aberdeen-music

Going to Dundee or Glasgow this weekend

Guest batterypowpow

Guest batterypowpow

I've never been to either Dundee or Glasgow so decided i might head off there this weekend. It'll probably just be a one-day visit on Saturday but was wondering where i should go to once i'm there (at either city).

Music shops, fairtrade shops, natural foods shops, museums, galleries, cinemas (i'm into the Belmont, Aberdeen and the Cameo, Edinburgh).

Any suggestions?

Glasgow:

Kelvingrove museum.

Place called the Lighthouse just off Buchanan Street, Jamaica Street I think: climb up and get a nice view of the city.

If the weather isn't too bad have a wander through Kelvingrove park.

West end is packed with second-hand shops and places to eat.

Tchai Ovna tea / shisha cafe (in truth, made primarily for lame-asses, but it's ok once).

If you're there at night go to the Bassment beside the Tennants bar on Byers road: really good atmosphere, funk / hip-hop djs every weekend.

Dundee:

Some boat.

Guest batterypowpow

Ha, yeh, i've decided against Dundee. And decided to stay in Glasgow for a night or 2.

What clubs are recommended? (somewhere i won't feel too out of place being alone) Either Fri or Sat night

Ha, yeh, i've decided against Dundee. And decided to stay in Glasgow for a night or 2.

What clubs are recommended? (somewhere i won't feel too out of place being alone) Either Fri or Sat night

Go to the Queen Margerate Union just off Byers Road. It's fucking awful but safe and student-y.

Bassment recommendation still stands - it's beside the tennants bar if you're asking for directions.

Go to Glasgow.

I second Tchai-Ovna in the West End beside the uni, really unique tea house, feels like you're in Nepal.

Mono is a gold mine, there's a great record shop (Monorail) and a vegan restaurant.

The GFT is amazing if you want to see foreign and independent films, plus you can drink beer in the screens! They also have a film club run by Stephen from The Pastels and sometimes people from Glasgow bands like Franz Ferdinand and Camera Obscura introduce the films.

Fantoosh in Princes Square shopping centre is a great little cafe with a deli and they serve brilliant platters of deli meats and cheese.

Mr Ben's is a really good second hand clothes shop across from Howard Street beside Merchants City, next door to Mono.

Oh and I second Graeme's suggestion about Celtic Connections, go and see Camera Obscura and The Twilight Sad at the ABC on Sunday!

Guest batterypowpow

man i'm so excited about this. dunno how i'm gonna fit it all in though... i've got all day saturday and most of Sunday. Was really wanting to go the GFT on Sunday but the film i want to see ends about 15mins before the bus back here leaves.

Can't find any info about this Bassment place anywhere though. Did come across Soundhaus though - any good?

Yeah it's part of the tenannts bar right at the heart of Byers road. People on the street are more likely to know that place (Tennants), so find it then look to the right and you should see the door, which is usually open to a flight of steps..

Never been to the Soundhaus, though I think it generally puts on techno / electronic stuff. My QMU recommendation was based on your solitary status more than musical considerations :)

Guest Steven Dedalus
Dundee is a miserable decaying shithole, never go there.

On the contrary:

The 12 and a half minutes I would spend in the bus station were reasonably pleasant, and I managed to get out pretty quickly.

Dundee is, in many ways, a far more vibrant, forward thinking City than Aberdeen. Particularly at Local Government level. Our so called leaders could do well to take a leaf out of Dundee's book.

Condeming Dundee is ignorant. So many have clearly just seen the rather unsavoury hosuing schemes whilst driving through it to get further south and form a slightly blinkered idea of what the place is all about. Like chucking someone who's never been in Aberdeen in the middle of Logie and saying "welcome to Aberdeen - this is what we have to offer."

I'd be far more worried about batterypowpow going to Glasgow on his own than just slating Dundee..........

Dundee is, in many ways, a far more vibrant, forward thinking City than Aberdeen. Particularly at Local Government level. Our so called leaders could do well to take a leaf out of Dundee's book.

Condeming Dundee is ignorant. So many have clearly just seen the rather unsavoury hosuing schemes whilst driving through it to get further south and form a slightly blinkered idea of what the place is all about. Like chucking someone who's never been in Aberdeen in the middle of Logie and saying "welcome to Aberdeen - this is what we have to offer."

I'd be far more worried about batterypowpow going to Glasgow on his own than just slating Dundee..........

thank you. What he said.

It used to have a brilliant music scene (electronic and indi think broccolli, Apple Orchard (they used to swap gigs with Leatherface...so that can't be shit!))

and the nights they used to put on were amazing, I'd traveled to see bently rythum ace back in the day.

If you've not visited it recently, get yer arse to the DCA and if you don't think "i wish aberdeen had one of these"...your name must be begin with an S and end in.....

GLASGOW! Dundee isn't as bad as people like to make out, but it's not a patch on this place.

Both Unions at Glasgow Uni are relatively shite, QMU on a Friday is pretty good though. If you're ever there on a Tuesday, they play a healthy mix of various rock and metal beats.

I'd second the Bassment recommendation, it's always a good night. You have GOT to go to Optimo on Sunday night, it is THE greatest night I have ever been to in my life. Clubs in town are pretty predictable, Octopussy at the Arches is alright, you've got the usual "Cram 'em in, get 'em pished" places like Garage and Karbon. ABC plays indie and rock, but it's generally just NME pish. I quite like Kushion and Bamboo, the music is extremely predictable but if you're out for a laugh then they're always good.

