Vocoustics: Tall Firs + Greater The Shadow + Alastair Brown @ The Tunnels

Vocoustics Presents:

Tall Firs + Greater The Shadow + Alastair Brown

Wednesday 1st October

The Tunnels (Carnegies Brae, Aberdeen AB10 1BF.) Phone 01224 211121

5 from 8pm

Tallfirs_400.jpg

TALL FIRS

Tall Firs are a 3-piece folk indie rock band from Brooklyn, NY. They feature Sonic Youth's sound engineer and At the Drive-Ins former drummer. They have been around for 18 years and deliver dark, slow, sparse electric folk.

They are back for their second trip to the UK, after touring Europe with Shellac and a brief UK tour, with an appearance at ATP, in 2007. They are back in support of their excellent new album "Too Old to Die Young" which is their second release on Thurston Moore Imprint Ecstatic Peace.

The Wire reports TOTDY "shifts gear with an easy grace from intertwining guitar drifts to more gnarled, backwoods riffage that nods to Crazy Horse and CCR." Uncut lauds this guitar "rumble and flicker" atop the "Keith Moon-style perpetual drum solo."

More Press:

[E]lements of Too Old to Die Younghavebeen used before byNew York bands from Patti Smith to Television to Talking Heads, but the way Tall Firs blend them results in something lusher than any of the others could muster" - NME

"If your idea of staying warm on a winter night is a bottle of bourbon and a bleak memory, Tall Firs will make excellent company." Rolling Stone

"a muscularity that recalls Neil Young in one of his more ornery moods, or a beefed-up Galaxie 500." The Guardian (Live Review)

"Tall Firs are brimming with an earnest beauty...most notably on the sublime 'Go Whiskey' where the guitar sounds as though it was recorded in another, more stately century. A tiny treat." Q

Tall Firs

MySpace.com - Tall Firs - BROOKLYN, New York - www.myspace.com/tallfirs

Greater The Shadow

MySpace.com - Greater The Shadow (new music up, for yr ears) - aberdeen(shire), UK - Rock / Ambient / Other - www.myspace.com/greatertheshadowmakemusic

ALASTAIR BROWN

MySpace.com - Alastair Brown - London, UK - Acoustic / Folk / Americana - www.myspace.com/alastairbrown

www.vocoustics.com

www.myspace.com/ vocoustics

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I was going to go purely for Copy Haho. Then on hearing them cancel their plans, I followed suit, only to change my mind once more because I think Greater the Shadow are pretty good.:up:

Tall Firs are reason enough for coming down :up:

'Hairdo' and 'So messed up' are great songs.

Sorry that we had to cancel! Well gutted that I won't be able to see Tall Firs. If anyone was wanting to see us play, we're playing with Hot Club de Paris at Cafe Drummond on October...20th? I think.

Hope the show goes wellll!!!!!

Thanks, I should be down on 20th....... altho Oct/Nov is looking mental for some great gigs.

for anyone who is interested:

due to the absence of a band member, this gig will feature a special "stripped down" performance from greater the shadow, reworking and reinterpereting their material with more emphasis on the quieter, ambient sections.

this gig will also feature a set from tall firs!!, which should be enough reason in itself for anyone to attend, because they are a fantastic band. i don't believe have played up here before and i wouldn't have expected to see in scotland outside the central belt.

i'm excited!

bump for wed night

some words on the live set from TF's blog for the tour.....

Tall Firs have pioneered 'checked-baggage rock' and it is amazing to see a whole band lash guitar cases together and expertly repack their gear at the airport to avoid baggage fees. It's an apt analogy for the Tall Firs live experience: Three fellas up there with miniature amplifiers and a distinctive lack of guitar pedals, playing your mom's kit if it's already onstage and no hassle.

Yet the Firs rule a living room or a 2000 seat theatre, college-campus shed or dive bar. Tall Firs are the canned expanding foam of rock bands: Once you pop that bitch open, they precisely fill any given space with a lather of creamy dual savant guitar and lead drumming, plus the trademark world-weary vocal stylings and wiseacre goofing. You are invited aboard.

Guest idol_wild

Aye min. I was intending to attend the first quarter of the Lost & Found night at The Music Club and maybe skip Alastair Brown, but I think I have changed my mind.

Looking forward to seeing a slightly less noisy Greater the Shadow too.