aberdeen-music

Peter Dow v. Harlaw Academy on youtube

french_disko

Guest Steven Dedalus
And with a "Nrn Erlnd" slant, how about using your Photoshop magic on something along these lines too?

bestonwogan.jpg

"You're the GEORGE Best"

Believe me, I'd thought about it....

But it didn't feel right.

So I went for a different kind of extinct creature.

(In this case, the triceratops.)

he is mentally ill, you think he's a cunt.

(I think he's a very fragile chap who needs help, but doesn't know it!)

, but, call him names, that'll sort it all out and make it better.

Anyone who has a severe enough mental illness to use it as a viable excuse for some of the things he says, particularly in relation to his spine-chilling search for a woman ('anyone as young as sixteen is acceptable'), would not have the faculties to organise the kind of 'political rallying' that he does.

If you actually talk to people with a delusional mental illness they're generally too bewildered to act in the way he does. People tend to use mental illness as a bit of a blanket term for anyone who doesn't act in the way most people do and I think it's insulting to people with genuine mental illness. There are plenty of people in the world that act like Peter Dow and they aren't mentally ill.

Anyone who has a severe enough mental illness to use it as a viable excuse for some of the things he says, particularly in relation to his spine-chilling search for a woman ('anyone as young as sixteen is acceptable'), would not have the faculties to organise the kind of 'political rallying' that he does.

If you actually talk to people with a delusional mental illness they're generally too bewildered to act in the way he does. People tend to use mental illness as a bit of a blanket term for anyone who doesn't act in the way most people do and I think it's insulting to people with genuine mental illness. There are plenty of people in the world that act like Peter Dow and they aren't mentally ill.

In one of his videos he mentions being jailed/in court "for not going to a mental hospital" so I suspect he does have some history of psychiatric problems.

Also you are clearly totally naive about the nature and various manifestations of "mental illness", if you think someone has to be drooling at the mouth and babbling on about insane psychotic delusions to be considered "mentally ill" you're an idiot.

In one of his videos he mentions being jailed/in court "for not going to a mental hospital" so I suspect he does have some history of psychiatric problems..

For a start I have no reason to belief that's true just because he says it. You would not be jailed for not going to a mental hospital, you would be sectioned, think it through.

Also you are clearly totally naive about the nature and various manifestations of "mental illness", if you think someone has to be drooling at the mouth and babbling on about insane psychotic delusions to be considered "mentally ill" you're an idiot.

Secondly, if there is one thing I am not naive about it is mental illness. At no point did I say you have to be delusional and 'drooling' to be mentally ill. What I said was, he does not in my opinion, display symptoms of mental illness,

What about him makes you think he's mentally ill? He does not have any delusions, does not seem to be depressed or anxious, he's just a bit weird. From the videos and his writings he seems to be incredibly lucid and perceptive, he just has some rather unpleasant views of the world. We cannot call anyone who has opinions that we find strange mentally ill.

I completely understand he might have some form of mental problem, but I certainly do not think it's enough to justify the way he acts. He's essentially just a lonely, angry man who's watched Braveheart too much and probably wanted to be in the military.

Secondly, if there is one thing I am not naive about it is mental illness. At no point did I say you have to be delusional and 'drooling' to be mentally ill. What I said was, he does not in my opinion, display symptoms of mental illness,

Are you a clinical psychiatrist? No, you aren't. Your opinion means fuckall because you quite clearly do not know what you are talking about. If you want an account of just how lucid even the most deranged schizophrenic can be go and read daniel schrebers "memoirs of my nervous illness". I have experienced first hand people in the grip of a psychotic episode ( one of the most frightening experiences of my life ) and one of my aquaintances became a genuine schizophrenic, it is a subject which fascinates me and frankly you need to go and read a fucking book before posting bullshit like "imo he is not a mental".

Are you a clinical psychiatrist? No, you aren't. Your opinion means fuckall because you quite clearly do not know what you are talking about."

I'm not a clinical psychiatrist you're right. I have studied psychology and psychiatry for three years though, so as far as 'reading a fucking book', I've done a fair bit of that. I've also known people very close to me with mental illnesses and I've been pretty much surrounded with psychiatry and psychology all my life as both my father and grandfather were psychologists but I don't think that makes my understanding of an indiviudals mental state any greater so I'm not entirely sure why it's relevant to bring up your first hand knowledge of an individuals mental illness. Mental illness is highly individual, it's not like the flu.

It's a totally pointless debate as neither of us know the guy, I don't know he's not mentally ill anymore than you know he is. My only point is I can't actually see what aspect of his personality you consider to show signs of mental illness. The evidence for me however just points to him being a bit weird and a total dick. He's been chucked out of both universities in Aberdeen, I'm sure they would have been more lenient had it been illness and not just generally causing trouble.