Kelvingrove Museum is nice, the Hunterian at Glasgow Uni is just as good though. I'd say the Burrell Collections and Pollok Park in general are well worth a visit too.

Definetely go and see a Celtic Connections show, and Twilight Sad on Sunday - I'll buy you a pint. An outrageously overpriced Fosters, but a pint nonetheless.

For pubs, the Pot Still and Drum & Monkey are city centre favourites, and there are countless nice places in the West End. If you fancy a nice meal, I'd recommend Stravaigin and the Ubiquitous Chip which are both near Byers Road. Ashton Lane is an experience, packed with nice pubs and eating joints. There's a cracking independant cinema on Ashton Lane too, they do sofas!The name escapes me, but it's about a fiver for a showing, and they do a mix of the pick of Hollywood releases and some independant stuff too - if you like Belmont, you'll love it!

I remember when I first went down to Glasgow to just be there. It was a few months before I moved there, and I fell in love with the place instantly.

As far as general shopping goes, whether you're getting a bus or the train you're about a minute away from Buchanan Street/Sauchiehall Street, which are the main shopping hubs. There are lots of smaller streets coming off them, and it's always worth getting a little lost because you'll definately find something you're interested in, and always find your way back to one of the 2 main streets.

Ashton Lane is the most beautiful little street. When the beer festival is on the whole street is opened up for alcohol consumption and the atmosphere is just incredible. As the above person said, they have a Belmont-esque cinema, as well as nice bars/restraunts. You'll find Ashton Lane just off Byres Road in the West End. Get on a subway and get off at Hillhead, turn left when you leave (you exit onto Byres Road), then left again after Iceland.

Stravaigin is lovely, I think that's Gibson Street. Again, get off at Hillhead, leave left, walk down a little bit further to University Avenue and follow that road down to Gibson Street. I'm sure there's a quicker way, but that's the easiest way I can think to direct someone who hasn't been there before. That's also where you'll find Kelvingrove Park. And I do recommend Tchai-Ovna also, which again is just off Gibson Street. It's before the bridge, (or after, if you're heading west) and I think its signposted. It's better in the summer though, spending the day lazing about on their terrace.

Anyone on the street will be happy to tell you how to find things though, and bigger attractions such are Kelvingrove Museum are pretty well signposted.

Hope that was of any help to you, even though it was just repeating what others had said with directions!

Like chucking someone who's never been in Aberdeen in the middle of Logie and saying "welcome to Aberdeen - this is what we have to offer."

logie is awesome stayed there for a few years now and never had a problem,

theres a nice feeling of being part of a community, and the neighbors are friendly compared to other nicer looking places I've lived in

theres a nice feeling of being part of a community, and the neighbors are friendly compared to other nicer looking places I've lived in

Aye community to protect each other..

my car parked there for 5 mins with a bass on show (yeah i stupidly forgot about it..since i was getting something then leaving) as soon as im in the house i hear a noise, glance out and see some ned inside my car nicking my bass...

i seen where the bastard ran into...police go round and no-ones heard of the guy or even aware anything had gone wrong...

bah.. got the bass back in perfect cond though :) Not even outta tune.

Saying that ive parked outside a fair few times. and that is admittidly the only time something like thats happened.

On topic though dundee is ok for a day trip but glasgows ace. what someone said about getting lost is the best way. found a few shops that interested me...and a few that were a little on the odd front..

Aye community to protect each other..

my car parked there for 5 mins with a bass on show (yeah i stupidly forgot about it..since i was getting something then leaving) as soon as im in the house i hear a noise, glance out and see some ned inside my car nicking my bass...

i seen where the bastard ran into...police go round and no-ones heard of the guy or even aware anything had gone wrong...

bah.. got the bass back in perfect cond though :) Not even outta tune.

Saying that ive parked outside a fair few times. and that is admittidly the only time something like thats happened.

On topic though dundee is ok for a day trip but glasgows ace. what someone said about getting lost is the best way. found a few shops that interested me...and a few that were a little on the odd front..

theres people that would do that in any area aberdeen

fortunately you got it back, it seems like a few bad things contrast alot of good things which is a shame

logie has a bad reputation from what it used to be

theres people that would do that in any area aberdeen

fortunately you got it back, it seems like a few bad things contrast alot of good things which is a shame

logie has a bad reputation from what it used to be

Yeah i guess thats true. i'm just still bitter i got a shattered window, damaged case and no-one got done for it.

Though i do have to say one thing for the bastard; he can run very fast...and impressivly got my case out the window too (the case is typical bass cases..huge bastard)

Never implied there was anything wrong with the community or indeed even the people.

As you say, however, it isn't nice looking and that was the point I was making - Dundee is classed as a slum by many ignorant people because the only part of it they see when driving through is the lesser looking area of town. It would be the same if Logie was the only place people saw when driving through Aberdeen - People would form opinions based on what they saw for a few minutes.

Dundee is classed as a slum by many ignorant people because the only part of it they see when driving through is the lesser looking area of town.

Nah all of dundee is manky and run down, I've been there a lot unfortunately, so unless most of it's been miraculously flattened and rebuilt in the last year I fail to see where the "nice" part of it is.