aberdeen-music

New Aberdeen Festival...?

That-tickles

I recenty attended a seminar by Aberdeen Council's officer for Culture and Leisure and discussed with him the possiblities of getting funding for a new festival in Aberdeen City championing some of the good new music being produced here.

The basic idea would be a series of gigs at various venues around the city culminating in a larger outdoor show at somewhere like the castlegate/union street etc.

He offered to help with the proposal for grant money and present the idea to the council if we could raise enough interest and i just wonder what everyone thought. He thinks there's a very good chance we'll get the funding and the council's support.

Now that go north has all but deserted us for inverness i feel we need something like this but was interested in firstly what other people thought and secondly , the kind of things that people would like to see as part of such an event.

I plan to get together a commitee once we get some funding so anyone that thinks they would like to get involved in any way be it website design, promo, bands, magazines, photographers, etc, etc. Then get in touch because we'll need you all to make this work.

So yea... discuss please or pm or send me an email at that-tickles@hotmail.co.uk.

Cheers.x

I recenty attended a seminar by Aberdeen Council's officer for Culture and Leisure and discussed with him the possiblities of getting funding for a new festival in Aberdeen City championing some of the good new music being produced here.

The basic idea would be a series of gigs at various venues around the city culminating in a larger outdoor show at somewhere like the castlegate/union street etc.

He offered to help with the proposal for grant money and present the idea to the council if we could raise enough interest and i just wonder what everyone thought. He thinks there's a very good chance we'll get the funding and the council's support.

Now that go north has all but deserted us for inverness i feel we need something like this but was interested in firstly what other people thought and secondly , the kind of things that people would like to see as part of such an event.

I plan to get together a commitee once we get some funding so anyone that thinks they would like to get involved in any way be it website design, promo, bands, magazines, photographers, etc, etc. Then get in touch because we'll need you all to make this work.

So yea... discuss please or pm or send me an email at that-tickles@hotmail.co.uk.

Cheers.x

I like it! When would it be?

What a useful comment stripey....

Thats the question i'm asking i've got my own ideas of what i'd like to see but this an oppertunity for you to shout loudly what you WOULD like to see as part of a new festival. I assume given your comment that you have got an opinion.

We need an event like this to give the bands/musicians that want it an chance to do something bigger and music followers in aberdeen to have something to get excited about.

The money for these things is sitting in coucil purses doing nothing because no one has stepped up to make it happen.

As far as scale goes that depends entirely on the amount of funding and sponsorship we are able to secure and how much support we get from locals business, musicians, press etc.

The aim primarily would be to present a med to large scale local event in conjuction with smaller events around the city. Featuring a well promoted program of quality local acts.

There are also ideas being thrown around about trying to get northsound involved in some way, a possible compliation of the featured acts, a film of the event but again this depends on securing the funding and personel.

It's very much a case of deciding what is feisable in the time scale and budget the first time round but i would hope to extend it to further years if it was a success.

As far as our ability to make it happen is concerned, i personally have been involved in the aberdeen music scene for about 5 years both playing and promoting however we will be working closely with the council, creative culture scotland, the aberdeen international youth festival and the cultural enterprise office and others to both present proposal for funding and also to carry out planning for the event. My ultimate responsability will be to engage and co-ordinate as many local organisations and individuals as possible to lend their expertise towards the execution of the event. This is something I feel i'm more than cabable of doing with the help of a driven commitee which we are already putting into place.

Again, I would make the appeal to anyone wishing to get involed in some capasity to get in touch via aberdeen music or preferably email: that-tickles@hotmail.co.uk

Also, i would stress that things are at a very early stage so now is the time to speak up with regards to suggestions of a name for the overall event, where you would like to see events happen, what bands/artists you would like to see, where you think the main event should be held and the kinds of related merch you would be interested in (cd's,DVD, t'shirts etc). Anything will be lookied at an concidered carefully because I think we could really have something to be proud of here if we all try and make it work.

What have we got to lose.....

aye

Good old Country and western acid house electronica with a wee bit of rock and reggae and ska and inane banter , and nae doot a pot or pan being walloped a fair few times tae.

Vote Biz for more comedy musical shennanigans .

