aberdeen-music

female solo artists

David Insurrection

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a really tough one. In no particular order (other than my number one).

1) Joanna Newsom - My definite favourite, she's a total genius and I dont use that word lightly. I don't even think she has an official MySpace which makes her even cooler, but I would suggest watching this video of a new song she did on the last tour. I saw her in London and this song was breathtaking.

2) Regina Spektor - She writes the most amazing pop songs and plays them in the most twisted manner. She can go from playing beautiful piano ballads to beat-boxing in an English accent and hitting a chair with a drumstick.

MySpace.com - regina spektor - NEW YORK, NEW YORK - Acoustic / Alternative / Punk - www.myspace.com/reginaspektor

3) Kate Bush - Hounds of Love. End of story.

4) Alessi - She's a fairly new, young artist, but I instantly thought she was amazing. Kind of somewhere between Joanna Newsom, T-Rex when they were a folk band and Bat For Lashes.

MySpace.com - Alessi (music) - London, UK - Folk - www.myspace.com/alessimusic

5) Jenny Lewis - I prefer her with Rilo Kiley to her solo stuff, but Rabbit Fur Coat was a stunning album, and I'd put her in my top 5 lyricists of the modern age.

MySpace.com - www.myspace.com/lewiswithwatsons

Joanna Newsom

Kate Bush

Both highly agreeable choices... That said, I've never really dived into Miss Newsoms material after Milk Eyed Mender, nothing against the new material, but I love that particular album (as possibly a guilty pleasure) too much, to really move on

from it. It's innocence is inspiring

I'd like to nominate some unique female artists if I may:

Jessica Rylan: Gorgeous noise combined with singer/songwriter tendencies, a rare talent in far too many ways...

Lidyia Lunch: I'd perhaps check out her post-Teenage Jesus and the Jerks stuff if youre feeling a tad adventurous... but then I've been told that what I have is perhaps not her, due to downloading, but if so, the music Ive heard is awesome!!!

Jarobe: Ex Swans singer/keyboardist. I'd say some of her stuff is a tad pick n mix, but I'd honestly just go for whatever you can get hold of to determine your enjoyment value...

Alice Coltrane (R.I.P.) Sister to John Coltrane, yet sometimes far more influential, well at least to me - please realise that statement as self centric opinion rather than fact. Experimented with eastern music within jazz constructs, good chill-out/psych-out music

That'll do me for now, I'd love for people to enjoy, if anyone checks this lot out, but I realise a lot of this stuff isn't for everyone. Please go in with an open mind.

Guest bluesxman
Alice Coltrane (R.I.P.) Sister to John Coltrane,

She was his wife wasn't she? Anyway, 'Journey To Satchidananda' is an amazing album, I have a few others that aren't so great.

My favourites in no particular order would be -

Regina Spektor,

Kate Bush,

PJ Harvey,

Cat Power,

Nancy Sinatra,

Marianne Faithfull,

Nico,

Dot Allison,

Isobel Campbell.

Isobel Campbell

Kate Bush

Bjork

Vanessa Carlton

Emmylou Harris

PJ Harvey

Dusty Springfield

I could be here all day, however these are probably my Faves!!

Oh and Christina Aguilera, i think she has an amazing voice (among other things), she was ace when i saw her in Manchester on her Stripped tour.

Both highly agreeable choices... That said, I've never really dived into Miss Newsoms material after Milk Eyed Mender, nothing against the new material, but I love that particular album (as possibly a guilty pleasure) too much, to really move on

from it. It's innocence is inspiring

I don't really understand how Joanna Newsom can be a guilty pleasure! She's one of the most unique, intricate and non-commercial artists of the modern age. Although maybe you mean because she doesnt sound like anyone else you listen to, it seems like a guilty pleasure.

She only has one other full album, other than The Milk-Eyed Mender, but I'd strongly suggest having a listen. It's kind of like the foundation of her first album, with huge orchestrations behind it. There's only 5 songs on the album but they all range from between 7 and 16 minutes long. It's like 5 epic stories set to song, but without ever straying into Prog-like territory.

I don't really understand how Joanna Newsom can be a guilty pleasure! She's one of the most unique, intricate and non-commercial artists of the modern age. Although maybe you mean because she doesnt sound like anyone else you listen to, it seems like a guilty pleasure.

She only has one other full album, other than The Milk-Eyed Mender, but I'd strongly suggest having a listen. It's kind of like the foundation of her first album, with huge orchestrations behind it. There's only 5 songs on the album but they all range from between 7 and 16 minutes long. It's like 5 epic stories set to song, but without ever straying into Prog-like territory.

I find her to a bit like eating copious amounts of sweets, great at the time and quite often very enjoyably, but sometimes overindulgence makes you feel sick, or leaves that sugary residue on your teeth. That was an awful analogy, but it's the best I can muster just now.

I've been meaning to check out the new one, might do so next time I venture forth into town.

There's a live Joanna Newsom one....but it's probably a b******g.

10 not-so-well known, but pretty damn good...

Ai Aso

Pamela Wyn-Shannon

Sharron Kraus

Larkin Grimm

Marissa Nadler

Barbara Manning

Meg Baird

Sonya Hunter

Fursaxa

Mary Hampton

10 I enjoyed who were kindly brought to Aberdeen by Interesting Music

Haley Bonar

Gemma Ray (not sure if this was IMP actually?)

Larkin Grimm

Marissa Nadler

Alela Diane

Simone White

Amy Rigby

Astrid Williamson

Josephine Foster

Kathryn Sawers

5 'lost by the wayside'...

Linda Perhacs

Shelagh MacDonald

Judy Dyble