aberdeen-music

Festival anyone?

It was talked about before; but the logistics and money involved in such an event would require organisational skills and motivation beyond anything that anyone here could or would commit.

EDIT: If anything like that were to happen this year, organisation would have had to have started last year.

Torry Youth Prokect used to do one every summer and I seem to remember the figures of puttin something like that on being in region of 2000 to do it properly. With Chris here. In theory would rock as Ive played at one of these but Would take heck of lot of organising which I dont think anyone of this boards could do.

I wouldn't say no one could do it. I am sure if people were willing to be serious about it and get into an organised comitee and REALLY go for it then they could make it happen...the problem would be is there enough of the right people to do it...I suppose we could all wish a a Wayne Stock type situation...

Well I'm getting the opinion that this isn't something that's going to happen anytime soon :0/

Looks like i'll have to keep dreaming bout playing Donnington hah.

Speaking of which, did anyone see Demolition on Scuzz?

The band that won "D-Void" are wank in my opinion. No solos, no double bass. Grrrr. This world needs a metal comeback!

this is something that has been mentioned every year since since I can remember. it's not impossible but up here the local media aren't at all interested in supporting local bands. and you need media coverage to get enough people to come along to a gig like this to break even. otherwise the costs of getting an outdoor licence, finding a location, hiring stage and generators etc are too much as has already been said.

Originally posted by Niall - SubsidiaN:

It's never gone away? Oh come on. Scuzz etc are full of rubbish. Yes Metallica released St Anger, Maiden released Dance of Death - but who are the newest good metal band you've heard of!?! There aint many. Even if new bands are "metal" they have shit solos and are full of pointless screaming. Useless i say!

Just because Scuzz etc are full of rubbish doesn't mean great metal isn't out there you'll just have to put in a little more effort to find it than if it were really main stream.

Guest WalkingOnGlass

I'd imagine it could be done quite easily, the problem is that there wouldn't be the volume of people outwith this site interested

Guest highroller

nah man...it cant be done quite easily...believe me ive been IN DEPTH on this subject a number of years ago and its not at all easy....you cant just do it...you HAVE to provide proof of security, toilet facilities, site safety, first aid and then some and then some................

Guest WalkingOnGlass
Originally posted by Ben Quik:

nah man...it cant be done quite easily...believe me ive been IN DEPTH on this subject a number of years ago and its not at all easy....you cant just do it...you HAVE to provide proof of security, toilet facilities, site safety, first aid and then some and then some................

All you require is 4 or 5 people with a little knowedge of how the local council works, a drive to succeed and some neat marketing ideas and you're more than halfway there...A couple of years ago Mel and I thought about this, and within a couple of hours of digging into things and mapping out some plans we had the initial planning all done, I'm sure if we'd ever got round to the application of it all we'd have pulled it off problem-free...People over-complicate things..

Originally posted by jamesy weapon:

All you require is 4 or 5 people with a little knowedge of how the local council works, a drive to succeed and some neat marketing ideas and you're more than halfway there...A couple of years ago Mel and I thought about this, and within a couple of hours of digging into things and mapping out some plans we had the initial planning all done, I'm sure if we'd ever got round to the application of it all we'd have pulled it off problem-free...People over-complicate things..

Everyone I know who's been involved in putting on small outdoor events swear it's hell and wish they'd never done it.

Larger outdoor events tend to have a lot more anxious people around as well.

Maybe it's because every little detail has to be right before the council will let the show go ahead.

Guest WalkingOnGlass

Maybe if less people were so pessimistic and showed a little more enthusiasm and togetherness then it wouldn't be so much of an apparant struggle..I've been involved in projects much more intense than a one-day outdoor gig, and I assure you, it's quite do-able..