aberdeen-music

Regional Accents

Guest treader.

Guest treader.

What's going on with HORRIFICALLY broad accents in music now? Especially glaswegian. I mean, all the bands I'm about to mention I listen to and quite like, but I just cant really get my head around the strong strong accent.

Glasvegas

Twilight Sad

Frightened Rabbit (admittedly, not quite as strong)

Twin Atlantic

even The X-Certs which seems weird because they're not a central belt band!

Is it genuine or is it, as I suspect, a pathetic effort to cash in ala their english counterparts

Kate Nash etc

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest idol_wild

I'm with you on this. It's becoming tiresome and, well, a bit irksome. I frequently attend gigs in Glasgow and almost every local unsigned band deliver the vocals in the same accentuated accent.

It's sickening. It's so 2007.

Guest treader.

Well yeah, everyone not sounding american is quite nice i suppose...but, it's getting ridiculous.

Twin Atlantic's cover of Girls just want to have fun is pretty much unlistenable due to the "GIRRULZ" yelped at the end of each chorus.

but as i say, i can listen to and enjoy all these bands musically.

Guest idol_wild
The Twilight Sad and Frightened Rabbit accents make me cringe mega.

It's definitely forced.

(I do think, though, it's sometimes easier to sing in a strong accent. Anyone agree?)

I think it's a natural singing voice and accent in Frightened Rabbit's case, but with The Twilight Sad I do agree it seems a little forced or over accentuated.

What's going on with HORRIFICALLY broad accents in music now? Especially glaswegian. I mean, all the bands I'm about to mention I listen to and quite like, but I just cant really get my head around the strong strong accent.

Glasvegas

Twilight Sad

Frightened Rabbit (admittedly, not quite as strong)

Twin Atlantic

even The X-Certs which seems weird because they're not a central belt band!

Is it genuine or is it, as I suspect, a pathetic effort to cash in ala their english counterparts

Kate Nash etc

It's so strange, i was just speaking about this last night with my mate.

Yeah, Glasvagas are sickening. Their accent is so forced its incoherent. Their music is shite and their scummy weegie accent just adds to my immense hatred for that band.

And I like Twin Atlantic, but on a couple of tracks "Audience and Audio" and "Girls" the accent is stupidly forced.

Im pretty sure Kate Nash sings how she speaks by the way. Seen her interviewed a few times, and she does have a naturally really cockney speaking voice.

Guest Neutral

I think regional accents add a bit of something else. However, Im not a fan of the Glasweigan accent it sounds like someone who is scratching nails on a blackboard.

I'd like to hear a Lewis accent or maybe a few songs in the industrial techno style sung in a broad doric accent or maybe even reggae in an Inverness accent

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I''d rather bands sang in an exaggerated version of their own accent than revert to an accent that isn't their own in any way.

Same here, nothing worse than faking it. Anyway, Finnish punk bands sound ten times better for singing in their own language, it's almost tailor-made for that type of music.

Va-paa Po-yola! (Free North)

:up:

I'd like to hear a Lewis accent or maybe a few songs in the industrial techno style sung in a broad doric accent or maybe even reggae in an Inverness accent

I can't remember where Roddy Woomble's from, but he has a nice sort of highland lilt in his voice when he sings. For me that works well.

I haven't really thought about it but I probably have a bit of an American thing going on when I sing. The only American style singing that bugs me is people copying that whiny, West Coast "pop punk" style, you know who you are. ;)

Im pretty sure Kate Nash sings how she speaks by the way. Seen her interviewed a few times, and she does have a naturally really cockney speaking voice.

I saw her on daytime TV a while back and she was quite well spoken, certainly nothing like her singing voice.

Much as I like Twilight Sad, my first thought on hearing them was Shoegazing Proclaimers.

What hell counts as regular!?

We almost certainly need more people like Spit Dis: YouTube - Spit Dis - Morgue City

Edit: wait there's more http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHhSFlucWrw&feature=related

Guest treader.

i ALWAYS think you mean the german folk punk band when you say meursault. but you don't. and also, the german folk band...dont sound german which is cool.