aberdeen-music

Exile Studios CD

Ollie

so no download link then?

i read on one of the band's who's on it's myspace that it would be from the end of may??

any info? cheers!

If you have a look on the jukebox you'll see the albums there, just waiting for the files to be linked to the player, and that should happen any day now.

he does produce as well tho, if you cant tell that after having worked with him then you obvioulsy dont know what it means. As for being under rehearsed, thats a fair point, you may be paying him to record but if you sound like shit then it looks bad on him, the old saying goes "you cant polish a shit" and i guess this stood for you guys. Why bother paying money to record if you dont really know what your doing?

We didn't ask/pay him to produce. we wanted him to record us as we were. we were fine with that. If he didn't want to record us because we'd make him look bad then he shouldn't have accepted our money.

As for polishing shits, I reckon you've tried it many a time.

Cheers.

We didn't ask/pay him to produce. we wanted him to record us as we were. we were fine with that. If he didn't want to record us because we'd make him look bad then he shouldn't have accepted our money.

As for polishing shits, I reckon you've tried it many a time.

Cheers.

Thats not the point though is it? The point is, if you wanted something that would stand the test of time, you should have prepared yourselves properly by rehearsing and making sure you were tight. If I said the band were under-rehearsed, it must have been fairly shambolic. When somebody listens to a song thats badly played, they dont think ' the producer made a bad job of that', they think 'this band are shit'.

I wouldnt have even made an attempt at 'producing' your band if you were under-rehearsed and couldnt hold it together.

As for stayover, I think Bob was a fairly prolific writer, and the band were well rehearsed. I recently remixed one of the tracks becasue I know a lot more now than I did when I recorded it, and I was never happy with any of the mixes of those recordings. They're great songs, and deserved a better mix.

we weren't so much under rehearsed as just sloppy, but the on purpose kind of sloppy. like the stooges who you compared us to in the pub afterwards.

to be fair it was before wed even plugged in when we were just chatting that you assumed we were under rehearsed.

I've been a bit over zealous with my mild rant about you earlier. we were happy enough with the end result at the time and your 'burger king' attitude did cease towards the end of the day. Maybe just one of those days.

p.s. I didn't say anything about stayovers tunes. I've never even heard them.

we weren't so much under rehearsed as just sloppy, but the on purpose kind of sloppy. like the stooges who you compared us to in the pub afterwards.

to be fair it was before wed even plugged in when we were just chatting that you assumed we were under rehearsed.

I've been a bit over zealous with my mild rant about you earlier. we were happy enough with the end result at the time and your 'burger king' attitude did cease towards the end of the day. Maybe just one of those days.

What was the name of your band? Milner was in Stayover. How could I have assumed you were under rehearsed? Whats a burger king attitude. You are confusing me. Also, the stooges were NOT sloppy! They were tight as fuck.

The Band From U.N.C.L.E. This was at least 4 years ago. fuck knows. We were chatting away getting setup and you asked if we were practised enough and we said we usually practise once a week but we hadn't had a chance in about a month and then you said 'so your not tight then' and seemed to get a bit huffy as if you were thinking fuck sake under rehearsed cunts wasting my time ( maybe you always seem like that. I don't know). then you seemed to be paying more attention to your burger king than us for a bit (perhaps you were just hungry, we all are sometimes). but, like I said, it ended up fine in the end so I apologise for my rant earlier but first impressions do count. Especially in your line of work.

The Stooges did have a certain slop about them I reckon.

so in other words your band was/is shit (i dont really care either way) and you try to pawn it off as being intentially sloppy? There are no bands who are "sloppy" intentionally just bands who say that because they cant be bothered to practise enough or they are just not good enough no matter what they do.

As for me polishing shits, your right i have done, but we were never underrehearsed before we recorded in all three bands ive been in, we could always play our songs without needing to hear each other, we always kind of knew what we were doing so those shits usually turned out nice and shinny.

The Band From U.N.C.L.E. This was at least 4 years ago. fuck knows. We were chatting away getting setup and you asked if we were practised enough and we said we usually practise once a week but we hadn't had a chance in about a month and then you said 'so your not tight then' and seemed to get a bit huffy as if you were thinking fuck sake under rehearsed cunts wasting my time ( maybe you always seem like that. I don't know). then you seemed to be paying more attention to your burger king than us for a bit (perhaps you were just hungry, we all are sometimes). but, like I said, it ended up fine in the end so I apologise for my rant earlier but first impressions do count. Especially in your line of work.

