Free UK PAYE Income Tax Calculator 2008. Updated for 2008 / 2009 budget and September changes to allowance rates. is a brilliant tax calculator for this.

Really? I always thought that in taking on a second job, you get totally raped by the tax man on the earnings from it...

Dirty up your face, get a mangy dog and sit under a blanket on Union Street. You'll rake it in!

Actually it's very difficult to find a cash in hand job these days because employers can get fucked if you have an accident and you're not on the books. You might find a bar somewhere that would do it, that's about the only place I can think of. Or a delivery job, like for a Chinese or something will probably pay cash in hand if you have your own car. Wok Wok on Crown Street have a poster on their window looking for drivers, might be worth giving them a call.

Really? I always thought that in taking on a second job, you get totally raped by the tax man on the earnings from it...

What tends to happen is that you get stuck on the BR tax code as the new employer won't chase up the taxman to issue the right tax code - so the tax paid is all messed up. If you do get a job that's on the books, make sure the code is right :)

Are you looking for evenings or weekends? Frankensteins on Union Street are looking for part time kitchen staff, or there's always Zavvi or HMV for weekends, I worked in Virgin for a year and loved it, I'd go back and work there in a second.

The AU Student Union (on littlejohn street, another of my old work places) is advertising in their window for P/T bar staff at 7 an hour, which is good money for bar work. However there is also a rather large "For Sale" sign looming above it so it might not last....

It can exceptionally play merry hell with your tax codes initially but you get that back when things are sorted. Otherwise, it will not affect you unless it puts your total earnings into a higher band.

TBH, very few employers are likely to offer you cash in hand work these days & the ones that might tend to be right shady operators. Avoid.

The legit evening/weekend job is probably the better idea.

What kind of jobs would pay cash-in-hand for weekend work? I have a good job, but some extra income for a few hours over a weekend would definitely help in the run-up to Christmas, and I don't want to get taxed to buggery (25% on a second job so I'm led to believe).

Anyone got any suggestions? (Or does anyone want to offer me a job?) I will not consider 'rent boy'.

Why are you so quick to rule out rent boy?

The only chance of a cash-in-hand job these days is in babysitting for someone or doing a spot of gardening.

Other than that, who else pays cash-in-hand? (without going through the taxman... obviously some jobs pay cash. )

My digging has found that there are a handful of bars and clubs in town that pay cash-in-hand. However, the only reason for it would've been to stop getting over-taxed rather than stopping paying tax at all. Now I know my tax won't change as long as I make sure my tax code is correct.

all shops are pretty crazy at christmas but hmv is crazier than most. easiest and most enjoyable job i've had was at game. decent discount and pretty straightforward job but boxing day is mental.

the handy thing about hmv though is that you can get all your presents there and get discount of em. you'll have to work for it though.

The tax rate for a second job is just the same as a first job - ie, 20% from 5k ish up to around 35kish (not sure of the exact figure...) along with the national insurance contributions.

Free UK PAYE Income Tax Calculator 2008. Updated for 2008 / 2009 budget and September changes to allowance rates. is a brilliant tax calculator for this.

But i'm sure he is asking about cash in hand to avoid paying tax.....which probably isn't the best thing to ask about on a public forum in the first place....

But i'm sure he is asking about cash in hand to avoid paying tax.....which probably isn't the best thing to ask about on a public forum in the first place....

Well, if you read the whole thread properly you'd be wrong.

Like I said before - I'm not looking to dodge paying tax, simply make sure I'm not over-taxed.