aberdeen-music

Personality test

Balvack

"Musical tastes and personality type are closely related, according to a study of more than 36,000 people from around the world." There's not much difference between classical and metal fans apparently. More info here

You can participate by completing this questionnaire

report about this & the Prof from Heriot Watt just been on BBC Radio Scotland

36,000 surveys completed in ONE day is impressive

it's a survey built on preconceptions(as most surveys are i guess). the fact that they don't include folk is pretty shocking particularly for a music survey originating from scotland. i don't understand what 'gothic metal' is either.

questions like " A: I prefer the "down to earth" kinds of people as friends. B: I would like to make friends in some of the "far-out" groups like artists or "punks."" are really stupid. most artists and punks i know are the most down to earth folk in aberdeen.

i didn't understand the body odour one either, i sometimes don't mind the smell of my own farts but not sure that counts as liking earthy smells. i also didn't like the focus on heights as a dangerous activity without asking about irrational fears. i'm all for doing exciting things but i'm not jumping out of a plane under any circumstances.

i hate questionairres like this where there's only two options as well. not everything is black and white though i understand that it makes it easier to analyse results and put them into brackets when you only have two options.

It gave BBC breakfast a good excuse to stand outside the proms and a gig and patronise classical and metal fans this morning.

This isn't the first time that I've seen research come out saying there are similiarities between listening to classical and metal. I remember a study a few years ago on listening to music while driving and it said classical music could aid concentration while driving and metal had the same effect. Mostly due to the complex nature of the music with time changes, complex phrases etc.

it's a survey built on preconceptions(as most surveys are i guess). the fact that they don't include folk is pretty shocking particularly for a music survey originating from scotland. i don't understand what 'gothic metal' is either.

questions like " A: I prefer the "down to earth" kinds of people as friends. B: I would like to make friends in some of the "far-out" groups like artists or "punks."" are really stupid. most artists and punks i know are the most down to earth folk in aberdeen.

i didn't understand the body odour one either, i sometimes don't mind the smell of my own farts but not sure that counts as liking earthy smells. i also didn't like the focus on heights as a dangerous activity without asking about irrational fears. i'm all for doing exciting things but i'm not jumping out of a plane under any circumstances.

What?! I didn't any of those questions? Have I done the wrong test or something? Mine was all about family relationships and such.

What?! I didn't any of those questions? Have I done the wrong test or something? Mine was all about family relationships and such.

I didn't get those questions either. Mine asked me about my mother, father and my friends and whether I share my musical preference with them etc. That was a pretty rubbish survey!

I didn't get those questions easy. Mine asked me about my mother, father and my friends and whether I share my musical preference with them etc. That was a pretty rubbish survey!

yea i got those too then there was a whole section about your own personality and giving you a or b answers to choose from.

It's great that we've got our own f*cking Onion, isn't it???

I nearly choked on my mini cheddars, reading that!

It's superb. The Rockall Times was a good attempt but not up to scratch, Daily Mash is much closer to the quality of the Onion.

This was my favourite Daily Mash story of the last few weeks:

SARKOZY GETTING IT TONIGHT - The Daily Mash

I didn't get those questions easy. Mine asked me about my mother, father and my friends and whether I share my musical preference with them etc. That was a pretty rubbish survey!

I got the same one as you....almost gave up half way through.

I was expecting results at the end as well.

If i had known there wasn't a pay off at the end i wouldn't have bothered.

I think you did the wrong test, looking at the two the one for people under 23 doesn't have nearly as much questions as the one for older people.

It's superb. The Rockall Times was a good attempt but not up to scratch, Daily Mash is much closer to the quality of the Onion.

This was my favourite Daily Mash story of the last few weeks:

SARKOZY GETTING IT TONIGHT - The Daily Mash

That was ace! He really can't stop smiling...

Anyway, back to the topic. Where is the amusing embedded code I can put on my blog/forum/myspace? I just wasted my employer's valuable time on this!

And why is there a distinction between hard rock and classic rock, but no drum and bass??? I suppose I get pigeonholed with the ghey glostick E-tards, is it???

Fine.