aberdeen-music

Cranial-The Severity of Brutality(new song)

SeaOfEnergy

That sounds a lot better to me than your older stuff. It seems to have a lot more flow to it whereas I found some of the older songs were held together a little ackwardly. My one complaint is that you could perhaps chop out about two minutes somewhere in the middle or have something else going on in there.

Hope you sort out the bassist situation soon.

cheers for havin a listen, to be fair to our other songs they were recorded really rushed, and we hadnt had time to tighten etc(had to hand in e.p for college course) , so the older songs sound alot better now we've reworked them a bit, glad you like it better anyway, also the recording doesnt get the faster bits across very well especially near the end(partly because of the guitar sound being overpowered by the drums/vocals, partly cuz of mistakes), which is why we're not happy with it overall, but its just to give folk an idea of what we're working towards.

Some of the playing and the riffs are really cool, especially the fast stuff around the 3 minute mark. The first clean section with heaps of delay is really good, reminds me of Tool which I guess is what you are going for. Although I'd say the song doesn't necessarily need to break down into clean again... (around the 5 minute mark). That section seemed a little unnecessary.

I think it's weakest aspects are the heavy guitar tone which is very thin, and not powerful enough to make a heavy band like yourselves sound as heavy as you should. And also the vocal delivery. I like a lot of death metal vocals but these sound very generic. Constant low grunts sound very undynamic - which is a shame, when your band could have a lot of dynamics.

Also I know you are going for the whole prog thing, but I'd say the song needs a little work on the structuring to give it an element of being a 'song' rather than a collection of riffs and ideas. Latter period Death, Atheist and Cynic would be good reference points in terms of structuring a death metal song progressively, yet with a sense of direction rather than riff soup.

I'd say there is loads of potential in there though. With a better production (guitar tone in particular), some vocal variation (not necessarily a fucking vocoder like Cynic!) and some structure refinement and you could be onto a real winner.

The production on the drums I really like. And yours and Lawrie's playing is tight as fuck.

My main criticism's is the sounds lacks "meat" but I suppose that's due to lack of bassist (I know, it seems to be a curse for you guys) and the guitar tone, like Dan says, is very thin. A bit more variety in the vocals would be nice, but at the same time, the growls are solid so can't complain too much.

The only other thing, which is totally personal preference, is I think it's too long. But thats just me, I like short and fast.

the clean parts are cool. the heavy parts i don't like, but i don't like a lot of this type of guitar playing... same with the vocals. i do think it sounds a bit bolted together and incoherent. i would lose the early heavy part and just start with the tool type section, the move from that into the heavy part sounds fine. needs a new title 8-)

cheers to all of you for the words of wisdom, i definately agree with the guitar tone being shite, one of the main reasons that we're not happy with the recording, although like i said before just wanted to give an indication of our direction and see what the general opinion of it was.

scottyboy

the clean parts are cool. the heavy parts i don't like, but i don't like a lot of this type of guitar playing...

well no offense but kind of wanted the feedback from people who do like this style of music/playing. I dont think i could give very good feedback on a indie band for example because i generally just think its shite.cheers fro havin a listen n e way i spose:up:

I think it is an improvement over the older songs (not saying they're bad).

I like the epic-ness of it and the fact that the heavy parts 'fit' with the clean parts. I like the backing vocals, more of that kind of thing would be cool...The slow riff at the end is crushing!!!

The things that need improvement are just production things like the balance between the distorted and clean sound but I understand this is just a demo type of thing.

• 2 weeks later...

well no offense but kind of wanted the feedback from people who do like this style of music/playing. I dont think i could give very good feedback on a indie band for example because i generally just think its shite.cheers fro havin a listen n e way i spose:up:

metal i like, progressive rock/metal i like... death metal i don't like a lot of, but i do like some 8-)