aberdeen-music

Exile Studios CD

Ollie

I'm not that bothered I guess, no. I've more important things on. I'm mildly irritated rather than furious but I have a point.

Les, I asked Lucy and she was more than happy, its a great song, thats why I included it. I think people still listen to bands that have split up??

Youve known for a good few months that the cuts track was going to be on the CD, why did you not message me direct, rather than waiting to post on this thread??

I cant ask permission from every person in every band. That would be ridiculous.

We are doing fine but its suffered a bit recently as I'm getting married on Friday then I'm going on holiday. We will pick it up later on after I'm back and will be busy later on in the year when the EP is released. We are desperate to get our new tracks up as they are much, much better and the ones up there are very old. Its not going to be up till I come back now though.

The only thing I will say about that Valentine band is that I don't like it, its not a personal thing, I just don't like the music at all. Former Minister were great though I still have that 8 minute track on my MP3 player! Whens the reunion?

We are doing fine but its suffered a bit recently as I'm getting married on Friday then I'm going on holiday. We will pick it up later on after I'm back and will be busy later on in the year when the EP is released. We are desperate to get our new tracks up as they are much, much better and the ones up there are very old. Its not going to be up till I come back now though.

The only thing I will say about that Valentine band is that I don't like it, its not a personal thing, I just don't like the music at all. Former Minister were great though I still have that 8 minute track on my MP3 player! Whens the reunion?

haha former minister? Dunno if there will be a reunion. I wouldn't mind a copy that track if you could email it perhaps?

Ollie

Les, I asked Lucy and she was more than happy, its a great song, thats why I included it. I think people still listen to bands that have split up??

Youve known for a good few months that the cuts track was going to be on the CD, why did you not message me direct, rather than waiting to post on this thread??

I cant ask permission from every person in every band. That would be ridiculous.

Well it was going to happen I guess so there was no point crying about it and trying to stop it as I've stated above I've had other things taking my time up recently so its hardly crossed my mind! You have a point and I'm sure that you done everything with the best of intentions. Obviously me and the singer don't get on to put it mildly so asking her did not really involve me but its one of those things.

Well it was going to happen I guess so there was no point crying about it and trying to stop it as I've stated above I've had other things taking my time up recently so its hardly crossed my mind! You have a point and I'm sure that you done everything with the best of intentions. Obviously me and the singer don't get on to put it mildly so asking her did not really involve me but its one of those things.

All you needed to do was message me and I would have taken it off. There were (literally) 100s of other bands who would have been more than happy to be on it. I think it's unfair to complain because you never asked in the fist place.

Il ask Neil to make it unavailable to stream or download from here.

Well thanks for that. The thing is its been included on the album anyway so it might as well be included here now! Its all cool and since it was coming out I put the tracks on myspace for download anyway. In the first place it would have been better forgotten about but since the tracks are out there then they might as well now be out there.

Sorry if it seemed as if I was having a go etc, I never thought about asking for it being taken off and anyway I don't want to turn into Prince ('take my music down!') or something. Its happened so its i'll live with it so theres no need to cancel the download from here.

Notice Mark has posted elsewhere...

On a legal angle any recordings made and paid for in a recording studio belong to that studio and that studio can do what they like with them... It's this that has cause many problems over the years with bigger bands having some releases they didn't sanction...

This is, in my understanding of copyright law, wrong.

The APRS (Association of Professional Recording Services) standard terms and conditions state that copyright belongs to the recording studio until the bill is paid in full. Recording studios don't have permission to do anything with the recordings, they only have the right to withhold them.

In the absence of any written contract stating otherwise that is the view that, imo, would be taken in any legal dispute over ownership of recordings.

The APRS (Association of Professional Recording Services) standard terms and conditions state that copyright belongs to the recording studio until the bill is paid in full. Recording studios don't have permission to do anything with the recordings, they only have the right to withhold them.

In the absence of any written contract stating otherwise that is the view that, imo, would be taken in any legal dispute over ownership of recordings.

That would sound about right to me. I would have thought whoever paid for the recordings, owns them. The song, ALWAYS belongs to the writer, unless he signs a publishing deal with a publisher, then the publisher will collect the royalties and give the writer his agreed cut. Obviously there are many different deals with different terms and rights of ownership.

But yes, who pays for the recordings, owns them.

Ach weel... Maybe I read the wrong page of my book and didn't listen properly when I was at school. Take heed kids... May well have been told a one of case but it can get tricky though. Tom Waits 'Early Years' album I believe didn't have his blessing but were released by the label. Probably that gray area before any contracts etc were looked at and signed. Happy to be told my info is off though...:up:

It pinches that it was Soundman that corrected me. Everyone knows they know less than a drummer ;)

Ach weel... Maybe I read the wrong page of my book and didn't listen properly when I was at school. Take heed kids... May well have been told a one of case but it can get tricky though. Tom Waits 'Early Years' album I believe didn't have his blessing but were released by the label. Probably that gray area before any contracts etc were looked at and signed. Happy to be told my info is off though...:up:

It pinches that it was Soundman that corrected me. Everyone knows they know less than a drummer ;)

Its like remote control by the Clash, released by CBS without their permission. Thats why the Clash released double and triple albums, to try and fulfill then get out of the contract, but the double and triple only counted as single albums. doh!

Its like remote control by the Clash, released by CBS without their permission. Thats why the Clash released double and triple albums, to try and fulfill then get out of the contract, but the double and triple only counted as single albums. doh!

Read the small print eh...

J

Ian, Im so glad that youve corrected this. Ive lost count of the number of times that people in Aberdeen have told me that a studio owns recordings. Of course this is absolute rubbish and flies in the face of all common sense. As you point out, the law says that the ownership of the recordings and master tapes remains with the studio, until payment has been made in full. Even if payment isnt made, there are other laws in place which prevent exploitation of master tapes, such as first mechanical, which requires the song writers to give permission for the first commercial release of their works (this only applies for the first release, once in public domain, most songs can be recorded by anyone as long as the correct MCPS license is obtained and royalties paid). As I say, I dont know why so many people up here get this wrong, I can only assume that theres a lecturer at a local music college talking out of his arse ;-)

And btw, in stating the above, Im not in any way having a go at Exile. Mark does a lot for the Aberdeen music scene, and Im sure that most of the complaints on here are simply down to the age old problem of communication breakdown between band members

Authorization of tracks on Exile Compilation CD:

Alright guys, Chris here. (patternsinpavements)

Just want to let you all know that Mark did ask me for permission to use my track for this awesome compilation CD. Just to clear up any ambiguity.

Hope you're all enjoying the sounds.

Take it easy,

Chris.

Could someone post/PM me a tracklisting for this? The one that is for sale in One Up, if they are different.

According to Myspace.com Blogs - Exile Studio Compilation Album, - Exile Studio MySpace Blog -

01 Marlow - New York

02 Broken Sunshine - Break through me

03 The Sphygz - For a girl

04 Copy Haho - Cutting out the bad

05 Scunner - Morse Code

06 Free Corps - Deception Kills the Mind

07 Patterns in Pavements - I'm Tired

08 The Marionettes - 138

09 For my Next Miracle - Disco-the-que

10 Valentine - This town is a village

11 Static in the City - An Unseen Truth

12 Finniston - Peace of Mind