aberdeen-music

Xtc

KimyReizeger

Guest Steven Dedalus

As much as I hate saying it, you can't go wrong with "Fossil Fuel - The SIngles." They really were a singles band, and I think this captures them at their best.

But in terms of actual albums, I'd go for "Black Sea" or "English Settlement."

Which are both gnarly.

As much as I hate saying it, you can't go wrong with "Fossil Fuel - The SIngles." They really were a singles band, and I think this captures them at their best.

But in terms of actual albums, I'd go for "Black Sea" or "English Settlement."

Which are both gnarly.

yeah i'd agree with investing in 'fossil fuel' another good collection is the 4 cd box set of bbc session stuff though i think its a bit pricey. good band though - took me ages to suss out XTC = ecstasy!!! (as well as ian dury = injury)

yeah, cool song. I really like Dear God aswell. There's a wierdness behind it all, like his sometimes really shitty out of tune voice.

Dear God is a great song and yes XTC were great and rank at times and probably own copyright to the phrase "angular yet melodic pop". Great musicians too but a tad too clever for their own good...and I hear a lot of them in quite a few bands like the aforementioned Field Music...who are also a tad too clever at times too.

Making Plans For Nigel, Senses Working Overtime, Generals and Majors, Ball and Chain Sgt. Rock, Mayor of Simpleton ...just a few good old songs.

I liked the first album when it came out, but I can't for the life of me remember it's title. I do remember it was a black cover with loads of white typing on it. It said something about, "now I've got reading this cover....etc" Cracking album. I have got the LP version in the loft. I really must dig it our again when I get back home;)

Guest Steven Dedalus
I liked the first album when it came out, but I can't for the life of me remember it's title. I do remember it was a black cover with loads of white typing on it. It said something about, "now I've got reading this cover....etc" Cracking album. I have got the LP version in the loft. I really must dig it our again when I get back home;)

I think that's actually the second album, "Go 2". The first one was called "White Music" and had them all posing in black and white clothes.

Guest Steven Dedalus
It is really, well there you go it was a very long time ago. I think there is something about battery brides, or wives on it. Cheers

It's a rockin' wee album.

I still prefer some of the later stuff, but the early, post punky stuff, has proved to be massively influential in retrospect. I mean, check out the guitar to stuff like "Love at First Sight" and compare it to people like graham Coxon - they're exactly the same.

I also thing that as songwriters, they intuitively understood the pop single format. Their best singles are self-contained masterpieces.

I love 'em, so I do.