I'm not a clinical psychiatrist you're right. I have studied psychology and psychiatry for three years though, so as far as 'reading a fucking book', I've done a fair bit of that. I've also known people very close to me with mental illnesses and I've been pretty much surrounded with psychiatry and psychology all my life as both my father and grandfather were psychologists

Why are you spouting such ignorant nonsense then? I suppose it's because you're just another clueless undergraduate who's gone through the motions, presumably if you had actually graduated you would have mentioned the fact, you pompous twit.

If you actually talk to people with a delusional mental illness they're generally too bewildered to act in the way he does

This is just not true, not to mention incredibly patronising. What is a "delusional mental illness" anyway? Didn't they teach you the proper terms to use in your psychiatry course? Perhaps the case studies you analysed as part of your apparent three years study of psychology and psychiatry were just off their tits on clonazepam?

Anyhow, peter dow is clearly not delusional by any stretch of the imagination, I would tell you why but I'm not so presumptious as to offer a fucking diagnosis of the poor bloke on a public forum though.

Why are you spouting such ignorant nonsense then? I suppose it's because you're just another clueless undergraduate who's gone through the motions, presumably if you had actually graduated you would have mentioned the fact, you pompous twit.

This is just not true, not to mention incredibly patronising. What is a "delusional mental illness" anyway? Didn't they teach you the proper terms to use in your psychiatry course? Perhaps the case studies you analysed as part of your apparent three years study of psychology and psychiatry were just off their tits on clonazepam?

Anyhow, peter dow is clearly not delusional by any stretch of the imagination, I would tell you why but I'm not so presumptious as to offer a fucking diagnosis of the poor bloke on a public forum though.

The difference between me and you is, I'm quite willing to admit he might be mentally ill, I just don't get the impression he is. I haven't been rude to you in this thread or said anything personally derogatory to you, yet you're quite happy to lay into me personally. Strange that you moan about 'low blows' and 'personal attacks' whenever it's directed at you.

For the record I think mental illness is a woefully under-funded and neglected area of medicine and I have genuine empathy for people who suffer from it. I just think this guy has some rather repulsive views that stem from something outwith mental illness. I also completely agree with you that he's not delusional, I don't think he has any signs of anything connected with a mental illness. It's seems a lot more like classic attention-seeking behaviour than anything else.

And no I haven't graduated, but I still reckon I'm pretty up on the topic. Next time there's a thread about computers though I think you'll be able to hold your own ;)

The difference between me and you is, I'm quite willing to admit he might be mentally ill, I just don't get the impression he is. I haven't been rude to you in this thread or said anything personally derogatory to you, yet you're quite happy to lay into me personally. Strange that you moan about 'low blows' and 'personal attacks' whenever it's directed at you.

For the record I think mental illness is a woefully under-funded and neglected area of medicine and I have genuine empathy for people who suffer from it. I just think this guy has some rather repulsive views that stem from something outwith mental illness. I also completely agree with you that he's not delusional, I don't think he has any signs of anything connected with a mental illness. It's seems a lot more like classic attention-seeking behaviour than anything else.

And no I haven't graduated, but I still reckon I'm pretty up on the topic. Next time there's a thread about computers though I think you'll be able to hold your own ;)

It's nothing personal atall, you're simply wrong and ignorant. It's just unforunate that you try to qualify your inane, throwaway bullshit statements by trying to claim that you have anything more than a laymans understanding of psychiatric illness. I don't give a toss what your grandad and your dad do, it bears no relation to your actual knowledge and I'm sure they would be disgusted to read your posts in this thread.

from peter dows own website

I was examined in prison by a complete idiot of a psychiatrist, named Lamour. The bitch said that she thought I WAS suffering from mental illness and she was going to recommend that I be further remanded (after the three weeks) for further examination at Cornhill Hospital.

*shrug*

I don't give a toss what your grandad and your dad do, it bears no relation to your actual knowledge and I'm sure they would be disgusted to read your posts in this thread.
I've also known people very close to me with mental illnesses and I've been pretty much surrounded with psychiatry and psychology all my life as both my father and grandfather were psychologists but I don't think that makes my understanding of an indiviudals mental state any greater so I'm not entirely sure why it's relevant to bring up your first hand knowledge of an individuals mental illness.

Read it again Sigmund, it was a response to you initially using stories of people from your own life who experienced mental illness and I was trying to point out that even though I'm sure most of us have known people with mental illness yet it makes no difference to your understanding of Peter Dow.

It really annoys me that most people who are strange and have negative reputations are seen as 'mentally ill', doesn't do much for people's understanding of mental illness when people are so quick to call people with shitty opinions mentally ill.

I know you're trying to make it seem like I was trying to use my 'credentials' to further my argument but you'll notice I didn't actually bring up what I studied until you suggested I 'read a fucking book' on the subject.

