aberdeen-music

Juno

Lemonade

I didn't think I was going to like it, but I watched it last night and absolutely loved it. A brilliant performance from Ellen Page, which is what really makes the movie. The dialogue is really quirky but funny as hell. Really likeable characters (especially Juno herself), and there is great music all the way through. It reminded me a little of Napoleon Dynamite, but about a hundred times funnier. All in all 100% thumbs up, my favourite movie of 2008 so far.

the-juno-movie-poster_292x410.jpg

I really enjoyed it... Although there was disturbing references to Sonic Youth in it. I think I was the only person in the cinema who gasped in disgust.

I absolutely pissed myself laughing when she said "I bought another Sonic Youth album and it sucks! It's just noise!", then I realised that I was the only person in the cinema laughing and I was getting some reaaaaaaally strange looks. I then had to explain (quietly) to my girlfriend that you really have to have heard a Sonic Youth album to get that joke.

I absolutely pissed myself laughing when she said "I bought another Sonic Youth album and it sucks! It's just noise!", then I realised that I was the only person in the cinema laughing and I was getting some reaaaaaaally strange looks. I then had to explain (quietly) to my girlfriend that you really have to have heard a Sonic Youth album to get that joke.

i did exactly the same thing, that was the best line in the film :popcorn:

i actually found the character of juno really annoying for the first half of the film, and it was only when she stopped putting on the sort of alternative kid routine and showed glimpses of how sort of scared i suppose she was that I warmed to her. So basically good character building I would say cos they probably made it that way on purpose. Although at the same time I used to hate Jason Lee's character in Mallrats a little bit. o_O perhaps i'm odd

i did exactly the same thing, that was the best line in the film :popcorn:

i actually found the character of juno really annoying for the first half of the film, and it was only when she stopped putting on the sort of alternative kid routine and showed glimpses of how sort of scared i suppose she was that I warmed to her. So basically good character building I would say cos they probably made it that way on purpose. Although at the same time I used to hate Jason Lee's character in Mallrats a little bit. o_O perhaps i'm odd

She was quite irritating during the initial sequence when she was taking the pregnancy test / on the phone to her mate etc. but she stopped it after about 20 minutes. I assumed they were trying to show how young she really was with all the annoying teenage speak, and when she stopped it was to show that she'd had to grow up quickly with the pregnancy. However I could be totally wide of the mark. Wouldn't be the first time.

The first scene I thought the dialogue was going to bug me all the way through, but it was just the opening scenes. .

Hey Banana, shut your friggin gob! :laughing:

Thought it was good; quirky and fresh..regardless of the disparity between a character who is young and naive yet wiser and wittier than the world around her, for the best part it avoided smart-arse-edness.

I actually thought the Mark / Vanessa relationship was slightly contrived; pushed to the point where they both ended up looking unnecessarily pathetic / neurotic. But yeah, details..

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Juno has made me think that getting a teenage girl pregnant is a good idea.

And that's the most dangerous thing about it, it sugar-coats the whole hideous process. Someone getting up the duff is not, never has, and never will be a good thing.

:up:

you always see these young grotesque girls on the bus wi their bairns, i constantly think to myself "how the fuck did they get their hole?" or the guy they were with must have been uber-desperate for his

juno wasnt a bad film, just cant be arsed wi that actor, im sure thats what hes best at playing, but i think the guy from corrie that does david platt is so much better, and sinister!

decent film. perhaps trying to be too quirky and hip at times but still thought it was great.

it does annoy me how this can be nominated for Best Screenplay whereas Superbad can't. I thought Superbad was a much better 'coming of age' film, and funnier, although i guess Juno had the extra grit and edge because of the subject matter.