The Stooges did have a certain slop about them I reckon.

Was that the first or second time you came into record? You used to rehearse in the place next door and I used to hear you all the time. I doubt I would have said you were under-rehearsed when I was hearing you rehearse a few days a week?? I really liked your band, I came to see you at least twice as well. I think its totally unfair that you are saying that you ASSUMED what I was thinking!

In my job, its not first impressions that count, its the end result.

so in other words your band was/is shit (i dont really care either way) and you try to pawn it off as being intentially sloppy? There are no bands who are "sloppy" intentionally just bands who say that because they cant be bothered to practise enough or they are just not good enough no matter what they do.

As for me polishing shits, your right i have done, but we were never underrehearsed before we recorded in all three bands ive been in, we could always play our songs without needing to hear each other, we always kind of knew what we were doing so those shits usually turned out nice and shinny.

I don't really care either. Our music was supposed to be sloppy.

Was that the first or second time you came into record? You used to rehearse in the place next door and I used to hear you all the time. I doubt I would have said you were under-rehearsed when I was hearing you rehearse a few days a week?? I really liked your band, I came to see you at leat twice as well. I think its totally unfair that you are saying that you ASSUMED what I was thinking!

In my job, its not first impressions that count, its the end result.

Your right and I have apologised. Don't know what I was thinking.

Probably the second time. We never payed the first time. We also never payed a third time because we thought first impressions do count.

water under the bridge?

The compilation album will be album of the week on Original Fm's Sunday showcase this coming Sunday. Vic Galloway played just face it by the Fire and I from the CD last night.

Plenty more plays on the way up and down the country. Ill let you know who's playing what where.

Mark.

I recently remixed one of the tracks becasue I know a lot more now than I did when I recorded it, and I was never happy with any of the mixes of those recordings. T

Did you give them a refund then :love:

I would not feel atall comfortable recording anywhere if there is even the slightest possibility that the studio owner might be fucking about with my material in his off time.

Did you give them a refund then :love:

I would not feel atall comfortable recording anywhere if there is even the slightest possibility that the studio owner might be fucking about with my material in his off time.

As long as he tells you he's done it. I know that when I finally could afford the Waves platinum suite, I put every single thing I had ever recorded through it then sent the new masters to the respective owners free of charge.

There's nothing wrong with re-doing stuff with better quality equipment to get a higher quality end result. As long as you don't mess with the original artistic intentions of the composers.

As long as he tells you he's done it. I know that when I finally could afford the Waves platinum suite, I put every single thing I had ever recorded through it then sent the new masters to the respective owners free of charge.

There's nothing wrong with re-doing stuff with better quality equipment to get a higher quality end result. As long as you don't mess with the original artistic intentions of the composers.

If I think I can better something, I do it, then send it to the band. As I said earlier in this thread, I put everything I have into what I do, and if I think something can be improved, then I'll do it, at no extra cost to the band.

Some of the comments regarding this have been ridiculous, and not from anyone Ive done it for.

Also, I rarely do it, why would I spend time constantly re-mixing tracks when I have current projects to be working on?

For everyones information, this is the way I work - Ill agree the time and price that we'll work on the recording, then do the recordings over the agreed time. I'll give the band monitor mixes of the work we've done to listen to, then Ill mix the tracks. I'll then put the tracks online for the band to download and instruct any changes to the mixes, I'll then make the changes and upload the mixes again. I'll keep working like this untill the band are happy.

In my experience, a mix can rarely realize its full potential after a hard days recording.

Wait till you can afford the Waves SSL plugins...you'll want to redo everything with it!! They're fantastic and really give everything a punchy sound.

But shit....then when you have the cash for the Waves API plugs you'll be remixing everything again :D They're fantastic and really give everything a warm sound.

What about reverbs? RVerb sounded great...but then IK released CSR, with one of the best emulated plate sounds...vocals can now get that crispiness you were lacking...

The plugs are just going to keep getting better as time goes on, and the software is getting more powerful, as well as the PC's, there needs to come a time when you shelf a mix and say its finished! ;):band: At least until the band want a fucking 5.1 mix....

I'd be a bit annoyed if I'd paid for the studio time, been handed the finished product then committed it to duplication only to have the mix engineer ring up a few weeks later with a "better" version.