aberdeen-music

Shitty guitarist needing help!

Kaizen

You're a bit vague, min.

Practice more?

Buy learner guitar book and use that to learn the basics then get better by doing lots of my first suggestion?

Jam with pals and improve that way?

Find tabs online of your favourite bands and learn songs that you really like so you'll want to practice till you can do it perfectly?

Or get lessons.

It depends on what stage your at. If you've just started playing and want to progress on your own get some guitar books from Bruce Millers and start going through it step by step. You could on the other hand invest in some lessons from a guitar tutor, not exactly sure wheres best though, maybe Bruce Millers again or that place above what used to be Beans (now Cafe nero). Failing that trawl through Guitar tabs from ULTIMATE GUITAR TABS ARCHIVE | 300,000+ Guitar Tabs, Bass Tabs, Chords and Guitar Pro Tabs! and just try playing some difficult tunes. Also going along to open mic nights is a good way to improve on your playing, just watching other guitarists and asking questions generally helps you improve. Hope thats of some use.

You're a bit vague, min.

Practice more?

Buy learner guitar book and use that to learn the basics then get better by doing lots of my first suggestion?

Jam with pals and improve that way?

Find tabs online of your favourite bands and learn songs that you really like so you'll want to practice till you can do it perfectly?

Or get lessons.

Damn my infernally slow typing.

Come on, please tell me we can be more helpful than this?

Thing is, anyone remotely interested in the subject can work it out for themselves. It's really that simple, particularly for a 17 / 18 year old. I don't see the point in patronising anyone with replies like 'practice more', but I suppose he did ask for it...

Practice more

Seek like minded people

Learn what your favourite artists do

Get lessons

Have fun (probably the most important one from which the others stem)

Cheers for the suggestions. Iv pretty much just been using ultimate-guitar.com and stuff so far, plus a few wee lesson articles and youtubes here and there. I think getting involved with a band would probably be the best thing for me as it would give me that little bit more motivation. Its just hard to get involved with bands at this age when your not very good! haha! (was much easier at 14 when everyone was useless...)

To be honest, if you think yourself 'shitty' 'useless' and 'pish' after three or four years of playing, it might be time to think about a new hobby.

not really, i still think i'm shitty and pish at guitar and i've been playing for 10 years and i've played in bands who were actually liked by some people! :D

so long as it's fun it's all good.

Yo min, fuck guitar, play drums, it's much easier, and all the girls fancy you, and randoms buy you drinks a ower the shop, cheers Biz .

i have not had a single girl fancy me at a gig, maybe im pish at drums..

im kind of a frustrated guitarist, i guess the best advice is to keep playing, and practicing exercises over and over again, unfortunately its the only way to become really good, if you keep it up, soon you'll be tuning by ear and figuring out songs in no time

Personally I think joining a band is the best thing you can do to improve, first of all you will most likely need to work out new stuff to play with them, even if they are like minded. Secondly, getting experience of playing live is very useful, you can practice all you want but it all goes out the window once you're up on stage.

• Upvote 1

I'd say total guitar and tab books help... they exclusively taught me how to play guitar. Although I think the most important factor is GENUINE enjoyment from practising and just being able to play the guitar at all. If you want to be a great guitar player you have to put the work in...

Metallica, Megadeth and Pantera guitar books were my building blocks though :)

Just cover up your mistakes with loads of distortion. It'll be fine.

And unlike every other 13 year old who has nagged his mum and dad to buy him a BC Rich shaped like a lightning bolt or some crap, leave sweep picking until you can actually string together a decent riff.

Or don't sweep at all because it's toilet.

YouTube - Frank Gambale Lesson