aberdeen-music

Robert Johnson

lovers_spit

the story is bs (obviously) 8-) more likely he just practiced a lot. there's a theory regarding him being taught by some unrecorded old blues guy or other.

his music's spooky but not that great, overated in my opinion. similarly he was an impressive guitarist but not really 'incredible'.

watch the 1986's film "crossroads" its based around the story of him selling his soul to the devil then the karate kid tries to find a lost song of his by tracking old willie brown, a harp player that played with robert johnston.

crossroads.jpg

check it out! Crossroads (1986)

the end guitar duel is pretty amusing with stevie vai starring and playing as the devil's guitarist

capture2.JPG

I'm sure I've seen on you tube that you can watch the whole film in parts, whether it's been taking off or not I don't know, have a look!

I enjoyed it :up:

watch the 1986's film "crossroads" its based around the story of him selling his soul to the devil then the karate kid tries to find a lost song of his by tracking old willie brown, a harp player that played with robert johnston.

the end guitar duel is pretty amusing with stevie vai starring and playing as the devil's guitarist

I'm sure I've seen on you tube that you can watch the whole film in parts, whether it's been taking off or not I don't know, have a look!

I enjoyed it :up:

Good call - the movie's a great steaming pile of shite really, but enjoyable in a dumb-ass Top Gun kind of way (same year 1986!).

Middle-class white-boy classical guitar student with bluesman aspirations, springs old black guy from low-security prison to go in search of Robert Johnson's "lost song".

Ry Cooder provides the slide guitar work, Joe Seneca is good fun as Blind Dog Fulton and Jamie Gertz would be gettin' it a'wyze as the token burd.

Vai's "acting" is risible, but his playing is great in the climatic showdown - available right here YouTube - Steve Vai - Crossroads Movie Duel sub en espaol

"The Blues ain't nuttin' but a good man feelin' bad"

'Come on in my kitchen' is one of my all-time faves. It's the scratchy rawness of Robert Johnson's stuff which appeals to me. When I was at school I quite liked Mississippi John Hurt, but found him more laid-back, and less edgy than Johnson.

Agree with some of Dave's reccommendations, but surprised he didn't mention my hero...Scrapper Blackwell (who also played guitar for Leroy Carr).

I go with the above... was average bluesman, disappeared, practiced a lot, came back made a reputation and some recordings then killed by jealous husband/lover. Die young, live forever...standard rock path to icon and mythology.

There's a character in the wonderful film O Brother Where Art Thou that's based on him ...Tommy Johnson, even goes to the Crossroads.

Tommy Johnson actually existed, and there is a theory that much of the mythology centred around Robert Johnson was originally ascribed to Tommy. He only made a handful of recordings (I think there are eight songs which are definitely him on the tape) and he most likely a big influence on his namesake, who started recording several years later.

Other noteable Johnsons include Lonnie Johnson (whose name the then Tony Donegan adopted in tribute) and Blind Wilie Johnson, whose work includes blues standards such as "John The Revelator" and "Nobody's Fault But Mine".

And yes, I missed out Scrapper Blackwell. Sorry Alan, he should have been there. :O

That's a new one to me but you obviously know your stuff...cheers.

And Nobody's Fault But Mine...don't get me started on Led Zeppelin and their "songwriting" credits.

Another theory I read was regarding his death. The theory arose because of the freakishly long fingers he had and the 'on all fours barking like a dog' death. The former at least is apparently consistent with some illness or other. I can't remember the details, read it in some guitar magazine (they got it second hand from some medical journal).