aberdeen-music

Sparta vs The Mars Volta

Traser

This has been a long running argument between me an a few of my mates. Who is better the Mars Volta or Sparta? In my opinion it is the Mars Volta are better, i've seen them live an the gig was amazing!

Help so this long disputed argument can final be stopped.

Guest RomanChoke

Yeah Mars Volta are being progressive just now. Everything they make sounds new and its that one aspect that makes they're music so much greater than other, shitter bands.

Sparta's alright

i like both but at the moment the mars volta i think are more exciting and experimental,(especially live)their album is fantastic,i think sparta are a good solid band but the mars volta have taken risks and it has definitely paid off.

(inetiatic esp. always gets played at moshulu)

Definitely The Mars Volta. They're better, not only than Sparta but, than every band that ever existed. When ATD-I went on "indefinate hiatus" Omar and Cedric took all the talent and creativity and then increased it a ten-fold for the Mars Volta. Sparta have only a few good songs and Jim Ward is crap frontman completely lacking in any kind of charisma.

Guest Marching Children
Originally posted by Jimmy Jazz:

Definitely The Mars Volta. They're better... than every band that ever existed.

Dont be silly!

I'd have to plump for The Mars Volta as well methinks - Sparta are good and all but just aren't as exciting or fresh sounding to me as TMV. Fair enough Omar and Cedric pratted about live a lot with ATD-I [as evidenced on Jools Holland] and Jim kinda held them together a bit but then that was what was exciting about ATD-I - the energy and rush of the whole thing. I just can't see that as well in Sparta as opposed to TMV.

Guest stuartmaxwell

i aint actually heard anything by sparta yet

the mars volta are great, ace gig at the barras last year (shame about the sound though)

It's very difficukt to compare the two I'd say. If members of Sparta and The Mars Volta had not been in such a successful and highly regarded band, they would have very little in common. Sparta are very under-rated at what they do - they are more than just a run of the mill post-hardcore band. I listened to wiretap scars for the first time in ages at a mates house the other day and I did think 'jeez, these guys have actually got something good going here'. I love the Mars Volta, and as Dave said, they do take way more risks musically and they are unbelievable live. So, in conclusion, i'm going to sit on the fence and say I prefer At the Drive-In!!

Guest pop-notmyface

The Mars Volta is the kind of band that moves forward. Sparta isnt doing anything. really just shows ho much Jim and Paul can achieve without Omar and Cedric...

Originally posted by daveofficer:

no contest, mars volta. they're more exciting and take more risks. sparta are great but aren't doing anything exciting or new. it's just jim ward carrying on where he left off with at the drive-in, he's not moved on in anyway.

I'm definately agreeing with dave on this one. Sparta are a great band but, as he as allready said, they are just picking up the reins which were discarded by at the drive in, good idea but, however, has not worked out as well as The Mars Volta.

The Mars volta are truly amazing, like most have said they are amazing live and have yet to play a set on stage which is the same as their previous gig. Their stuff is hard, fast, experimental, crossing new boundaries and all in all, they have the most fucking amazing drummer of all man kind, yes he IS better than john bonham! Even if he did create amazing drumming with Moby Dick and Achilles Last stand.

No doubt, the amrs volta are, not surprisingly, the most exciting, most excillerating bands at the moment! BOOONNGGG!

cheers

adam:band:

I actually prefer Sparta. I know it's not as original or wacky or whatever the devil it is you kids are into these days, but they're songs are so well written.

That's not to say I don't like The Mars Volta - the album's great and the musicianship is spectacular. I guess the whole MV fever kinda passed me by slightly.

I'm really into De Facto though, they put out some great stuff.

Guest Puppets
Originally posted by Birdman:

The Mars volta are truly amazing...Their stuff is hard, fast, experimental, crossing new boundaries.

What new boundaries are they crossing... experimental?

Guest Puppets
Originally posted by Traser:

"What new boundaries are they crossing... experimental?" - Puppets

Name a band that have the sound and energy of The Mars Volta?

exactly! you can't! lol

You still haven't answered, my question!

I aint saying Mars Volta aren't good, but I dont hear any crossing of new boundaries etc. Just a very good rock band.

Originally posted by Jimmy Jazz:

Yeah, De Facto are great, I love Megaton Shotblast. I don't very many people have heard them though. Omar's bass playing in De Facto is almost as fine as his guitar playing.

yeah my flat mates have De Facto's album and it fucking rocks, i was not completely impressed by the mars volta's tremulant ep though, not as impressive as deloused!

and about the whole crossing new boundaries thing, maybe hes just saying they are so experimental and sound sooo good that it makes a change to most other experimental bands out there who sound shite, maybe im just talkin bolloks