You're still perservering with the insults though. I liked 'inane, throwaway bullshit', I think that's how one of my lecturers described my last exam paper coincidentally enough.

from peter dows own website
I was examined in prison by a complete idiot of a psychiatrist, named Lamour. The bitch said that she thought I WAS suffering from mental illness and she was going to recommend that I be further remanded (after the three weeks) for further examination at Cornhill Hospital.

*shrug*

Oh I didn't see that bit. Well he's definitelly mentally ill then, Lamour's nailed it. Close the thread........

Read it again Sigmund, it was a response to you initially using stories of people from your own life who experienced mental illness and I was trying to point out that even though I'm sure most of us have known people with mental illness yet it makes no difference to your understanding of Peter Dow.

It really annoys me that most people who are strange and have negative reputations are seen as 'mentally ill', doesn't do much for people's understanding of mental illness when people are so quick to call people with shitty opinions mentally ill.

I know you're trying to make it seem like I was trying to use my 'credentials' to further my argument but you'll notice I didn't actually bring up what I studied until you suggested I 'read a fucking book' on the subject.

You're still perservering with the insults though. I liked 'inane, throwaway bullshit', I think that's how one of my lecturers described my last exam paper coincidentally enough.

I literally didn't read this because you are obviously quite pathetically just trying to justify the completely ignorant and naive nonsense you have been spouting in this thread.

Seriously go and read a fucking book, educate yourself, and leave peter dow alone.

Seriously go and read a fucking book, educate yourself, and leave peter dow alone.

You're right enough. It is an awful state of affairs for the boy, and it's not fair to be making small talk about his life on an internet forum. You're totally right........

Hold on, anyone remember this thread? http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/general-discussion/44277-scottish-nationalists.html

*cough*

Are you a clinical psychiatrist?

No, you aren't.

You're right, I'm not, but I'm not claiming otherwise - unlike this guy who claims to have studied the subject for 3 years yet comes out with ignorant, offensive rubbish like "delusional people are generally too bewildered to do anything". Claiming there is nothing wrong with the guy and hes just a twat with some strange views, therefore fair game for taking the piss out of, going to his house and winding him up even, is equally offensive.

Anyway, his own website makes it clear that a psychatrist *did* consider him to have problems, but why let facts get in the way?

You're right, I'm not, but I'm not claiming otherwise - unlike this guy who claims to have studied the subject for 3 years yet comes out with ignorant, offensive rubbish like "delusional people are generally too bewildered to do anything". Claiming there is nothing wrong with the guy and hes just a twat with some strange views, therefore fair game for taking the piss out of, going to his house and winding him up even, is equally offensive.

Anyway, his own website makes it clear that a psychatrist *did* consider him to have problems, but why let facts get in the way?

Oh dear. At no point did I say it was fair for anyone to go to his house and wind him up. Most of the people on this thread have taken the piss out of him and think he's mentally ill.

Surely it's more offensive to actually believe he's mentally ill and still take the piss out of him?

Can I again remind you of this thread http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/general-discussion/44277-scottish-nationalists.htmlthat you started. And theres is absolutely no way you can claim it was for any other purpose than to gain amusement from a man you percieve as having a mental illness.

You should really try and remember what shit you've spouted in the past before you jump on a high horse and contradict it a few months later.

And theres is absolutely no way you can claim it was for any other purpose than to gain amusement from a man you percieve as having a mental illness.

You should really try and remember what shit you've spouted in the past before you jump on a high horse and contradict it a few months later.

I'm amazed that you're sad enough to go trawling through archives looking for stuff like that.

Anyway, I posted that thread using him as an example of rabid scottish nationalists, not in anyway the kind of pathetic bullshit that people have been posting about the guy in this thread. At no point was I doing anything other than linking to one of his videos as a curiosity.

Have you got any more vain attempts to make yourself feel like your winning the argument, or are we done now?

I'm amazed that you're sad enough to go trawling through archives looking for stuff like that.

Only took about 30 seconds in the search function, it was hardly Indiana Jones at the National Library.

Anyway, I posted that thread using him as an example of rabid scottish nationalists, not in anyway the kind of pathetic bullshit that people have been posting about the guy in this thread. At no point was I doing anything other than linking to one of his videos as a curiosity.

This would be almost believable if the quote of his you had used had been about his rabid Nationalism and not his mental health problems.

Have you got any more vain attempts to make yourself feel like your winning the argument, or are we done now?

Nah I'm pretty happy with the result.

You've diagnosed a man with a mental illness based on YouTube videos and his account of a trip to court.

You've decided to take some kind of moral high ground despite trying to draw everyones attention to the guy in the first place.

And you've used every one of your posts to try and make me look stupid and insult me, while I've been rather nice and tried to have a normal bit of debate.

Time to change username and start again maybe?