aberdeen-music

FOALS at Moshulu

Graeme

he liked 'the way they stood' graeme did :D

yep, was it because of their Jools Holland appearance, or their (apparant, i didnt know this) lots of Radio 1 airplay, that all those 400+ punters came along? good on Foals for getting that exposure, its how bands 'get big' i suppose...and yes im guessing there were a lot of people there who havent even heard of abdn music

I reiterate what i said in the other thread;

I have a major problem with Foals. The Edmund Fitzgerald piss all over the Foals material. Such a waste of talent going on here, and such a shame. Foals are just boring. They play the most predictable guitar and bass progressions, but try and hide it in their 'intricate', but relatively easy (albeit, well played!) guitars. Bit snobby, like.

I really don't understand the hype around these guys.

The kids should listen to Don Cab instead.

although nothing groundbreaking i thought they were pretty cool

good band to watch, lots going on and quite hard to take in all at once

drummer was fucking good

really nice guys too (despite their ass licking in the press theyre down to earth and if anything they find the hype coverage a little unwelcome id say)

liked the way they played almost like a practice, kinda not facing the audience

and their last three songs (well, hummer , the one after and

after and opening track) all stood out

but the rest of their songs were pretty samey i thought

there was actually a track near the start that sounded so much like hummer that me and patty from rhandleft were watching and both turned to each other at the same time noting it! (so not just me). you could actually sing hummer over it easily.

their recordings are shit hot so maybe they come across better on cd and the album will cement the songs more.sometimes you have to hear them a few times.

i like most of the tracks ive heard and they sound cool on headphones. much dancier almost. and you hear the wee guitar bits better.plus they have this really odd distinctive drum sound that kinda sounds like a clang/ sharp snare which is quite cool.

thing is though, theyre kinda in a tough spot

if you think about it, its because of hype that 400 people came to see a band that have released one single (ok and skins / nme exposure to the max) and thats whats selling tickets to their shows

but their being built up to be this massive super instantly "oh my god" band that they kinda arent just yet (fucking nme). i mean have they even been together that long?

not saying they couldnt be that band in near future as they have massive potential but i just mean people make their minds up so quickly these days (fucking stupid skippy ipod attention span), even on one gig or song, and all that hype can backfire easily!

hope they do well tho, coz their good guys and id rather see them do well and hear them on the radio/ tv all the time than a lot of other bands who are doing my nut in at the moment 24 / 7

x

Well, it's half of the incredible Edmund Fitzgerald, so everyone was waiting with baited breath for what they were going to do next. Talk about a massive disappointment. Although, saying that, i doubt your average punter has heard the Ed Fitz, so why they're this big i can't really understand.

Listen to one Ed Fitz track here: MySpace.com - The Edmund Fitzgerald - - Other - www.myspace.com/theedfitz

Drum/guitar work is incredible. Pissing all over Foals. So so sooo much. There has been talk of a discog cd for ages, collecting all the 7" and 12" material, but still nothing.

Foals originally had Andrew from ymss playing in them as well, so that probably beefed up the hype.

You think the Foals drumming is good? All Yannis plays is that terrible off beat, open hi hat routine. Gaaaah.

Also, Foals sound exactly the same as the stuff on first Rapture record. Uncanny. I just see them as another boring indie band with a hankering for a little piss poor guitar noodling.