aberdeen-music

Broadband services?

Rachie

Anyone on here getting anywhere near 8Mb/s other than Chris?

Can't do the BT test as it's not working for me at the moment, but i'm with Sky, on the Denburn exchange, live on Thistle Street, have a junction box next to my house and according to my router:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream

Connection Speed 11599 kbps 764 kbps

Line Attenuation 33.5 db 17.0 db

Noise Margin 7.4 db 14.5 db

00173666.png

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No i wasn't, that must be a new thing upgrade-wise to the Aberdeen exchanges.

The samknows page I linked to earlier says Lochnagar was upgraded to ADSL Max in march 2006. Sky LLU'd it in July 2007, although I was getting similar connection speeds on Freedom2Surf but their shit throttling meant I never saw that reflected in downloads.

Utter nonsense. I get over 5mb/s downstream regularly (usually 6 - 7mb/s) in the Ferryhill area.

My info is out of date (8Mb/s is possible these days, though notice i didn't disagree with the fact that exchanges could support that). I accept that, read the rest of the thread please before posting. What is it with people jumping on a post they disagree with without reading the rest :up:

It seems that Denburn is due for upgrade this March as well.

My info is out of date (8Mb/s is possible these days, though notice i didn't disagree with the fact that exchanges could support that). I accept that, read the rest of the thread please before posting. What is it with people jumping on a post they disagree with without reading the rest :up:

'Cos some of us get testy and reply before you've replied. :p

The samknows page I linked to earlier says Lochnagar was upgraded to ADSL Max in march 2006. Sky LLU'd it in July 2007, although I was getting similar connection speeds on Freedom2Surf but their shit throttling meant I never saw that reflected in downloads.

I didn't realise that, cheers for the correction. As i said, i was wrong. I'm more than happy to admit that. Maybe my mate was talking about Denburn speeds in my area and i misunderstood.

It seems that Denburn is due for upgrade this March as well.

ummm you sure about that??

ADSL Max status: Enabled as of 31/03/2006

ummm you sure about that??

ADSL Max status: Enabled as of 31/03/2006

Notice i said my area. I'm not exactly close to the Denburn exchange. I do get 5.5Mb/s though, that's the most i've ever had. I did see that Denburn supports ADSL Max before.

The upgrade i'm talking about might be to allow support for 24Mb/s, it may just be an operational upgrade.

• 11 months later...
Consumer Broadband

Demon broadband. Had it for ages now. Virtually no problems, great service, and as cheap as anything. It is unlimited so long as you stick to the fair use policy.

17.99 p/m

up to 8mb

my mates introduced me a while back, they are all on it and really like it. Same with me!

I take this back.

Their customer service is shit and gave me wrong figures for my downloads which in turn made me go over my download limit. Now downloads are going at 10kbps and they cant do anything about it as it's capped.

Going to move over to O2 Home Access. Has anyone had any experience of this broadband? 17.13 per month with totally unlimited downloads.

Advice would be appreciated

I have 02, it's the package that you get for 7.99 if you are an 02 customer. Had it since October and I haven't had any problems with capping or download limits, and I'm regularly downloading shitloads of massive files. :up:

How big?

I've just been capped by Demon because I've went over the 50gb limit.

Where do you live by the way? Because I'm half way down Holburn Street and they say I'll need to pay 17 because I'm not in the right area! 7 would be so much better...

I'm an o2 customer too so I'll get the discounted rates.

Ahh, that's probably the reason you get such good a deal!

They have a standard deal, it just depends whether they have "unbundled" your area or not.

For what it's worth I get get downloads at up to 1MB/s through Sky in Aberdeen but uploads were only 40k max, here I get about 350k downloads but uploads are around 100k. In practice however it was pretty rare for me to get enough seeders to get anything like 1MB and I'm happy enough with 350k.

They have a standard deal, it just depends whether they have "unbundled" your area or not.

Indeed. And: Samknows Broadband - Comprehensive Broadband Information

...will tell you your local exchange and what unbundled deals are available. My mate's just about to move in to the Holburn St area and was looking at Sky or O2 for broadband. I think Sky are meant to be unbundling the exchange in March, unless it changes again...

my old man works for BT and he has been on courses lately regarding fiber optic broadband connections, supposlivly they are looking at installing transmitters on lampposts in residential streets and hooking them up to mega fast broadband 50mg i think he said. The way it will work he thinks is, if enough people in a street want it they set up these mini transmitters that kinda set up a network in the street, then these are connected to fiber optic cables to the exchange.

Would be a couple of years before we see it up here tho.

I doubt it.
Yeah, there's no such thing.

re: unlimited

I'm on Sky's MAX service and that is unlimited. I'm a over a mile from the exchange but get 13 Mb download and just over a 1 Mb up. I never get limited in the evenings (like used to happen with BT) and consistetly get 900+Kb in torrent downloads - 24 in HD yaay!

It's only a 15 as well.

It's plastered all over Skys website that it is truly unlimited (Ok if I manage to download Terabytes of data a month or something ridiculous I may get a phone call from them).

I mind the Gadget Show on Five had a campaign about broadband being advertised as unlimited when it never was. Sky were the only ones to turn round and say they would change their policy to unlimited.

Here we go : FiveFWD - Internet Downloads Campaign - Update video from The Gadget Show

It's plastered all over Skys website that it is truly unlimited (Ok if I manage to download Terabytes of data a month or something ridiculous I may get a phone call from them).

So it's not unlimited then?

No ISP does offer (or can offer) an unlimited broadband connection. They may not actively throttle or cap the amount of bandwidth you use, but the ISPs that do that now are few and far between. What they all have though is a "fair use" policy which means if you start downloading loads of data and generally taking the piss then they reserve the right to throttle/cap/disconnect your connection - often without any prior notice being given.

Why can't they offer unlimited connections? Because ISPs spend a lot of money buying a specific "allowance" of bandwidth from their upstream Internet providers which they then have to divide up into various packages for their customers (i.e. us) to all use. This bandwidth allowance is not infinite or unlimited - there is only so much data you can physically squeeze down fibre optics and copper wire.

Why the advertising watchdog still lets them all get away with using the word "unlimited" is beyond me because its completely false.

I just got my o2 broadband now installed and its great.

Free customer service over the phone 24/7. It's even free off my mobile.

Also I asked about the unlimited downloads. I asked if I downloaded a terabyte every month would they have any problem with that and they said no. Unless I was found using illegal activities like spam emails they wouldn't ever contact me about downloads. Maybe not completely unlimited but I doubt many people download over a terabyte a month...