aberdeen-music

Broadband services?

Rachie

So it's not unlimited then?

No ISP does offer (or can offer) an unlimited broadband connection. They may not actively throttle or cap the amount of bandwidth you use, but the ISPs that do that now are few and far between. What they all have though is a "fair use" policy which means if you start downloading loads of data and generally taking the piss then they reserve the right to throttle/cap/disconnect your connection - often without any prior notice being given.

Why can't they offer unlimited connections? Because ISPs spend a lot of money buying a specific "allowance" of bandwidth from their upstream Internet providers which they then have to divide up into various packages for their customers (i.e. us) to all use. This bandwidth allowance is not infinite or unlimited - there is only so much data you can physically squeeze down fibre optics and copper wire.

Why the advertising watchdog still lets them all get away with using the word "unlimited" is beyond me because its completely false.

This is exactly why I'm saying there is no unlimited.

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, there's no limit...Techno, techno"....Ahem.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's not unlimited then?

No ISP does offer (or can offer) an unlimited broadband connection. They may not actively throttle or cap the amount of bandwidth you use, but the ISPs that do that now are few and far between. What they all have though is a "fair use" policy which means if you start downloading loads of data and generally taking the piss then they reserve the right to throttle/cap/disconnect your connection - often without any prior notice being given.

Why can't they offer unlimited connections? Because ISPs spend a lot of money buying a specific "allowance" of bandwidth from their upstream Internet providers which they then have to divide up into various packages for their customers (i.e. us) to all use. This bandwidth allowance is not infinite or unlimited - there is only so much data you can physically squeeze down fibre optics and copper wire.

Why the advertising watchdog still lets them all get away with using the word "unlimited" is beyond me because its completely false.

Sky have no fair use policy. If they limit me I can do something about it because it is not in the contract.

Sky for me. Super fast,14Mb. Very helpful if something needs seeing too. Not that I have had real issues. Thought I had but the lovely lady on the found helped me discover that I had a few bugs in my Mac causing slow internet...

I was with BT and had no problem with them. Just moved everything over to Sky for simplicity and a touch cheaper over a year.

Sky for me. Super fast,14Mb. Very helpful if something needs seeing too. Not that I have had real issues. Thought I had but the lovely lady on the found helped me discover that I had a few bugs in my Mac causing slow internet...

I was with BT and had no problem with them. Just moved everything over to Sky for simplicity and a touch cheaper over a year.

I have no idea what a 'found' but it looked like my phone.

maybe you should read your contract.

Unlimited:

Monthly usage limits: Base 2GB; Mid 40GB; Max Unlimited

I can easily cancel if they decide to move the goalposts and change from unlimited:

7. How we can change Sky Broadband (a) Sky Broadband is variable. We can change, replace or withdraw Products at any time. For example, we can vary the maximum speeds or capacity of your chosen Product. If we reduce the level of service provided by your chosen Product and you reasonably consider that you have been disadvantaged by this you may move to another Product or end this Contract under Condition 11, even if you are within your Minimum Term (see Condition 11(a)).

I can easily cancel if they decide to move the goalposts and change from unlimited:

7. How we can change Sky Broadband (a) Sky Broadband is variable. We can change, replace or withdraw Products at any time. For example, we can vary the maximum speeds or capacity of your chosen Product. If we reduce the level of service provided by your chosen Product and you reasonably consider that you have been disadvantaged by this you may move to another Product or end this Contract under Condition 11, even if you are within your Minimum Term (see Condition 11(a)).

translation = "If we notice that you are downloading more than we would like, we will throttle or cap you. If you don't like it, you can fuck off."

You're arguing with yourself now...

Hmmmm

Someone should test this out and see what they do. The wording does suggest unlimited use on the higher package and if they do decide to cap it then that would suggest a breach of contract no?

Personally it makes no odds to me and I didnt buy into then for this reason. Im just a lazy bastard that doesnt need to go to the video shop any more...

• 1 year later...

I'm looking to get an LLU enabled provider in the new year. Seems my choices are Sky, o2/Be or TalkTalk, given I've already ruled out AOL (lol) and Orange on reputation alone. Sky seem excellent from the speedtest results I've seen peeps posting but I'd imagine most folks go with them due to the telly package which I'm not interested in.

So, anyone have a recommendation or have a bad experience with Sky? I think I'm on the Denburn exchange.

Just wading in out of nowhere to say we were on tiscali before switching to virgin. the service was pretty good but when we tried to disconnect to move house they kept charging us for months - had to phone customer services at least 6 times - maybe more - to get them to stop and refund us. they ended up owing us over 400 by the time we got it back. They charged disconnection fees that we weren't supposed to be charged, blah blah blah... Wankers.

Avoid.

No problems with virgin thus far.

xx

Weird, it seems o2 aren't in my neighbourhood according to their site. Not in their LLU enabled network anyway.

That's whittled it down nicely then.

If it helps when I had Sky's LLU service it was the best broadband service I've ever had. Only reason I left was because it wasn't worth paying for their bog standard BT wholesale service when I moved house and got rid of their TV package.

If it helps when I had Sky's LLU service it was the best broadband service I've ever had. Only reason I left was because it wasn't worth paying for their bog standard BT wholesale service when I moved house and got rid of their TV package.

Good to know. Yeah, BTW provided broadband is pretty much the same with any provider, as is line rental because it's all ultimately BT's.

I'm with 02. I've had great service from them. A word of warning though, they've recently brought in new T&Cs with crazy traffic shaping. They haven't actually implemented it on my line (yet) but if they do I'll probably shift.

I've already got that with Plusnet but at least they give you a table to explain where they're doing it and when.

Can't get o2 according to their website.