We need some comedy and poetry, seeing bands gets a bit tedious and ye need something to balance it oot.

Oh, and good food tae.

And eclectic DJs like me, och gaes a job, cheers Biz.

The organisation I have formed to deal with the request for funding for the proposed festival is The Fringe Aberdeen Project and I have now set up a Myspace account (MySpace.com - The Fringe Aberdeen Project - UK - Alternative - www.myspace.com/fringeaberdeen) and a hotmail (fringeaberdeen@hotmail.com) to get things rolling an the net.

So now if you want to get involved you can check out the myspace and give us an add.

This should help get things rolling on the web. The feedback to far has been possitve and plentiful so keep it coming.

Cheers. Chris.

would you not be looking to get a committee and the ideas together before you get the funding? surely they'd not secure the funding hoping that what you create will be worth what they've just given you.

but other than that, good on you!

and the people of aberdeen want to see stripey sitting on a folding chair pressing buttons - give it to them!

/x

I think that there is a lot of good artists in Aberdeen, but in my own personal experience there is also a lot of little cliques. A prime example is that the University of Aberdeen music department has just had the sound festival with world premieres every week, but it's always the same people that attend. I think that if people really wanted to do something unique and constuctive for the music scene in Aberdeen, we should concentrate on collaboration between genres of music. I am thinking along the lines of the BBC electric proms, juxtaposing different genres of music together. This would help build a strong sense of community spirit, and would put us in good stead to be creative and unique.

I would love to get involved in the organisation of a music event, I will send an e-mail.

Cheers, Jayne.

I'd like it if the north-east got a proper festival, maybe similar to something like connect.

Every region in Britain now seems to have a fairly decent festival bar the north-east. I'm not remotely interested in local music, no offense, but it would be great if one or two decent bands could be attracted to a weekend festival.

Connect got Jesus and the Mary Chain, Beastie Boys, Modest Mouse and Idlewild which is pretty good going.

Scotland could do with another major festival, particularly after the absolutely horrendous lineup T in the Park had this year.

Not only would it benefit the local area but it would mean I could come home from a festival without having to travel for hours feeling absolutely depressed and ill!

You know what aberdeen needs?

Less backward, smallminded uncultured pricks and their snide comments about people who are actually trying to do something different would be a good start. Then again when the people coming out with this crap are actually in positions like TwoJoe is what hope is there?

Less backward, smallminded uncultured pricks and their snide comments about people who are actually trying to do something different would be a good start. Then again when the people coming out with this crap are actually in positions like TwoJoe is what hope is there?

Am I missing something?

If you are referring to my comment then let it be known that it wasn't meant as snide remark. A cheeky bit of banter, a genuine request, why not? Why not get involved in something like this and put your money where your mouth is? And if you are suggesting that I am a' smallminded uncultured prick', well, whatever, it doesn't really warrant a response... Can I suggest some Kalms?

Less backward, smallminded uncultured pricks and their snide comments about people who are actually trying to do something different would be a good start.

Classic.

So...that's you out the picture, eh!

Oh, sorry...you are Cultured...you are not snide, you are not small minded, you do not put others down when they actually try to do something different.

I keep forgetting there are two Stipleys on this forum.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
very little decent 'proper' DJs

I'm working on it, having just finally had the money to get my beloved 2nd turntable, and have been working on my scratching for the last few months - having an 'all welcome' christmas party at cellar 35 on 21st of dec and should hopefully be spinning some cool tunes with a little scratching on the side, feel free to come down and join in the good times

:up:

I'm working on it, having just finally had the money to get my beloved 2nd turntable, and have been working on my scratching for the last few months - having an 'all welcome' christmas party at cellar 35 on 21st of dec and should hopefully be spinning some cool tunes with a little scratching on the side, feel free to come down and join in the good times

:up:

Sounds pretty interesting. I shall try and make it :up:

If not, then I would like to hear anything you happen to record/mix :)

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Sounds pretty interesting. I shall try and make it :up:

If not, then I would like to hear anything you happen to record/mix :)

I have one little idea up at MySpace.com - Phat Beatz Inc. - UK - Hip Hop / Breakbeat / Turntablism - www.myspace.com/phatbeatzinc

and i made a christmas mini mix last year which i will link you to once i upload it again